Notebook: Southridge Spartans loaded with talent

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
I had the chance to attend Miami Southridge practice today and the Spartans are absolutely loaded with Division-1 talent. Geo305 posted a full list the last week: https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/ridge/98967. Here are my notes from speaking with players and coaches at practice.

**Southridge currently has four prospects committed to the University of Miami in 2017 safety Billy Gibson, 2017 WR Rodney Scott, 2017 RB Bentavious Thompson, and 2018 WR Daquris “Dee” Wiggins.

**Gibson (6-1, 185) has flown a bit under the radar, but his versatility could be a big weapon in Manny Diaz’s system. The Canes view him as a guy who will play a lot up near the line of scrimmage and excels in run support

“I can play over the top and in the box at the same time,” said Gibson. “I like the defensive scheme. He (Diaz) likes to mix it up a lot where I’ll be able to play up top or in the box.”

Gibson explained why he wanted to commit to Miami in the first place.

“When I took a trip there I liked the campus, I liked the coaches, I liked the fans, and I just felt like I’m supposed to be there.”

Miami safeties coach Ephraim Banda has formed a good relationship with Gibson.

“We talk almost everyday. We have a really close bond and he’s pretty cool.”

Highlights: Junior Highlights - Billy Gibson highlights - Hudl

**CB Shawn Davis is a top priority for both Miami and Florida, and it seems like those are the two schools that have the best chance with him at the moment. It appears like the Hurricanes have some catching up to do though based on what I have heard. I asked Davis’ teammates for their thoughts.

“I’m trying to get Shawn Davis to commit (to Miami) because he’s like my main man,” Billy Gibson said. “They probably have a good chance, but I’m not sure.”

Gators commit Kemore Gamble sounded confident that Davis will join him in Gainesville.

“He’s coming to Florida. That came from me. He’s coming to Florida. We are close to each other,” said Gamble.

2018 WR Dee Wiggins (Miami commit) also thinks that UF could be Davis’ landing spot.

“I think he’s leaning to Florida.”

Wiggins on what makes Davis a good matchup: “Shawn’s really tough because I have to work hard to break his cushion and he has that makeup speed.”

Miami WR commit Rodney Scott on what sticks out about Davis: “His aggression at the line, his makeup speed, and his long arms.”

Is Scott trying to sway his teammate Davis to Miami? “It’s his decision. I’m not really talking to him about it,” he explained.

Highlights: Highlights - Shawn Davis highlights - Hudl

**A quick note on Davis that I found interesting…one Southridge coach told me that he actually likes Davis’ upside as a ball hawking safety in the long run. He said that Davis has excelled at that spot in games because of his ability to cover sideline-to-sideline. Davis is also very willing to play the safety position.

[TWEET]732660427411365888[/TWEET]

**Another CB prospect to watch is 6-2, 175-pound Antwan Collier. Collier recived praise from a few of his teammates on his physicality and that was on display at practice.
Collier said some offers that stick out to him right now are California, Louisville, and Oregon State who offered him today. He will visit Cal on June 11th.

Southridge’s receivers group includes about five Division-1 caliber prospects in Rodney Scott, Dee Wiggins, Jordan Dillard (2018), and Mark Pope (2018). It is unlikely that the Spartans defensive backs will face a more talented bunch during the season.

“It’s fun going through practice competing because the receivers we face is going to make it easier for us during games,” said Collier.

Collier on how he uses his size to his advantage: “I use it to not let them get off the line.”

WR Dee Wiggins on Collier: “Antwan gets very physical. He makes me more aggressive because he gets up in my chest.”

Highlights: Junior "Athlete" Highlights - Antwan Collier highlights - Hudl

**2017 TE Kemore Gamble (6-4, 230) is currently committed to the Florida Gators, and was previously a Miami commitment. He explained what went behind his flip.

“I lost some love for UM because they weren’t really contacting me anymore. They had stopped hitting me up. I love Florida now because they text me everyday and check on my family and stuff,” said Gamble.

Gamble has played both wide receiver and tight end at the high school level. He is not caught up with what he will play at the next level.

“I’ll be good wherever they put me at.”

Gamble on the chances he reconsiders Miami if they established contact again: ”It would be hard. Probably not.”

Highlights: Junior Highlights - Kemore Gamble highlights - Hudl

[TWEET]732650471433883648[/TWEET]

**2017 prospect Nadarius “Dada” F’agan plays as an outside linebacker for this defense, but he told me that he sees himself playing strong safety down the line.
F’agan claims offers from Syracuse, Nebraska, USC, and Temple

**2017 OLB Brandon James (6-2, 195) caught my eye as a prospect who still has a lot of room to grow. James ran a 4.57 at the Nike combine in Miami and holds offers from the likes of USC, West Virginia, Michigan , Rutgers, Syracuse, FAU, and Temple.

James told me that schools are recruiting him as an outside linebacker/strong safety hybrid. I’m interested to watch him develop because his ceiling is high.

