Numbers Breakdown

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
Using Ofacekilla’s eligibility chart (http://canesinsight.com/showthread.php?21884-O%92s-Eligibility-Chart-7-18-2012), I have laid out how the numbers work for this class in regards to recruiting.
There are 83 players on scholarship right now after the Josh Witt incident. The maximum number of scholarship players for any year is 85.

Graduating Seniors plus 2 open spots = 13 available spots
1. Mike James
2. Kendal Thompkins
3. Davon Johnson
4. Jeremy Lewis
5. Ben Jones
6. Darius Smith
7. Ramon Buchanon
8. Vaughn Telemaque
9. Brandon McGee
10. Jake Wieclaw
11. Dalton Botts
12. Open
13. Open

From all indications, this class will have anywhere from 16-18 signees, which means there must be some attrition and or players leaving early for all to fit. As it is right now, there are 11 commits in the class including Angelo Jean-Louis, who is enrolling in January. While he will count against the 2012 class number, it ultimately does not matter because the number to worry about is the total 85.

1. Keith Bryant
2. Artie Burns
3. Jamal Carter
4. Alex Collins
5. Standish Dobard
6. Alex Gall
7. Angelo Jean-Louis
8. Travis Johnson
9. Jeremy Kerr
10. Ray Lewis III
11. Kevin Olsen

If no players left early and there were no transfers/cuts, there would only be room for 2 more members maximum in this class, but obviously that’s not the case.

Possible Transfers/Cuts/Pro Entries

1. Jared Wheeler (cut/transfer)
2. Hunter Wells (cut/transfer)
3. Seantrel Henderson (draft)
4. Jalen Grimble (transfer)
5. Corey King (cut/transfer)
6. Ricardo Williams (transfer)
7. Corey White (health still uncertain)
8. David Thompson (highly doubt he ever takes a snap, will focus on baseball)

Not all of those things will happen obviously, I am just throwing them out there as possibilities. We have seen a good amount of attrition under Golden and it has to continue to be able to fit the type of class the staff wants before sanctions hit. The bigger this class is, the better.

Advertisement
Peter, this is a really good summary and a place we can all go to talk about different scenarios. Good work!

Thanks for the breakdown Pete. Was asking this the other day and couldn't figure it out. I am feelin you about D Thompson, but do you think Wheeler will be leaving?

Thanks for the breakdown Pete. Was asking this the other day and couldn't figure it out. I am feelin you about D Thompson, but do you think Wheeler will be leaving?

There's definitely a chance he is not asked back because should be graduating in the spring.

But he would still be eligible right? Thought he was a junior. Thought we could use the depth.

Advertisement
Using Ofacekilla’s eligibility chart (http://canesinsight.com/showthread.php?21884-O%92s-Eligibility-Chart-7-18-2012), I have laid out how the numbers work for this class in regards to recruiting.
There are 83 players on scholarship right now after the Josh Witt incident. The maximum number of scholarship players for any year is 85.

1. Mike James
2. Kendal Thompkins
3. Davon Johnson
4. Jeremy Lewis
5. Ben Jones
6. Darius Smith
7. Ramon Buchanon
8. Vaughn Telemaque
9. Brandon McGee
10. Jake Wieclaw
11. Dalton Botts
12. Open
13. Open

From all indications, this class will have anywhere from 16-18 signees, which means there must be some attrition and or players leaving early for all to fit. As it is right now, there are 11 commits in the class including Angelo Jean-Louis, who is enrolling in January. While he will count against the 2012 class number, it ultimately does not matter because the number to worry about is the total 85.

1. Keith Bryant
2. Artie Burns
3. Jamal Carter
4. Alex Collins
5. Standish Dobard
6. Alex Gall
7. Angelo Jean-Louis
8. Travis Johnson
9. Jeremy Kerr
10. Ray Lewis III
11. Kevin Olsen

If no players left early and there were no transfers/cuts, there would only be room for 2 more members maximum in this class, but obviously that’s not the case.

