Nike Opening Regional Orlando Combine Notes and Thoughts

View as article

Tito Benach

Staff Writer
Premium
Good amount of prospects there, it reminded me how talented the Tampa/Orlando area is. While I Dade and Broward still have there plethora of talent, this event showed the Tampa/Orlando area is also stacked with talent.

-The most impressive prospect to me by far was Fort Myers running back Darrian Felix. Felix won running back MVP and had the highest Sparq rating coming in at 128.76 with a 43’ inch vertical and a 4.56 forty. I don’t pay too much attention to the spare rating, but on the field Felix blew me away. His speed, agility and cutting ability are very impressive. He was giving the linebackers a run for the money in the 2 on 1 drills. He also displayed great hands working out of the backfield in the half-field 7 on 7 drills. I did an interview with him, but he did tell me Miami is recruiting him the hardest and for good reason. I know Miami has 2 running back commits in the 2017 class, but Felix is a must get for the Hurricanes. Geo posted this, but he’s gotten significantly bigger as well. At the end of his Freshman season he was 5’9 and around 165 ; Entering his senior season he’s already around 5’10.5 and at least 180.

[TWEET]701513113926033409[/TWEET]

-Vanguard quarterback N’Kosi Perry was there and he impressed per usual. Perry’s arm is more impressive live than it is on tape. He has good accuracy, just needs to work on his footwork and not throwing when his feet aren’t set. He saw a couple balls sail on him today because of that, but when he locked in on his throws they were on point. The reality is he’s relatively still unknown to schools, which is weird for a kid who came in 2nd place for the Mr. Football award in Florida as a junior. I’ll post his interview later as well, but the important thing he told me was that being in a spread offense isn’t the most important thing to him and he’s willing to work in a pro offense. He talks with several coaches on the staff so you can see Miami is making him a priority similar to what Peter said.

-Don’t expect Cocoa running back Bruce Judson to be a serious player for Miami. Judson was dressed in all UF gear today and the talk is that it’s basically only a matter of time before he commits.

-2017 IMG Wide Receiver Emmanuel Greene impressed once again. Greene is very similar to Sam Bruce and as shocking as this might sound, I think he’s faster. Greene has incredible cutting ability and gets great separation from his defender, while showing good hands. I don’t think Miami is as much of a player as they once were in his recruitment, which is a bit dissappointing simply because he’s an elite talent. Greene is a player who can lineup all over the field for an offense and be a legitimate threat. He was sporting Red and black cleats, so I’ll let you guys figure out what school leads.

-2017 Lakeland wide receiver James Robinson was on display today and it’s easy to tell why Robinson is rated so high. Robinson shows good route running and his physicality is what makes him a bad matchup for most DB’s. Robinson uses his 6’4 frame and body to catch a lot of the balls thrown his way. There’s time where he can be a bit aggressive in his route running and he tries to simply bulldoze the corner over, which is when NFL Scout and former receiver Bucky Brooks was working with him to try and polish his route running. Aside from that, his hands could definitely use some jug machines. He reminds me a lot of George Campbell from Florida State

-One of the more impressive receivers I saw today was wide receiver Trey Blount from Pace Academy in Georgia. Entering the day, I had no idea who he was, but he left me very impressed. He’s got good size at 6’2 around 190 and shows fantastic route running ability and very reliable hands. Blount was one of the final people chosen to participate in the 7 on 7 drills and dialed up almost every corner for six. I spoke with Blount’s father and he said he’s hearing from Florida, Alabama, Georgia and Miami specifically. He said Mark Richt visited in January and told Blount that he will be a priority in the 2017 class. I’m very high on this kid and think a lot of schools will be calling very soon.

[HUDL]athlete/5353096/highlights/281346384[/HUDL]

-2018 Pine Forest wide receiver Jacob Copeland was there and he was one of the top receivers at the event. Copeland has good size and displayed good route running ability by getting behind some receiver on simple go routes. He’s still very young, but he will be a national prospect by the time he's a senior. He already holds offers from Miami and Florida.

