On3 Finally Throws in the Canes Towel

Advertisement
Wtf is a on3?
https://www.on3.com/

It’s the 3rd recruiting site that has emerged this year as an alternative to 247 & Rivals.

It was founded by the creators of 247 & Rivals, but it’s catch is it’s a more analytics based site.

It’s supposed to be less speculation based & more numbers/algorithm based in terms of how they rate prospects, but it’s still in its infancy stage as a website & has had some issues with their recruiting predictions because they’ve pretty much categorically ignored teams that they haven’t hired a primary writer or analyst to cover.

Advertisement
F On3 but also this is a good thing. More analyst and recruiting sites talking about us, the better.

Advertisement
https://www.on3.com/

It’s the 3rd recruiting site that has emerged this year as an alternative to 247 & Rivals.
Strictly far as the accuracy and depth of their player evaluations and ratings overall coverage of recruiting, how do the 247, Rivals and On3 networks stack up?

Know a lot of folks visit those sites for the message boards and team coverage, but I'm more interested in what they deliver (or don't deliver) from the recruiting analysis and expertise standpoint.

Why you can’t take these sites too seriously. They are recruiting on monster.com and people will still hang on every word they report

CIS is the best there is but even here, take it all with a grain of salt. We were told the roster would be unrecognizable but aside from DL, it’s pretty much the same.

When the hype and talk ends and you just look at the facts and results, Mario’s first class was ranked somewhere in the average Al Golden /Manny range, and the transfer portal gave us some serviceable depth plus a couple studs on DL but whiffed at RT and LB.

Rather than being a total overhaul, this team has gone from average to slightly above average which doesn’t live up to the hyped expectations

Wrong. Cis said the defense and primarily the front seven would look completely different , not the entire roster. That’s impossible in a couple months. I can bump the post if ya want. We expected more guys to leave but we never said the crazy numbers like Ferman and some others. Like 10-15.

We’ve added Lictenstein, Moultree, Jackson, Agude, Messidor , C Johnson and Porter. That’s a completel face lift. And that’s more than serviceable players. That’s pretty good to good players you’ve added.

Comparing Mario’s transition class to Al or Manny’s average class is one of the dumber things i’ve read here in a long time. I’m not sure if this is a troll on your part or just ignorant. Mario threw together a top 15 class even though he showed up in Dec. Al’s classes were just big and moatly three stars. This was a quality class, small but the class score blows the two bums away in their normal full class.

You probably said all of that just as you’re describing, but there were others saying we would add more. I said CIS not Cribby, so just know I’m not throwing shade. I didnt have you in mind, just the tone of the whole board, We had someone saying Marvin Jones was transferring here, for example.

As to recruiting, of course transition classes are tough but so what. You don’t get a handicap because you changed coaches. A&M isn’t going to spot us a touchdown because we fired Manny. You win with the guys you have, bottom line, so it’s the results in recruiting that count not the backstories.

We either have the players or we don’t. They either win their matchups or they don’t. The other stuff is irrelevant and the fact is our last class kept us on par with where we were, no more.

Advertisement
Strictly far as the accuracy and depth of their player evaluations and ratings overall coverage of recruiting, how do the 247, Rivals and On3 networks stack up?

Know a lot of folks visit those sites for the message boards and team coverage, but I'm more interested in what they deliver (or don't deliver) from the recruiting analysis and expertise standpoint.
247 is the best available, On3 is 2nd by default because Rivals is pure garbage.

The only thing Rivals is good for is interviews, but in terms of their actually scouting analysis ability they’re by far the worst. They’re rankings are the most random & arbitrary. Even 247’s political rankings based on camps & schools recruiting certain prospects has more legitimacy than Rivals.

On3 isn’t that bad, they’re just still a brand new site & have blind spots to work through, like I said they’re still in their infancy stage as a recruiting hub, so they’re still ironing out all the mistakes they may make in the early stages process of getting off the ground.

247 is the best available, On3 is 2nd by default because Rivals is pure garbage.

The only thing Rivals is good for is interviews, but in terms of their actually scouting analysis ability they’re by far the worst. They’re rankings are the most random & arbitrary. Even 247’s political rankings based on camps & schools recruiting certain prospects has more legitimacy than Rivals.

On3 isn’t that bad, they’re just still a brand new site & have blind spots to work through, like I said they’re still in their infancy stage as a recruiting hub, so they’re still ironing out all the mistakes they may make in the early stages process of getting off the ground.
Hope On3 can get a quality UM site up and running — as opposed to some half-baked placeholder with next to no locally-produced Cane content.

Been a 247 subscriber for a while. Thought about subscribing to the Rivals site (CaneSport), too, but postershere seem really down on Gary Ferman so I've held off (and didn't know Rivals had fallen off so bad, either ... thought they used to be neck-and-neck with Scout and 247 on recruiting coverage before those two merged).

But ****, I like reading Manny Navarro's articles on The Athletic.

Guess I'm just a junkie for Canes info

Last edited:
Advertisement
CIS is the best there is but even here, take it all with a grain of salt. We were told the roster would be unrecognizable but aside from DL, it’s pretty much the same.

When the hype and talk ends and you just look at the facts and results, Mario’s first class was ranked somewhere in the average Al Golden /Manny range, and the transfer portal gave us some serviceable depth plus a couple studs on DL but whiffed at RT and LB.

Rather than being a total overhaul, this team has gone from average to slightly above average which doesn’t live up to the hyped expectations
You can't compare MC's transition class with roughly 1 month of time post hire vs what Golden or Manny did with a full class. We can't truly fully gauge Mario's recruiting results until at least ESD this December.

You probably said all of that just as you’re describing, but there were others saying we would add more. I said CIS not Cribby, so just know I’m not throwing shade. I didnt have you in mind, just the tone of the whole board, We had someone saying Marvin Jones was transferring here, for example.

As to recruiting, of course transition classes are tough but so what. You don’t get a handicap because you changed coaches. A&M isn’t going to spot us a touchdown because we fired Manny. You win with the guys you have, bottom line, so it’s the results in recruiting that count not the backstories.

We either have the players or we don’t. They either win their matchups or they don’t. The other stuff is irrelevant and the fact is our last class kept us on par with where we were, no more.

Look, man, I'm not arguing or fighting. I'm just pointing out that even when people are precise and accurate with what they say on CIS, it is an invariable fact of life that others on CIS will exaggerate what they said and try to pull bloated receipts at a later date.

I'm not going to exhaustively prove that somebody did say, or nobody said, that the roster would be "unrecognizable". I'm just saying that was mathematically impossible. We've never had unlimited ICs to make our roster "unrecognizable". So we either say "let's look at what rational people like Cribby said" or else we don't try to cite what the kraziest person on CIS says at any given moment.

And your other example of "someone saying Marvin Jones was transferring here" is not really completely accurate either. Some people spoke of the remote possibility that it could happen, due to the dissatisfaction surrounding the coaches who left UGa 5 minutes after MJJ signed his LOI. And if the switch had happened, it was going to involve UGa releasing him from his LOI, which is also fairly rare.

So I'm not sure how we've turned a couple of pretty unlikely and narrow statements into some sort of "CIS Insiders are always wrong" type of a thing.

That is all.

Advertisement
Back