New pre spring nuggets from the Miami herald

T

TreOFive

Some of these ol and backers better read the writing on the wall. Hope they at least putting in work towards their degrees

brock

All-American
Some of these ol and backers better read the writing on the wall. Hope they at least putting in work towards their degrees

I think out of those 3 linebackers Mike smith definitely is serviceable. He played ok at times

LuCane

Administrator
Staff member
At linebacker, that includes Charles Perry, Mike Smith and Terry McCray. UM has spoken of moving a player to running back, and Perry warrants consideration because he played the position at Royal Palm Beach.

Someone explain this one to me. Mike Smith is Quarterman's backup. He played in a bunch of games and spelled Quarterman for a series or two throughout. He played ok enough to not stand out as bad. Unless we move Owens to that spot, how does Mike Smith fit with "disappointment?" Not everyone can be a starter or star player on a college team. Smith serves a role. Perhaps Jennings challenges him for time and, if so, that's great for the team. Otherwise, I don't see him fitting in with the "writing on the wall" players at OL and LB.

Liberty City El

Dejazmach
At linebacker, that includes Charles Perry, Mike Smith and Terry McCray. UM has spoken of moving a player to running back, and Perry warrants consideration because he played the position at Royal Palm Beach.

Someone explain this one to me. Mike Smith is Quarterman's backup. He played in a bunch of games and spelled Quarterman for a series or two throughout. He played ok enough to not stand out as bad. Unless we move Owens to that spot, how does Mike Smith fit with "disappointment?" Not everyone can be a starter or star player on a college team. Smith serves a role. Perhaps Jennings challenges him for time and, if so, that's great for the team. Otherwise, I don't see him fitting in with the "writing on the wall" players at OL and LB.
Agreed 100%...

Full disclosure, I'm biased in my opinion of "Rasta Man", but I actually thought he was solid last year in the backup Mike LB role.

He played better than he's played his entire time at Miami last season, I saw him in games frequently getting reliever snaps for Shaq.

His best games of the season were vs App St & Virginia.

Not saying he was an all-conference player or anything, but he didn't look horrible to me.

He did have a lot times where he looked out of place though, I remember early against Pitt he was missing reads, left & right, I think he actually gave up a TD on play because of a bad angle he took.

But, amongst the backup LB's, McCray & Perry were way worse imo, they looked slow as hell reacting to plays.

With that said, I'm a big fan of the #Squad17 LB class, I think Waynmon Steed once he recovers & gets back healthy will be an amazing WLB & future starter once Pinckney goes to the NFL.
I also think Jennings being an EE could get him some snaps this year in games like Bethune, Ark St etc..
Also see Wilder contributing on ST's this year.

Last edited:

KrazyCane

SAVAGE

Fake news who on staff would tell the media some bs like that anyway?

RVACane

Lone Wolf Maude
Staff member
Good thread [MENTION=1740]brock[/MENTION]. The article neglected to mention Haskins as well. God willing, he stays out of trouble, he can do damage.

hoover437

Senior

Agreed 100%...

Full disclosure, I'm biased in my opinion of "Rasta Man", but I actually thought he was solid last year in the backup Mike LB role.

He played better than he's played his entire time at Miami last season, I saw him in games frequently getting reliever snaps for Shaq.

Not saying he was an all-conference player or anything, but he didn't look horrible to me.

He did have a lot times where he looked out of place though, I remember early against Pitt he was missing reads, left & right, I think he actually gave up a TD on play because of a bad angle he took.

But, amongst the backup LB's, McCray & Perry were way worse imo, they looked slow as hell reacting to plays.

With that said, I'm a big fan of the #Squad17 LB class, I think Waynmon Steed once he recovers & gets back healthy will be an amazing WLB & future starter once Pinckney goes to the NFL.
I also think Jennings being an EE could get him some snaps this year in games like Bethune, Ark St etc..

I hope those lbs can contribute at least on special teams. As for the olinemen. Let's hope Johnson and Milo can step up. Lots of folks had high hopes for them.

Dwinstitles

All-American

Maybe they feel an incoming kid can take his spot just based on film alone, the backup three were slow as hell compared to the 3 kids who balled da fuq out. I dont care whos on the roster bring savages to replace whoever doesnt cutt it

Dwinstitles

All-American

Agreed 100%...

Steed reminds me of Spence

brock

All-American

Maybe they feel an incoming kid can take his spot just based on film alone, the backup three were slow as hell compared to the 3 kids who balled da fuq out. I dont care whos on the roster bring savages to replace whoever doesnt cutt it

Jennings

OriginalCanesCanesCanes

All-ACC (#1 most reproted porster on CIS)
I think Barry pulled some of this stuff right out of his own aśš. Mike Smith played well enough to get in quite a few snaps last year. I'm not saying he's going to crack the starting lineup, but come on.

And how can you discuss the TE position without mentioning Haskings?

Other than Pete, everything I read from local media, I read with a grain of salt. I have trust issues with the people covering our team.

The Franchise

The Best EVER

Yep. I don't think Smith should be in danger of losing his scholarship like a bunch of the guys that the Herald blogger mentioned. But I'm hoping he's in grave danger of losing his reps because he's not a very good LB.

The entire second unit that Diaz would mass sub in last year was pretty awful. Hopefully, we'll see great improvement from all those guys or have a couple freshmans kill it.

MedleyCane

Senior

Great post as usual.
Too many people are quick to label players as "busts" and "disappointments" when in fact they are in the 2-deep, playing vital roles for their team.

MIATL

Senior
As UM’s quarterback battle begins this week, one player remarked that Jack Allison throws the nicest ball of the contenders. The belief is that he has improved considerably since last spring.

No surprise.

Now that he's needed, I suspect the internal Allison "hype/support" will ramp up.

I expect to hear/read similar comments on Rosier being "improved", as well.

rok

Great Poster
I have a horrible feeling about Haskins.

Did Bethel play TE in high school?

He seems like a candidate to get lost in the shuffle at DE, perhaps he could be this year's Stan Dobard.