Modern defenses 2-4-5 vs 4-2-5 of Miami vs Tite Front

Paranos

All-ACC
Here are two very informative articles on how modern defenses are changing along with interior dline players. It seems Miami will use a blend of the 2-4-5 and 4-2-5.

Tite Front defense

Go Canes

Last edited:
Advertisement
Diaz already used the 3-3-5 looks a lot especially on 3rd downs. Diaz aso a few times has had a DE standing up but never both. The 2-4-5 looks are more of baker thing but will be interesting to see if diaz lets him bring in a few new things.

Advertisement
Good find.

The closest defense to ours that Feleipe Franks faced last year was Miss St... the Gators scored like 13 points that game. I expect them to have a similar game plan against us week 0.

Here are two very informative articles on how modern defenses are changing along with interior dline players. It seems Miami will use a blend of the 2-4-5 and 4-2-5.

Tite Front defense

Go Canes

Defense nowadays have tonnes of adjustment pre-snap, thus I hate when people say 2-4-5 or 4-3, etc.
Realistically its either an even or odd from (i.e., 4 or 3 down linemen) and all other players move around the field based on offensive formation.
Defenses don't have a choice based on the plethora of systems out there.

Watch the CFL, all this stuff has been going on for years and years. I personally have been in it and coached it.
Pretty innovative stuff up here.

Baker running the 2 - 4 - 5 at La Tech
Screenshot_20190621-095951_YouTube.jpg

Advertisement
Smaller Dt's plays right into our hands. SEC area dominated the big country DT's

". . . college coaches are under pressure to perform as a sort of minor leagues for the NFL. Although they'll make ultimately make some exceptions in order to win football games when the choice is clear, there is always some resistance to installing systems that don't translate to the next level and don't allow a team to recruit pro prospects."

". . . college coaches are under pressure to perform as a sort of minor leagues for the NFL. Although they'll make ultimately make some exceptions in order to win football games when the choice is clear, there is always some resistance to installing systems that don't translate to the next level and don't allow a team to recruit pro prospects."
Just like the spread has bled over to the NFL I expect these defenses to do the same since they are tailor made to counter the spread. Teams like the Ravens and Steelers already run a very multiple defense.

Positions in a modern defense are more fluid than ever. Versatility is a big deal. Offenses have had every advantage given to them and lining up with the same personnel groupings play after play will only get you beat.

For the life of me, I can't remember what Manny calls the package they use on third and long but last season it was essentially: Gerald Willis lined up over the center and everybody else standing up. I guess you could call it a 1-3-7 and pressure can come from everywhere or not at all.

Everything is done to counter the more spread out offenses. I'm waiting for the day when everyone is running a "spread defense" and offenses start lining back up in the I formation and pound the ball at them. Thats' when it comes full circle.

Advertisement
Even though Baker learned from Manny, I think we see a different and even more exotic defense from Baker. Training wheels will be coming off for Baker to become his own man running D here at the U.

If Baker is good, I wonder how many years he stays before he's back at LaTech or equivalent as a young HC.

Positions in a modern defense are more fluid than ever. Versatility is a big deal. Offenses have had every advantage given to them and lining up with the same personnel groupings play after play will only get you beat.

For the life of me, I can't remember what Manny calls the package they use on third and long but last season it was essentially: Gerald Willis lined up over the center and everybody else standing up. I guess you could call it a 1-3-7 and pressure can come from everywhere or not at all.

Everything is done to counter the more spread out offenses. I'm waiting for the day when everyone is running a "spread defense" and offenses start lining back up in the I formation and pound the ball at them. Thats' when it comes full circle.
I've seen that ran by the Ravens and Chargers (I think). I know they call it the 1-5-5

If Baker is good, I wonder how many years he stays before he's back at LaTech or equivalent as a young HC.
Hopefully we get a great few years out of him. If our staph is getting poached it means we are winning and they are doing a good job. I can live with that and it will help is our head coach ever gets poached by the League or if he sells out to the $EC.

Advertisement
Diaz already used the 3-3-5 looks a lot especially on 3rd downs. Diaz aso a few times has had a DE standing up but never both. The 2-4-5 looks are more of baker thing but will be interesting to see if diaz lets him bring in a few new things.

alot of times I remember this happening to the gun backside so the end could read the mesh point easier.

Advertisement
Back