Tears Nole Tears (“Offcial”)

Advertisement
Advertisement
All due respect to theibisrules (Paul ManaDee was no genius), but the lion's share of the credit has to go to Sam Jankovich.

Let's review.

People don't realize that Lou Saban was ALSO named Miami's Athletic Director in early 1978. Saban signed Jim Kelly in February 1978. The Hillel incident happened in April 1978, BUT SABAN STAYED THROUGH THE 1978 SEASON. But when he resigned, it left Miami in an incredibly weak position, as we had to replace both the head coach and the AD. I am not sure of the order of hirings, but I know that Doc Mallios served as the AD from 1979-1983 before Jankovich was hired (I once worked with Doc's son Carl). The bottom line is that Miami was frantic when it was time to hire Schnellenberger, and the fact that Howard had served two terms as the Dolphins OC really made him an obvious (if desperation) choice. We got lucky.

But when Schnellenberger left, instead of finding a guy 20 miles away, Sam Jankovich managed to identify Jimmy Johnson out at Oklahoma State. And then when JJ left, Schnellenberger identified Dennis Erickson from Washington State. Two UNBELIEVABLE out-of-nowhere GENIUS hires.

After Jankovich...it went back to normal.

Butch (a great hire, don't get me wrong) was, like, our fourth choice and had previously worked for UM.

Coker was actually working for UM when he was hired as HC.

Randy was actually working for UM when he was hired as HC.

Richt was a UM alum.

Manny was (almost) working for UM when he was hired as HC.

Since Sam Jankovich walked the earth, the only out-of-nowhere hire that Miami has made as been Al Freakin' Golden.

We got lucky with Howard and Butch, but the JJ and Dennis hires were pure genius.

Sam was the man. Nobody can touch him when it comes to Head Coach hires. Nobody.

PS - just saw Canesfreak's post. Spot on.
I think you meant Jankovich. But anyways, Jankovich was always thinking ahead, particularly when it came to succession planning. I remember an interview that he did where he said he noticed Erickson several years before he hired him and that he was someone to keep his eyes on. I also believe that before UM, he was AD at Washington St so he may have had some connections to reach out to him when the time came.

Advertisement
I think you meant Jankovich. But anyways, Jankovich was always thinking ahead, particularly when it came to succession planning. I remember an interview that he did where he said he noticed Erickson several years before he hired him and that he was someone to keep his eyes on. I also believe that before UM, he was AD at Washington St so he may have had some connections to reach out to him when the time came.

Yes, definitely. Meant Jankovich.

Its funny how this only applies to us. Why isn't Florida keeping all the central Florida recruits home? Why is FSU not keeping all the North Florida, South Alabama, and South Georgia recruits at home? Strange how Covid only affects Miami, right.... 🤔

It's like the "Blame it on the rain" game, when the rain only impacted F$U and not Miami.

Advertisement
Lol if you think Miami is as big of a football name as Alabama, OSU or even Clemson at this point.
Miami is always gonna be a name and a draw..... we may have been down for many years but dont think for one second peoples eyes arent on us when we appear on their schedule.

We suddenly become their primetime game or their "blackout" game their special uniform game...

If you think otherwise then your a troll

Advertisement
🤔
B73930C5-692E-4345-9F85-5CA490FDE2A0.png

Advertisement
Back