Micromanaging

DeadPoets

Senior
Doesn't work in the business world. Doesn't work for the Canes on defense.

We have such a complex defense (zone to man to blitz to prevent). We mass substitute way too much.
Our defensive players are never set and still looking over to get the play call???
Bennie Blades on the post game show (FSU week) with Sileo said the players are really struggling "with Coach D's complex defensive system."

How can we expect guys to get into any kind of rhythm or build continuity or, god forbid, learn and develop something from their own mistake/experiences, in this awful system.

I hate how coaches baby kids these days on a play to play basis. Have a f'in defensive scheme, have an identity, and let the kids learn and develop in it. But ffs KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid!)

Last edited:
Advertisement

We have such a complex defense (zone to man to blitz to prevent). We mass substitute way too much.
Our defensive players are never set and still looking over to get the play call???

How can we expect guys to get into any kind of rhythm or build continuity or, god forbid, learn and develop something from their own mistake/experiences.

I hate how coaches baby kids these days on a play to play basis. Have a f'in defensive scheme, have an identity, and let the kids learn and develop in it. But ffs KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid!)

The subs are required for this defense. We are on the field so much every game. Did you see our players at the end of today's game?

How can we expect guys to get into any kind of rhythm or build continuity or, god forbid, learn and develop something from their own mistake/experiences.

The subs are required for this defense. We are on the field so much every game. Did you see our players at the end of today's game?

That's fine. But then expect your players to never get into any kind of rhythm or begin to pick up on opponents/players tendencies.

It's a god awful philosophy all the way around.

Our defense is not complex. When you have no depth, no experience, and marginal talent, this is the kind of result you get. It doesn't matter what scheme you run or who your DC is. No scheme works without a DL that can at least hold up at the point of attack. The defense hinges on the success and/or failure of under-sized kids playing long before they're ready. Face it --- we are a mediocre team with marginal talent. Even if we do have more talent than UVa (I'm not convinced we do), mediocre teams can and will get beaten on any given day by any given team. This was one of those days.

Our defense is not complex. When you have no depth, no experience, and marginal talent, this is the kind of result you get. It doesn't matter what scheme you run or who your DC is. No scheme works without a DL that can at least hold up at the point of attack. The defense hinges on the success and/or failure of under-sized kids playing long before they're ready. Face it --- we are a mediocre team with marginal talent. Even if we do have more talent than UVa (I'm not convinced we do), mediocre teams can and will get beaten on any given day by any given team. This was one of those days.

Multiple former players have said it's a complex scheme. But ok

And lol @ you not being convinced we have better players than UVA. It was retarded how much more athletic we were than them.

I'm down for Golden getting his 4-5 years and I still believe in this man... but the excuses for D'Onofrio are running thin.

Advertisement

That's fine. But then expect your players to never get into any kind of rhythm or begin to pick up on opponents/players tendencies.

It's a god awful philosophy all the way around.

Its painful but I just dont think there is any way around it. Our offense scores quickly and we cant stop anyone. Not a good mix.

And lol @ you not being convinced we have better players than UVA. It was retarded how much more athletic we were than them.

I'm down for Golden getting his 4-5 years and I still believe in this man... but the excuses for D'Onofrio are running thin.

LOL at former players complaining. Recall that Sam Shields didn't even know how to watch film when he got to GB. That's the kind of player that was here waiting on AG and staff when they arrived.

More athletic does not necessarily equal "better player". Just ask the 1986 and 2002 Canes teams...

Last edited:

Golden will not last 4-5 years with this bull****.

Advertisement

LOL at former players complaining. Recall that Sam Shields didn't even know how to watch film when he got to GB. That's the kind of player that was here waiting on AG and staff when they arrived.

More athletic does not necessarily equal "better player". Just ask the 1986 and 2002 Canes teams...

Ummm 86 canes played for a ship. Bad comparison.

Advertisement
Back