Tears Nole Tears (“Offcial”)

The thought is you avoid rolling a guy’s ankle or knee. Most colleges run a THUD tempo to limit injuries (hit wrap up and let go).

My issue with this drill and the new tackling philosophy is the rugby style tackling (head behind the body and not across); you see the outcome in that drill: tackler not as aggressive, spinning of ball carrier, and ball carrier gaining a sizable amount of yards after contact.
Are other schools pushing it as much as we are. I feel like I hear about it all the time now with us

Advertisement
Yes , Urban Meyer taught it. It’s pretty much the technique everywhere.

Pete Carroll brought it to fame when the Seahawks went on their Legion of Doom run amid the CTE drama.

Rugby tackling has been taught down in youth leagues for a few years now I believe.

My issue with the method for young kids is the potential for shoulder issues. You really need to be on target with your aiming point on that backside hip. The other issue - mentioned it above - is the additional yardage given up by not getting your body across.

Pete Carroll brought it to fame when the Seahawks went on their Legion of Doom run amid the CTE drama.

Rugby tackling has been taught down in youth leagues for a few years now I believe.

My issue with the method for young kids is the potential for shoulder issues. You really need to be on target with your aiming point on that backside hip. The other issue - mentioned it above - is the additional yardage given up by not getting your body across.

I guess their thinking is raise your chances of shoulder injuries rather than the head.

I guess their thinking is raise your chances of shoulder injuries rather than the head.

I guess shoulder injuries and surgeries (eventually arthritic shoulders) is a better financial move for the NFL than scary CTE.

Improvements and developments in concussion protocol (especially stringent monitoring of symptoms) and helmet construction will probably be the best way to curb the chances of developing CTE v. this type of tackling technique. Anyway, I don't want to derail the thread by getting into CTE...let's focus on what matters: FSU Sucks.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Truth

Advertisement
Back