Ok. Dumb question...

Martycane

Sophomore
Never understood exactly...What does a quality control coach do to control quality?

Break down films? Monitor workouts?

We seem to be hiring a lot of them. I know this is a good thing but I'm not sure I understand what makes it a full time job...

Asking for an avid Canes fan...

Advertisement
The NCAA only allows a certain amount of on field coaches (10, it used to be 9) & can have a certain amount of full time assistants & GA's, but for QC's depending on how they're designated you can hire as many as you want.

The main job of a Quality control coach is to watch, breakdown & analyze film for the upcoming games, they chart tendencies & plays for opposing teams for their side of the ball. So for example, if you're an Offensive QC you're watching Defenses & going snap by snap charting every single play to get a read on all their calls, formations, personnel & tendencies, like which downs they like to Blitz, who they send on the Blitzes, how they like to create pressure, which coverages they use vs certain Offensive formations, how often they audible based on what the offense does at the LOS, what they do in Cover 2, Cover 3, Cover 5, Cover Zero etc..

The same for Defense, the QC watches every single snap of opposing offense they're going to be playing & they're chartinf analytical tendencies based on formations, audibles, play calls, pass protections, how the QB checks in & out of plays, how often they go in pre snap motion, when they like to run the ball, which plays they use in the red zone, all their situational no huddle calls in 2min offense & late game drives etc..

QC's have the responsibility of watching game film for all the teams they'll be playing, weeks & sometimes months in advance. They also analyze practice film for the Coaching staff & give updated analytical data & charting for which players are progresses/regresses throughout the year.

But the difference between QC's in college & the NFL is in college QC's can have multiple responsibilities more than just watching film for the season, but also they help in recruiting as well. They're not allowed to off campus recruit, but they can contact players & deal with them on campus.

Analysts, QC's & GA's all basically help with the day to day grunt work in assistance to the Position coaches, they help with anything & everything that needs to be helped with & it's great experience to become a full time on-field Coach.

Advertisement
The NCAA only allows a certain amount of on field coaches (10, it used to be 9) & can have a certain amount of full time assistants & GA's, but for QC's depending on how they're designated you can hire as many as you want.

The main job of a Quality control coach is to watch, breakdown & analyze film for the upcoming games, they chart tendencies & plays for opposing teams for their side of the ball. So for example, if you're an Offensive QC you're watching Defenses & going snap by snap charting every single play to get a read on all their calls, formations, personnel & tendencies, like which downs they like to Blitz, who they send on the Blitzes, how they like to create pressure, which coverages they use vs certain Offensive formations, how often they audible based on what the offense does at the LOS, what they do in Cover 2, Cover 3, Cover 5, Cover Zero etc..

The same for Defense, the QC watches every single snap of opposing offense they're going to be playing & they're chartinf analytical tendencies based on formations, audibles, play calls, pass protections, how the QB checks in & out of plays, how often they go in pre snap motion, when they like to run the ball, which plays they use in the red zone, all their situational no huddle calls in 2min offense & late game drives etc..

QC's have the responsibility of watching game film for all the teams they'll be playing, weeks & sometimes months in advance. They also analyze practice film for the Coaching staff & give updated analytical data & charting for which players are progresses/regresses throughout the year.

But the difference between QC's in college & the NFL is in college QC's can have multiple responsibilities more than just watching film for the season, but also they help in recruiting as well. They're not allowed to off campus recruit, but they can contact players & deal with them on campus.

Analysts, QC's & GA's all basically help with the day to day grunt work in assistance to the Position coaches, they help with anything & everything that needs to be helped with & it's great experience to become a full time on-field Coach.

Very helpful, Liberty...Many thanks...

I guess it's fair to say we've been undermanned in this area, at least as compared to SEC and elsewhere...Maybe it cost us a few games over the years. As in all walks of life, attention to detail brings rewards...

Never understood exactly...What does a quality control coach do to control quality?

We seem to be hiring a lot of them. I know this is a good thing but I'm not sure I understand what makes it a full time job...

Bags and extra coaching on the side

Advertisement

I was going to say film, film, film, and gameplan gameplan gameplan but of course your response is way more thorough and informative.

This is why I always read your post. Excellent. We should a special one appointed to each team on the schedule plus one for each of the regular playoff teams. We are never going to have Butch level talent again, nobody does, so let coaches developed players and QC guy crunch the data.

Advertisement

The easy answer, it was reported that "EL jefe" did go and visit with bill belicheat, "part of his area of expertise"! If you want championship football knowledge, head 95 South and see jimmy johnson, if you want cheatpionship operational knowledge, head 95 North!

I feel like I got smarter from reading this post today. Great job!

Advertisement

They monitor and control the quality of the program

I wanted to briefly piggyback off of your excellent and thorough post. A few years ago I brought a couple of recruits (currently on the team) for an unofficial visit. During the visit I was provided an opportunity to sit in on several of the position group meetings. One of the meetings I sat in on was with Coach Banda (really cool guy by the way). Anyway, they were using a system similar to hudl, which is what we used at the high school that I coached at. Several times Coach Banda instructed the QC coach in his room to provide specific cutups and other particular data as they were in watching film. This was the spring season before Rayshawn Jenkins and Jamal Carter were seniors. Coach Banda would also instruct the players to explain their role and responsibilities within the scheme to me. I thought it was an effective tactic.

Gr at breakdown El, per usual mate. Glad to see our overall QC numbers have increased 10 fold since Manolo took the helm. Means more film coverage, which means more looks at tendencies, formations, etc.

Advertisement
Back