NFL mock draft 2021: McShay's 1st Rd picks heading into NFL free agency

King of Allapattah

LET'S GO CANES!!!
Premium
https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2021/...-32-first-round-picks-heading-nfl-free-agency

21. Indianapolis Colts

Gregory Rousseau, DE, Miami

Christian Darrisaw might be an option if still available, filling in Anthony Castonzo's spot at left tackle, or the Colts might take a long look at Trevon Moehrig (TCU) at safety. But it's hard to ignore the need for pass-rush depth, especially as Indy deals with free-agency concerns on the edge. Rousseau hasn't played since 2019, but he had 15.5 sacks in that season and can overwhelm blockers with his power. He'd help keep an elite defense at the top of its game.

Mike Wells on his fit with the Colts: Pass-rusher is the Colts' most important area to address this offseason, especially with veteran Justin Houston being a free agent and the team looking to get younger there. Sliding in alongside DeForest Buckner, Rousseau would have an opportunity to be a day one starter if Indy doesn't re-sign Houston, especially if Kemoko Turay's struggles continue.

22. Tennessee Titans

Jaelan Phillips, DE, Miami

Tennessee absolutely has to address the pass-rush problem. Teams with Super Bowl hopes can't finish No. 30 in the league in sacks with 19, especially considering four of those came in Week 17 against a bad Houston offensive line. They can't have zero players reach six sacks and just one record more than three. Phillips had eight last season at Miami, and his suddenness would give opponents something to worry about off the edge.

Turron Davenport on his fit with the Titans: Phillips will be an immediate contributor for the Titans even though they'll likely add a free-agent pass-rusher before the draft. His effectiveness both against the run and as an impact pass-rusher will get him early-game reps as a strongside linebacker when the Titans use an odd front. But also look for his hand in the dirt when Tennessee uses a four-man front.

In his updated NFL Draft prospect rankings, he has 5 Miami players ranked:
#16 Greg Rousseau
#17 Jaelan Phillips
#76 Brevin Jordan
#163 Quincy Roche
#229 Jose Borregales

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think teams really really like Brevin. I can see the Saints grabbing him earlier than the mocks. If any TE not named Pitts (even though he is a WR lol) and maybe the PSU guy get drafted before Brevin then these scouts need to be fired.

I think teams really really like Brevin. I can see the Saints grabbing him earlier than the mocks. If any TE not named Pitts (even though he is a WR lol) and maybe the PSU guy get drafted before Brevin then these scouts need to be fired.

We wasted Brevin IMO. He was asked to do too much blocking and h-back nonsense. Obviously, our O-line issues played a major part in that. But he wasn't big enough to take that type of punishment, he was a gamer so he did what the coaches asked but not surprising an under-sized tight end is going to get beat up inside and now he's perceived as soft/injury prone.

If we would have been able to use him the same way Florida used Pitts I think Brevin may have been able to go late in the first round. That's how badly teams need a pass-catching TE.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back