Northwestern University football players can unionize

Advertisement
Wave good bye to college sports beyond the club level if this is successful.

Advertisement
what about the other divvy 1 scholarship sports,
this will destroy scholarships for sports, and so many kids that would not have had the opportunity for a 50K a year education will lose out

it will be interesting where this leads
the football team still has not voted, correct?
but with the new rules for unionizing, they may get this through awful quickly

what about the other divvy 1 scholarship sports,
this will destroy scholarships for sports, and so many kids that would not have had the opportunity for a 50K a year education will lose out

it will be interesting where this leads
the football team still has not voted, correct?
but with the new rules for unionizing, they may get this through awful quickly

From my understanding this ruling only affects Private institutions, because public institutions would have to follow state labor laws for unionization. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Advertisement
That will be the answer by universities, they will pay the players however the players will sign 4 yr binding contracts, and the contract will cover the cost of school. The problem then will be that the kids will blow the money, rack up a bunch of college debt and then graduate, not make the NFL and be ******* in debt with a degree in addition. I like the idea, however I have a bad feeling this will not end well.

Advertisement
That will be the answer by universities, they will pay the players however the players will sign 4 yr binding contracts, and the contract will cover the cost of school. The problem then will be that the kids will blow the money, rack up a bunch of college debt and then graduate, not make the NFL and be ******* in debt with a degree in addition. I like the idea, however I have a bad feeling this will not end well.

So they'll be like me then? :p

I agree, I like what they are trying to do in spirit. But they may end up ******** this whole thing up for kids who it was intended to help.

Advertisement

I mean, if I could have gone to the U free of charge, I would have. These guys want to get paid, without seeing the value in the 90k yearly education they're getting. So pay them and charge them for school. Let them have crippling debt just like the rest of us.

Looks like some Congressmen are now objecting to the NLRB ruling and the plans to overturn the ruling. This was the point that the NLRB based their ruling on from this article;

" Although the NCAA limits athletes to 20 hours per week of practices and games during the season, Ohr wrote, football players on scholarship also spend considerable time training, traveling to games and on other football-related activities. "[T]he evidence establishes that the players continue to devote 40 to 50 hours per week to their football duties all the way through to the end of the season, which could last until early January," he wrote."

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/opin...nionize-20140326,0,856376.story#ixzz2xAsPkE2x

I mean, if I could have gone to the U free of charge, I would have. These guys want to get paid, without seeing the value in the 90k yearly education they're getting. So pay them and charge them for school. Let them have crippling debt just like the rest of us.

When is the last time you tried to pay for something with an education? You ever show up in a Best Buy and try and pay for a flat screen with some Encyclopedia Brittanicas?

When is the last time you tried to pay for something with an education? You ever show up in a Best Buy and try and pay for a flat screen with some Encyclopedia Brittanicas?

Best Buy only accepts factoids about Western Civilization up to 1650 AD.

Advertisement
Back