Not all of those things will happen obviously, I am just throwing them out there as possibilities. We have seen a good amount of attrition under Golden and it has to continue to be able to fit the type of class the staff wants before sanctions hit. The bigger this class is, the better.

I have the same list of possible exits, but I'd add Cornelius and Alexis to the list.

Thanks for the shout out and great breakdown Pete!

I am thinking a punter might emerge from the walk-ons for 2013.

Btw the chart is updated and will be posted soon.

Advertisement
Is UM playing to go with a Walk-on punter or for Goudis to do everything next year??

Alex Irastoza (Will be a senior and dont see him doing it)
Ricky Carrol
Ricky Perez
Zach Costa

I dont know much about the other 3

The coaches are making a GRAVE mistake if we end up with only 16-17ish kids. We should still be in Saban trim every ounce of deadweight from the team mode. If we get hit with sanctions, we need to get the team as YOUNG and as TALENTED as possible to limit the impact of the schollie reductions.

Load up now while we have the chance.

I think Golden will sign 20 when it's all said and done. We still need 3 linebackers, 2-3 OL, 1 db, 1 punter/kicker, 1 DE, and 2-3 DT's...

Advertisement
I'm still holding out hope King contributes this year. Lets see what he can do now that hes healthy. Definitely don't see Wells, Alexis, or White back.

Advertisement

1. Mike James
2. Kendal Thompkins
3. Davon Johnson
4. Jeremy Lewis
5. Ben Jones
6. Darius Smith
7. Ramon Buchanon
8. Vaughn Telemaque
9. Brandon McGee
10. Jake Wieclaw
11. Dalton Botts
12. Open
13. Open

1. Keith Bryant
2. Artie Burns
3. Jamal Carter
4. Alex Collins
5. Standish Dobard
6. Alex Gall
7. Angelo Jean-Louis
8. Travis Johnson
9. Jeremy Kerr
10. Ray Lewis III
11. Kevin Olsen

- Henderson does seem like he might go pro at the end of this year.

- Grimble may be a late bloomer, but our young talent this year and coming in next year, is only going to make it harder for him to see the field at Miami. Porter, Robinson, and Pierre are definitely going to be in front of him next year... and Dequan Ivery may be the reason he transfers.

- Also what about Junior Alexis? i'm sure he would be on the cut list as well, to make room for next year's class.

Pete, I definitely think you should add a CB to that list of potential transfers.

We just signed Howard, Hope, Dortch, Davis, Gunter, Crawford. That's 6 CB's. Once the depth chart starts to shake out I can see one of them transferring since they will be buried on the depth chart.

Pete, I definitely think you should add a CB to that list of potential transfers.

We just signed Howard, Hope, Dortch, Davis, Gunter, Crawford. That's 6 CB's. Once the depth chart starts to shake out I can see one of them transferring since they will be buried on the depth chart.

It's tough to guess though. Honestly there could be a role for all of them. We are only taking 1 this class with Burns and he might play safety. Gunter could always move back to safety if we need. 2 of those guys will start and 2 others are nickel guys.

1. Mike James
2. Kendal Thompkins
3. Davon Johnson
4. Jeremy Lewis
5. Ben Jones
6. Darius Smith
7. Ramon Buchanon
8. Vaughn Telemaque
9. Brandon McGee
10. Jake Wieclaw
11. Dalton Botts
12. Open
13. Open

1. Keith Bryant
2. Artie Burns
3. Jamal Carter
4. Alex Collins
5. Standish Dobard
6. Alex Gall
7. Angelo Jean-Louis
8. Travis Johnson
9. Jeremy Kerr
10. Ray Lewis III
11. Kevin Olsen

- Henderson does seem like he might go pro at the end of this year.

- Grimble may be a late bloomer, but our young talent this year and coming in next year, is only going to make it harder for him to see the field at Miami. Porter, Robinson, and Pierre are definitely going to be in front of him next year... and Dequan Ivery may be the reason he transfers.

- Also what about Junior Alexis? i'm sure he would be on the cut list as well, to make room for next year's class.

I think Alwxis is 2nd team right now

Advertisement
Back