My Game Predictions: Florida State

motorcitycane

Senior
Florida State

Yep Rivalry Week! The game of the year for Miami no need to say more. We all know what this game means for the program, future, recruiting wise, and it's time to kick ***.

Last Season FSU finished 10-3 with losses to GT, Clemson, and Houston in the bowl game.

Florida State Coming into this game.

FSU has had three test already early in the schedule. First they have Ole Miss marching into Doak week 1. They better hope they have their QB by then or they could be in for an upset. FSU also travels to Louisville to take on sophomore QB Lamar Jackson and a fiery Louisville team. Then 2015s ACC Coastal Champion North Carolina comes in to Doak Campbell. After finishing 11-1 in the regular season and going to the wire with Clemson in the ACCCG, FSU can't afford to sleep on UNC either. But I have them 5-0 and coming down to Dade County in a prime time game between two top 25 programs in one of College Footballs top rivalries. Also a very real possibility that they could come in with a loss or two. I hope not I want Miami to be first to put a L on the record.

Miami
Coming in:
Miami is 4-0 and off to a great start. The offense and defense have had 5 weeks and 4 games to gel together and get into mid-season form. By the FSU game we should have an idea who our real players are on both sides of the ball.

Offensive Star
Well this is obvious
Running Back Dalvin Cook
[video=youtube_share;CrXPUL5iR1w]https://youtu.be/CrXPUL5iR1w[/video]
[video=youtube_share;GbDpz0rB480]https://youtu.be/GbDpz0rB480[/video]

Defensive Star
DE Demarcus Walker (10.5 sacks)
[video=youtube_share;RyHydb1ecnA]https://youtu.be/RyHydb1ecnA[/video]

Florida State returns 11 starters on offense and 7 starters on defense.

Florida State Strengths
- Running Game
- Experienced Starting 5 OL
- Depth at WR
- Stout Defensive Line
- Three versatile Safeties with experience

Florida State Weaknesses
- Linebackers
- How good will the QB be? Who will it be?

Questions and key matchups

Miami Questions:

Miami OL vs FSU DL
One of a few Money Maker games for some of our guys on the line. Trevor Darling vs DeMarcus Walker, Tyree St. Louis vs Josh Sweat, KC McDermott/Nick Linder Vs Derrick Nnandi, Danny Isadora/Nick Linder vs DeMarcus Christmas. Phew! Those are some juicy matchups that give some of our guys a chance to prove themselves to scouts and canes fans alike.

- Can the Miami OL solidify themselves and have good momentum moving through the rest of the season.

- Can our boys open up running lanes against a formidable front?

- Travis Rudolph, Jesus Wilson, and Kermit Whitfield will be the starters can our DBS matchup?

Stacy Coley vs Nate Andrews. We didn't really get to see this matchup because Nate Nadrews was ejected for targeting on Brad Kaaya. Stacy absolutely went off last year against FSU he'll do it again as a senior with no Jalen Ramsey running loose.

David Njoku vs Matthew Thomas and the FSU LBS. Thomas is likely the LB who will guard Njoku or they'll have Trey Marshall come down from the Star position. Either way I like our chances vs a LB group that needs to prove themselves. If Thomas can't step up don't be surprised to see a few of their freshman backers come in.

Miami Front 7 vs Dalvin Cook. Need I say more? This is the most important key to this game.

Sean McGuire vs the DBs.
I'm not too high on McGuire as a QB. Think he's a solid game manager. But Henry and Francois are more talented. Having guys like Travis Rudolph and Jesus Wilson help too.

Florida State Questions
- Is McGuire good enough to get it done?

- Will one of the young guns have the starting job by this game?

- Losing the experience at linebacker does FSU have someone to contain short and intermediate routes and David Njoku?

What happened last time?
Here's the whole game in one hour.
[video=youtube_share;q-PhsPWfS4s]https://youtu.be/q-PhsPWfS4s[/video]
Dalvin Cook went off for 222 yards and Brad Kaaya went off for 400+ passing yards.
Miami's running game couldn't breathe.

Miami wins if we force 3 or more turnovers and contain Dalvin Cook IMO. Key word contain not stop.

My prediction

Of course this game can go either way, but if this game is close give me Miami and future first round QB Brad Kaaya at home to get it done for a program changing victory. Every recruit and their grandma is at this game. National media takes notice and this game sets the course for our season.

Stacy Coley with a big game. Njoku with a big game. DL has a coming out party. Sam Bruce and Braxton Berrios running circles around the FSU LBs to supplement a nonexistent running game.
Give me two Sean McGuire picks and and fumble and Miami moves on 24-17.

Everyone starts to put some respect on our name. 5-0 and we're on to UNC. Top 10 national ranking at this point.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The problem with deeming it a great start after 4 games is the competition. If we don't start 4-0 with every win except for App State by at least 24 points then it's a terrible start. If we accomplish that then it just means the season and Richt's tenure is hard to judge.

