new Covid-19 FL thread

tcgrad1014

All-ACC
Here's another example of why I'm skeptical of the public health experts. Experts are now saying FL's curve is starting to flatten. That's great news. Here's one expert's analysis taken from the link below:

“We're still adding cases of COIVD-19 every day, but we're adding them at a much lower rate, which implies our social distancing is having a positive impact,” said Dr. Marissa Levine, a professor of public health at The University of South Florida.

FL wasn't shut down until April 3. The generally accepted view of social distancing is that effects aren't seen for 2-3 weeks after measures are implemented. Yesterday was day 11.

This leads me to believe that only one of the following 3 things is true:

1. The curve flattening is a head fake, and we're going to get a lot worse.
2. The "FL has done too little too late crowd" has been wrong.
3. Social distancing doesn't make that much of a difference in virus progression and other factors (like population density and weather) are much more impactful.

BlastUla

Freshman
Actually, all of those hypotheses (and many others) can be true.
Also, consider the following:
a) given the incubation period is 5 to 14 days, seeing a beneficial effect 12 days after isolation is quite reasonable.
b) Pelican’s point about social distancing starting locally weeks before the statewide “shut down”

tcgrad1014

All-ACC
Actually, all of those hypotheses (and many others) can be true.
Also, consider the following:
a) given the incubation period is 5 to 14 days, seeing a beneficial effect 12 days after isolation is quite reasonable.
b) Pelican’s point about social distancing starting locally weeks before the statewide “shut down”
Fair enough.

423Hurricane

High Profile Wannabe
Publix was social distancing and opening for seniors as early as March 20. I think we've been following CDC and the "experts" guidance for at least that long.

BTW, "experts" should always be in quotes, as it is an extremely suspect term, IMO.
Wasn't Miami-Dade, Broward, and PB counties "shutdown" a while before the state wide issuance?

SPAMM

Redshirt Freshman
If you don't test, you have no idea how many cases there are until they progress to the testing phase and/or hospitalization. Social distancing slows down the SPREAD of the disease. The term progression relates to how bad the case becomes. Progression is affected by genetics, pre-existing conditions, how soon you start treatment, etc.

JD08

Non-attorney spokesperson
If you don't test, you have no idea how many cases there are until they progress to the testing phase and/or hospitalization. Social distancing slows down the SPREAD of the disease. The term progression relates to how bad the case becomes. Progression is affected by genetics, pre-existing conditions, how soon you start treatment, etc.
But testing every single person is not logistically possible.

crossover22[]_[]

[]_[] already know!
Take this as you will. Im done watching news on covid 19 after speaking with my trooper buddy. Im fully aware troopers dont know everything and that a trooper can be wrong and full of **** but ive never known him to lie. Im also aware that im just some guy on the internet.

I was told this virus is nothing like its being portrayed by the media. He has been told not to watch the news, not to watch social media and only listen to the briefings that they have. Furthermore they shut down alot of our local hospital because they didnt have hardly any cases to deal with. In a county of 400,000 we have less than 150 cases. With a handful of deaths.

Im done following this crap. Ill continue to wash my hands and keep distance but im no longer watching coverage as i think and the trooper thinks there is something more going on behind the scenes. I have no idea what and i wont speculate on it.

JD08

Take this as you will. Im done watching news on covid 19 after speaking with my trooper buddy. Im fully aware troopers dont know everything and that a trooper can be wrong and full of **** but ive never known him to lie. Im also aware that im just some guy on the internet.

I was told this virus is nothing like its being portrayed by the media. He has been told not to watch the news, not to watch social media and only listen to the briefings that they have. Furthermore they shut down alot of our local hospital because they didnt have hardly any cases to deal with. In a county of 400,000 we have less than 150 cases. With a handful of deaths.

Im done following this crap. Ill continue to wash my hands and keep distance but im no longer watching coverage as i think and the trooper thinks there is something more going on behind the scenes. I have no idea what and i wont speculate on it.
Hospitals aren't allowed to perform elective surgeries is why the hospital is mostly shut down. I've heard things will resume on the 27th, but that's subject to change.

crossover22[]_[]

[]_[] already know!
Hospitals aren't allowed to perform elective surgeries is why the hospital is mostly shut down. I've heard things will resume on the 27th, but that's subject to change.

No my best friends wife had to work with covid patients for 2 days. She is a nurse. Then they shut it down for lack of patients with covid even though the governor told them to expect 1000 cases or more.

JD08

No my best friends wife had to work with covid patients for 2 days. She is a nurse. Then they shut it down for lack of patients with covid even though the governor told them to expect 1000 cases or more.
I was referring to why there's nothing else going on at the hospital. Your friend's wife's experience isn't unique. The employee to patient ratio is ridiculous.

tcgrad1014

All-ACC
27th of this month? Interesting. Where did you hear that?

Acane4ever

Freshman
NY asked for 40,000 ventilators. They haven't used 10k. This is part of the panic surrounding this pandemic. Then last night nyc adds 4k deaths to COVID-19? because they didn't include before. WHAT? I can't watch the COVID-19 coverage either because i know how it plays out and it's the same every day. All these politicians and media idiots looking to lay blame now...for what? Most of the loudmouths weren't at all concerned in early March. Even when confronted with video of their comments they lie. I stopped airline travel for work on March 13th and only because a coworker felt sick and we had to wait for his results which were negative. Been working from home since. Imagine senators and representatives that have been in office 20-30 or 40 years pointing the finger at anyone but themselves. If they hold BS congressional meetings into why we weren't prepared( which I think is preposterous because how could we be) I want to know what each of them did for the states they represent during the last 10 years to prepare. Test all the MLB players and get them back on the field even without fans. Then CFB, NFL etc.