-I’m just gonna sum the IMG offensive line prospects up in one word: Elite. Cesar Ruiz and Robert Hainsey were dominating the OL v. DL drills. They both have great size and showed tremendous strength. OL MVP was Hainsey, but both are national prospects. I don’t really know where Miami stands on those two, however I’d imagine Richt will do his inquiries on both.

-2016 Jefferson Tackle Jean Marcellus impressed me today and made me a believer in his ability. I was originally in the middle on Marcellus because his tape didn’t really pop out to me, however, his footwork was what stood out to me today. He showed great ability to stay in front of the rusher and force him into another direction. Marcellus was previously offered by the old Miami staff and hasn't really been in contact with the new one. He might be someone who gets a call late, but as of now he’s very high on UNC.

-2016 Canes commit Nick Roberts was there and I left impressed but still doubtful on where he stands with Miami. Roberts showed good athleticism at times and held his own against some of the better receivers, however Miami’s targeting larger corners in this class and Roberts stands around 5’9. Roberts would also be Miami’s 4th corner under 6’0, so I don’t know where he would fit in terms of the secondary. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Roberts de-commit because of Miami losing interest.

-One prospect who wasn’t playing but caught my attention was 2017 Archbishop McCarthy receiver Edward Curry. He doesn’t have much tape, but he’s 6’3 190 and he’s got very long arms. He’s playing at Archbishop McCarthy and the Florida Fire coaches are raving about him. He’s definitely someone to keep an eye on this year.

Edward Curry - Hudl

-2018 Clearwater Central Catholic defensive back Amari Burney is a big prospect who’s already caught the attention of Miami, Florida and Auburn. Burney is 6’2 190 with arms like ladders and a big frame.

[HUDL]athlete/4487218/highlights/315720379[/HUDL]

Last edited:
Advertisement
To be honest I could see why Thomas brown and Mark richt are on Darrien Felix so hard. Do it all guy, tremendous potential

Last edited:
Advertisement
Roberts is a take...look at the film. We can target bigger corners...but that kid is um level.....i dont see them losing interest.

kID WILL COME IN PHYSICALLY READY TO PLAY EVEN AT HIS SIZE..

Advertisement
What did perry measure at?
[MENTION=32]AUcane[/MENTION] I told you Greene wasn't a Miami lean once I saw his 247 pic in an earlier thread and you said I was paranoid because it's was just a hat dude. Btw heard he measured at 6'3 but idk about how much he weighs

I think you mistake me for someone else? Don't recall that convo - I don't know much about Greene. As for perry, I was looking at weight. Hope this kid still isn't in the 160s lulz

Advertisement
To touch on the whole Greene thing. Don't jump the gun yet on the whole "he's gone train". Long way to go and he was going to commit to Miami last summer. (That was the commit Cedrick Wright was talking about)

He mentioned recently and really made it an emphasis that he wants to know where he stands with Miami. Beard being let go pressed the reset on the whole process for him. Miami needs to get him down on a visit, he's very interested in what Richt has in store for Miami.

Edward Curry transferred out of Chaminade-Madonna to Archbishop McCarthy prior to this past season.

Advertisement
Through one of Jacob Copelands coaches.(Who posts here, coach vandervort) I was told Copeland has been hanging around with Nick Roberts and Ahman Ross a lot lately. Copeland is playing with Pro Impact (7on7 team that Roberts, Ross and Cyrus ***an play on)

Copeland grew up a gator fan but he is very much interested in the aura and whole scene of the city of Miami and wants to be apart of that. I have been told that Miami has a great chance at him if they pursue, by no means is he a lock to UF at all. He is very much open.

I speak with him from time to time as well. When it comes to readiness at the next level, this kid physically looks like a seasoned college WR.

What did perry measure at?
[MENTION=32]AUcane[/MENTION] I told you Greene wasn't a Miami lean once I saw his 247 pic in an earlier thread and you said I was paranoid because it's was just a hat dude. Btw heard he measured at 6'3 but idk about how much he weighs

What Geo said ^^ I think is right. New staff just hasn't shown interest in him (for whatever reasom), but if we do I like our chances.

As for Felix. I've been super high on him for a long time. It won't be easy, but Miami needs to continue the pressure on him.

Advertisement
Back