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3199139/highlights/261561389

[TWEET]732661489115467777[/TWEET]

**WR Rodney Scott has a strong commitment to the Hurricanes.

“I committed there because I feel like they needed me and I wanted to stay home,” he said. “My mom is happy I’m staying because she wanted me to comfort her when she needs me and she doesn’t have to pay for a hotel or a rental car now.”

Canes WR coach Ron Dugans has made a big impact on his recruitment.

“He’s like another dad. He can take care of you, comfort you, or do anything.”

Scott on Miami’s staff: “It’s a great coaching staff, all as one. Especially with the talent that we have coming in, it’s going to be something to watch.”

Antwan Collier on Rodney Scott: “His speed, hands and route running.”

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3096755/highlights/295074385

[TWEET]732657506317651973[/TWEET]

**2018 WR Daquris Wiggins (6-3, 175) is a Miami commitment as well. He transferred over from Killian and seems to be adjusting well in the offense. He is not worried about getting looks in a loaded offensive unit.

“Whenever I get my opportunity, I just have to take it. Whenever it’s my time to shine, I gotta do what I do,” Wiggins said.

The long receiver certainly does not lack confidence.

“I’m an overall threat. My rating in Madden would be a 98.”

Wiggins on Miami: “That has always been my dream college school. I’m 95% committed, but I still have my options open to other schools.”

He added that Florida and Florida State are on him hard and those are two schools that he is considering.

Early playing time is a major priority for Wiggins.

“Whoever has a better education and whoever puts me in more when I’m a freshman is where I will go.”

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4752954/highlights/297031394

**Wiggins is extremely impressive as an athlete. He is a long strider who gets in-and-out of his breaks with ease. You would like to see him become more consistent with
his hands, but everything else is there right now. He is potentially an elite deep threat.

**Based on things that I’ve heard, a decommitment from RB Bentavious Thompson would not surprise me. A situation similar to what happened with Gamble might be developing. Talented back who will find a spot somewhere.

**2017 DB Coemba Jones is one to watch. He is on the small side at 5-8, but a Southridge coach told me that he is the best “pure football player” on the team. He holds a Temple offer, but deserves more in my opinion.

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4155438/highlights/295965399

**2017 WDE De’Andre Johnson has really put on size since the last time I saw him. Johnson is a legit 6-2, 230 and has offers from Maryland, South Carolina, and Mississipi State. He was wearing Gamecocks gloves at practice today. Transferred from Killian.

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4176162/highlights/294891399

[TWEET]732663043373596674[/TWEET]

**2018 WR Mark Pope recently reclassified from 2019. He holds some big-time offers including Miami. He needs to add weight, but he stands at 6-3 and is smooth. Built similarly to Dee Wiggins, but I think Wiggins is a notch ahead of him from an explosiveness standpoint.

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/6165977/highlights/307243414

[TWEET]732654387919769600[/TWEET]

**2018 DE James Head, Jr. caught my attention because of his length and twitchiness off the edge. He looks like he’s put on weight from last season as well, which is always the question mark with a prospect of his build (6-4, 210)

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/5314574/highlights/261571375

[TWEET]732661753155293185[/TWEET]

**2018 SDE Randy Charlton is another big body on the defensive line for the Spartans. He holds a Nebraska offer. I’m excited to see him this season because he showed flashes during practice on Tuesday.

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4754678/highlights/308582428

[TWEET]732663693574557696[/TWEET]

[TWEET]732664890364682240[/TWEET]

[TWEET]732666075947622400[/TWEET]

Advertisement
Advertisement
Is it just me....

They have a lot of good prospects, just none that really jump out of the screen for me. Am I missing an elite level prospect for the next level?

Advertisement
[MENTION=3894]Peter Ariz[/MENTION] who is the top overall prospect at the school in your opinion?

Davis has not shut us out. He is still listening. I read somewhere that the possibility of competing for a starting spot here at CB as a true freshman is something he is very intrigued by.

The bottom line is that we need to play well this year and get kids excited about Miami again. We have plenty of time to get him to see the light.

[MENTION=3894]Peter Ariz[/MENTION] who is the top overall prospect at the school in your opinion?
I'm not Pete but right now I would say Davis and Wiggins. Also it would not surprise me in the least if it turned out being that DE James Head. He should really start coming on this year. I also think that James and Faygan are going to blow the fack up this year. Watch those two closely this year. I think they are perfect for the Diaz scheme possibly at Safety. Faygan and James are both perfect examples of the super elite South FL tweener that goes elsewhere and becomes an AA.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I would say that Davis and Wiggins are their top two prospects. They have that elite burst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand DB's liking UF, they have a great tradition of DB's, 2nd to LSU imo. I hope we get him on signing day.

Advertisement
I'm not Pete but right now I would say Davis and Wiggins. Also it would not surprise me in the least if it turned out being that DE James Head. He should really start coming on this year. I also think that James and Faygan are going to blow the fack up this year. Watch those two closely this year. I think they are perfect for the Diaz scheme possibly at Safety. Faygan and James are both perfect examples of the super elite South FL tweener that goes elsewhere and becomes an AA.

Exactly....we need to offer James asap!

Advertisement
Back