Tears Nole Tears (“Offcial”)

Thanks. I was just wondering if this was a reinvention the wheel then everyone would be doing it.
I think an effective offense is one that can expose a weakness and expose it in the most effective way possible; be it rpo, tempo, power, spread or whatever it takes.

The premise of his offense is to attack your weak box looks with the run game. When you commit an extra guy to the run they have 1 on 1 vertical routes on the outside. They get creative with double moves and stuff like that. But the scheme is pretty basic. If your DBs win their matchups his offense will struggle since it’s super reliant on big plays.

Advertisement
The premise of his offense is to attack your weak box looks with the run game. When you commit an extra guy to the run they have 1 on 1 vertical routes on the outside. They get creative with double moves and stuff like that. But the scheme is pretty basic. If your DBs win their matchups his offense will struggle since it’s super reliant on big plays.
Thanks!

There aren’t really defenses designed to stop “tempo.” You can stop the play, and that’s great. But that’s not you stopping “tempo.”

Even if such a thing exists (and it doesn’t), another argument behind tempo is to run as many plays as you can because the more plays run in a game, the more it favors the better team. The larger the sample size, the more the cream is going to rise to the top. The more you slow the game down, the more lesser teams have a chance to win. This is why the military academies eat up the play clock.

Good defensive coordinators will kill simple offenses. Its just a given. Unless you just straight up have more talent across the board no tempo is gonna save u

I have a few question here.
Everyone seems to be in this TCU, Baylor, Houston, Utah states bandwagon and saying they did a lot with less talent and exposed teams and took advantage of athletes etc. There is also the “imagine if we did that with our athletes” thing going on.
But who exactly did these teams play?
I know they played a good game against FSU a few years ago.
But how has this high tempo, few plays, really faired against good defenses that are designe to combat it?
Also, how fast can you really go? Didn’t cuse and Toledo run a fugg ton of plays against us? Don’t think you can go faster than that can you.
I think this fast tempo offense took a lot of teams by surprise when it was implemented.
Manny seems to have defense built specifically for fast tempo offenses.

Is there any offense that is perfect against great defenses?

Briles basically does almost everything you would want a college offense to do from a theoretical standpoint.

1. It’s simple. Less is more in college.

2. Tempo. He forces the defense to be really good. If they win the play, great. But he doesn’t make it easy for you to win the play by quickly forcing you to get into position and not allowing you to sub.

3. Spread. He creates spacing. This once again puts the defense in a tough spot.

4. Shot gun. Doesn’t force QBs to play under center, which is more difficult. This kind of goes to number 1.

His offense might get stopped. I’ve never known an offense that can’t. But when you put it on a chalkboard, his offense checks every box you’d want. And then when you see it in practice, it usually scores a ton of points on any given week.

Advertisement
There’s a reason we haven’t seen a team with the Baylor or Texas tech spread win big consistently. Elite defenses can stop it. Ohio state stopped it against Oregon in the ship and they had the heisman qb. Oklahoma runs a spread but they still have a great run game with a bruising offensive line. Perfect balance. Balance wins championships. Line play wins championships

Thank you! Learning a lot on here.

There’s a reason we haven’t seen a team with the Baylor or Texas tech spread win big consistently. Elite defenses can stop it. Ohio state stopped it against Oregon in the ship and they had the heisman qb. Oklahoma runs a spread but they still have a great run game with a bruising offensive line. Perfect balance. Balance wins championships. Line play wins championships

Ohio State just had so much more talent than Oregon. Look at the recruiting class difference.
You’re saying there is an offense Oregon could have run with its lesser ranked players and been more successful against Ohio State? What offense is that?

Scheme means nothing if you get the **** kicked out of you at the LOS. It all starts and stops there. If you can be servicable on the OL, that's when scheme kicks in. But you can split your WRs all you want, you can go as fast as you want, you can run as much pre-snap motion as you want, you can run any personnel you want....if my 4 down linemen beat the **** out of the OL across from them every snap, all the coaching in the world isn't going to make you successful.

That being said, I think Briles is one of the 5 most creative and innovative offensive minds in the game. He is nothing short of fantastic. But unless they find a whole lot of linemen who can block about 500% better than they did last year, he's not going to be averaging 500 yards a game at FSU. It all starts up front.

Advertisement
This is exactly what I was talking about. However I never played or coached so I wanted to ask.
I know that coaches are hard headed and stubborn to change. It took the nba about 20 years to fully adopt the 3 pointer. Do you think this is the same thing with the spread concept?
I don’t think I saw the rams or chiefs go under center a lot, but I also didn’t seee the linemen spread out like Briles does.

There aren’t really defenses designed to stop “tempo.” You can stop the play, and that’s great. But that’s not you stopping “tempo.”

Even if such a thing exists (and it doesn’t), another argument behind tempo is to run as many plays as you can because the more plays run in a game, the more it favors the better team. The larger the sample size, the more the cream is going to rise to the top. The more you slow the game down, the more lesser teams have a chance to win. This is why the military academies eat up the play clock.

Defensive linemen getting a "cramp" has been used to stop the "tempo"

Lol @ people @ loling at Briles. He’s going to make you’ll look real stupid pretty soon.

Advertisement
If your spread tempo offense isn’t clicking, you better have a top notch defense.

Because they’re going to be out there more often and getting less rest. They will be defending more plays per game on average.

Briles walked into systems at FAU and Houston.

His last game at Houston he put up an amazing 14 points in a 70 to 14 loss to NAVY.

LOL @ Briles being "the guy".

I'm not sure why I even try, but whatever. D'Eriq King, one of the 10 best QBs in the country, didn't play in the bowl game.

Either way, we should definitely judge any coach on 1 game and completely ignore any other success he's had. Good post.

Advertisement
I'm not sure why I even try, but whatever. D'Eriq King, one of the 10 best QBs in the country, didn't play in the bowl game.

Either way, we should definitely judge any coach on 1 game and completely ignore any other success he's had. Good post.

Too bad they brought in Alcoholgerson and he never lets his QBs run.

Too bad they brought in Alcoholgerson and he never lets his QBs run.

That's a great nickname, but what you said really isn't true. Just at West Va, he didn't really have any QBs who could run. Geno Smith his first few years, Clint Trickett, Will Grier the last 2 years. They're all pocket passers. But in the middle, he had a kid named Skyler Howard, who wasn't very talented but was productive there, and he ran a good bit.

That's a great nickname, but what you said really isn't true. Just at West Va, he didn't really have any QBs who could run. Geno Smith his first few years, Clint Trickett, Will Grier the last 2 years. They're all pocket passers. But in the middle, he had a kid named Skyler Howard, who wasn't very talented but was productive there, and he ran a good bit.

You are right, I forgot about Howard, the QB he beat out Sam Houston State for.

Advertisement
Back