Losing any of those games is a red flag on Richt as coach. Similiar to Golden losing in his 1st game to a Maryland team that would finish 0-10 against FBS opponents not named Miami. Except that Maryland had gone to a bowl game the previous year and nobody realized at the time how awful they'd be in 2011.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Brad Kaaya has to beat FSU this year, he's going to be hands down the best QB on the field.. There is no excuse.

Stop Cook and we have a chance. We have to make the QB beat us, we can't let Cook beat us. I'm excited about Canes football again, might have to get another place in SF.

Brad Kaaya has to beat FSU this year, he's going to be hands down the best QB on the field.. There is no excuse.

Houston beat FSU with a 1st-year HC many on this board didn't think was good enough to be the next Miami coach ...

... And he did it with a converted WR playing QB.

... Against a Jimbo Fisher coached team that had a month to prepare for the game.

If Richt and Kaaya are who we think they are, this is the year Canes beat the Noles.

Advertisement

Houston beat FSU with a 1st-year HC many on this board didn't think was good enough to be the next Miami coach ...

... Against a Jimbo Fisher coached team that had a month to prepare for the game.

If Richt and Kaaya are who we think they are, this is the year Canes beat the Noles.

I agree 100%

I don't think Mcguire starts past the Ole **** game. So likely we deal with a combo of Francios and Henry and that will either be feast or famine against them.

Advertisement
Mark Walton will be back from any kind of suspension that he may get, and I think he'll be the key to this game.
Our OL has to step up big time and be prepared to hit the Noles in the mouth. We gotta come out strong, pound the **** out of the rock and control the Time of Possession.
Their Secondary is talented but young, if we run the ball down their throats that'll open up the passing game for Njoku, Coley & the Freshmans.
On Defense the name of the game is pressure... Blitz, Blitz & more Blitz, then when they think we're letting up, Blitz'em again.
AQM, Chad Thomas & the boys need to show up for this game, idc if they play like sh*t for every other game in the season, they better show up for this one.
The same goes for the Safety's, whoever the starting S's are have to have the best game of their entire "career".
Jenkins, Jamal & Jaquan gotta provide help over the top, they have a lot of speed at WR and they are going to attack Redwine all game, we can't leave him out there on the island by himself.
Hopefully, Shaq gets a clean solid shot at Cook and makes him cough that ball up, forcing turnovers & capitalizing off of field position will make or break the game. Most importantly, we have to score TD's when we get in the Red Zone.
Ultimately, we can get it done, we just need play lights out and show up to Sun Life ready to raise **** all game long.
Every single one of our players better have blood in their eyes, and every single **** seat in that stadium better be filled up.
I got us winning 31-20, and having this game being the catalyst for not only a new era of Hurricane football, but the beginning of the Richt era takeover of the ACC.
Go Canes!

Last edited:
I'm almost positive DeAndre François is the starter over McGuire.
I think it will end up being a by-committee thing. If McGuire is hot, they play him. If he's not, they give Francois a shot. McGuire isn't going to be good (or even consistent) all the time, so I expect to see both. Remember, it went back and forth between Golson and McGuire all year last year. Could be the same deal this year with these two.

I'd rather them play Francois against us. He's a talented dude, but he's young. And if our pass rush can rattle him, the possibilities are endless.

Advertisement
Njoku on those fresh LBs is going to be good for us.

I did forget that FSU landed Levonta Taylor. He may become one of those great freshman DBs.

I think it will end up being a by-committee thing. If McGuire is hot, they play him. If he's not, they give Francois a shot. McGuire isn't going to be good (or even consistent) all the time, so I expect to see both. Remember, it went back and forth between Golson and McGuire all year last year. Could be the same deal this year with these two.

I'd rather them play Francois against us. He's a talented dude, but he's young. And if our pass rush can rattle him, the possibilities are endless.

He's also mobile which the defense will have to game-plan for as well. Give me the more experienced, less-talented QB over the more talented yet less experienced QB.

[video=youtube;KP7znaB3Yog]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP7znaB3Yog[/video]

If we don't collapse the pocket he's gone for 10+ yards.

He's also mobile which the defense will have to game-plan for as well. Give me the more experienced, less-talented QB over the more talented yet less experienced QB.

[video=youtube;KP7znaB3Yog]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP7znaB3Yog[/video]

If we don't collapse the pocket he's gone for 10+ yards.

I saw FSUs spring practice and I wasn't that impressed w Francois. These are highlights so it's showing his best plays, but he wasn't that accurate the entire game...and tbh, being that he knew he wasn't going to get hit made him feel a lot better. I think he's going to develop into a beast, though...but he's no Famous Rapist Winston...that's for sure.

Jimbo is overrated. It's the Dalvin Cook show. Make their QB beat us. I like our chances very much this season.

Advertisement
Back