Mike Smith- 247 Reevaluation

CanesFam17

Freshman
247 Sports Recruiting personnel went to see Mike Smith yesterday and came away impressed:

Tweet from JC Shurburtt 247 Sports (@jcshurburtt): "#Canes OLB/DE commit Mike Smith from @RyanBartow who scouted him today at MNW and was blown away"

when asked if a fourth star was coming, Shurburtt replied "Yes"

Last edited:
Advertisement
Great PIC

414.jpg

Advertisement
The way this staff is recruiting, by 2015 we will have the best front 7 in the nation.

Last edited:
Advertisement
In addition, him (DE/OLB), Thomas (BTW) and Jackson (BTW) won't be thrown into the mix right away. They can red-shirt, if need be. Build that depth on the line.

The way this staff is recruiting, by 2016 we will have the best front 7 in the nation.

That'll probably depend on the Curtis Porter role, but it looks like by 2015 we'll possibly have the best edge rushers in the entire nation.

We need at least 2 more Valentine-types waiting in the wings.

In addition, him (DE/OLB), Thomas (BTW) and Jackson (BTW) won't be thrown into the mix right away. They can red-shirt, if need be. Build that depth on the line.

Mike Smith is a guy who's basically being recruited to fill in for Mccord when he leaves. What we've done in transforming our edge rushers is outstanding for a consistent defense. One more position to go!

This is why the star system is funny to me. Us in South Florida have been watching Smith wreak havoc for a year and a half and now a national guy goes to see him and "gives" him the 4th star, which then outsiders will look at him as a better prospect than he was before he had the star.

Advertisement
This is why the star system is funny to me. Us in South Florida have been watching Smith wreak havoc for a year and a half and now a national guy goes to see him and "gives" him the 4th star, which then outsiders will look at him as a better prospect than he was before he had the star.

Then when you arrive at college your star ranking is meaningless and your just a guy trying to earn some time.

Side note, what is the deal with Devante Bond? Is he still coming in December or has that train has left the station?

Wait till we're ranked higher and/or competing for BCS games consistently. Kids we recruit will automatically be rated higher. This is the inherent bias in the system. It's part of the reason why Texas can suck so much despite getting mostly everyone they want.

Glad the staff makes its own evaluations. Good or bad, they have their own system and that'll make all the difference.

Advertisement
The way this staff is recruiting, by 2016 we will have the best front 7 in the nation.

That'll probably depend on the Curtis Porter role, but it looks like by 2015 we'll possibly have the best edge rushers in the entire nation.

We need at least 2 more Valentine-types waiting in the wings.

Agree. Building great depth on the edge. Now we need to do the same for some 1 technique guys. Valentine and Moten both seem to fit that mold.

Last edited:
Gotta admit I was dead wrong about this kid. I dont mind admitting that. I thought we were reaching with him. Didnt see "it" like others did. But he has really impressed me this season. Glad he is on board with us. And he looks like a MAN. Which is what we need more of. Men-folk.

If we can get Bond back in Dec..This will allow us to redshirt alot of these kids like MSmith and THarris. Definitely DJackson. I dont see CThomas redshirting under any circumstances. Gotta groom him to take over for Chick when the time comes.

Advertisement
Back