Miami revenue impact Netflix or amazon documentary series

Is that all they own? What about Goofy, Mickey Mouse, Pluto, Donald Duck, and Snow White? Who does Netflix own that can compete? Name me one talking duck with four fingers that Netflix owns. Even if they have Daffy and Mighty Mouse under long term contract, whose got the better duck and mouse?

All that is fine if you have young children. Netflix competes by giving adults a wide choice of offerings that appeal to those who are looking for more mature viewing. Is Disney going to ruin its "Snow White" reputation by offering certain "R", "NR", and "MA" audience fare?

Advertisement
All that is fine if you have young children. Netflix competes by giving adults a wide choice of offerings that appeal to those who are looking for more mature viewing. Is Disney going to ruin its "Snow White" reputation by offering certain "R", "NR", and "MA" audience fare?
Mickey and Donald are mature. Why wouldn't that appeal to audiences other than children? Look, Donald even helps take care of his nephews. When does Daffy do that?

Mickey and Donald are mature. Why wouldn't that appeal to audiences other than children? Look, Donald even helps take care of his nephews. When does Daffy do that?

You forgot to mention some of the characters not wearing pants. Never marrying their girlfriends. Are the Nephews really Nephews or children born out of wedlock? Did Daisy have an affair with Scrooge or are they Donald's? Why did Mickey change his name from Mortimer to Mickey? Hiding from the law? Neither Mickey or Donald seem to have jobs. Are they cheating the welfare system? What exactly do the girlfriends do to bring in any money?

Daffy has a severe speech impediment which keeps him from working. As far as I can tell he has no girlfriend and has fathered no children. His only other problem is continuously being fed Succotash.

You forgot to mention some of the characters not wearing pants. Never marrying their girlfriends. Are the Nephews really Nephews or children born out of wedlock? Did Daisy have an affair with Scrooge or are they Donald's? Why did Mickey change his name from Mortimer to Mickey? Hiding from the law? Neither Mickey or Donald seem to have jobs. Are they cheating the welfare system? What exactly do the girlfriends do to bring in any money?

Daffy has a severe speech impediment which keeps him from working. As far as I can tell he has no girlfriend and has fathered no children. His only other problem is continuously being fed Succotash.
As far as not having jobs, that guy on Curb Your Enthusiasm did not seem to have a job...of course, I only got to see it a few times.

What about Seinfeld--did those guys have jobs? Maybe just barely, you know the fat little guy with job at the Yankees. But what did Kramer do? He just got into trouble all day. And who paid for his apartment? Maybe they were all drug dealers.do you never saw them going to work

So what's the big deal if some cartoon characters have no visible means of support? In the case of Disney, they have a huge company behind them.

I'm not a big TV watcher, so I don"t know a lot about those shows. I do remember something about succotash. Most millennials probably have no idea what it is.

Advertisement
The guy on Curb Your Enthusiasm made enough on co-writing Seinfeld to retire. Jerry was a standup comic. Elaine worked for various publishing companies. George worked for the Yankees, sold Real Estate, computers and had several other meaningless jobs. Kramer was on strike from a bagel shop and was President of Kramerica Industries. He also came up with the idea of letting customers make their own pizza. Jerry and George also sold a pilot to NBC.

If Disney wasn't so cheap, they would at least buy their characters some pants to wear.

The guy on Curb Your Enthusiasm made enough on co-writing Seinfeld to retire. Jerry was a standup comic. Elaine worked for various publishing companies. George worked for the Yankees, sold Real Estate, computers and had several other meaningless jobs. Kramer was on strike from a bagel shop and was President of Kramerica Industries. He also came up with the idea of letting customers make their own pizza. Jerry and George also sold a pilot to NBC.

If Disney wasn't so cheap, they would at least buy their characters some pants to wear.
Are you telling me Daffy has pants while Donald doesn't?

Daffy doesn't eat succotash, Sylvester does. Same with the speech impediment. He does have a bit of a persecution complex though.

Daffy does have a speech impediment. I think it would be called a lisp. As far as pants, he worked for a company which sold his and other cartoons to Warner Brothers. The budget was tight as the head of Warner Brothers at that time was so ignorant about the animation division he sold off the whole cartoon library for $3,000 each.

Advertisement
Daffy does have a speech impediment. I think it would be called a lisp. As far as pants, he worked for a company which sold his and other cartoons to Warner Brothers. The budget was tight as the head of Warner Brothers at that time was so ignorant about the animation division he sold off the whole cartoon library for $3,000 each.
I thought you were going to say the tight budget meant Daffy had to go pantless.

Amazon is killing the game. They're teaming up with another company (and already approved) to deploy over 3000 satellites that are close to the earth. This will provide access to faster, cheaper internet and also provide world wide coverage.

The goal is to give previously unconnected areas access and therefore expanding their potential customer base. It won't be faster than ground wireless, but plenty fast enough and certainly more so than those currently without.

If Amazon hasn't killed them, Disney won't either.

I don't think Disney is going to kill them, but you are comparing Apples to Oranges.

Amazon has the money, but they don't have a century long empire of creating films. 9 of the top 10 grossest opening weekend films are Disney.

Advertisement
Disney is going to kill itself. They just raised prices again. If anyone thinks they will keep the introductory price of $7 for very long, you are kidding yourself. They are like Apple. They have some diehard fans who will buy anything at any price, but they have reached the tipping point on just how much some of their users will buy or pay for their products. At some point there will not even be enough diehards to keep the profits rolling in.

Advertisement

Interesting read. This is where the classic term "pivot" is applicable. We'll see what Netflix does with its current customer base before it erodes too much. Like the article said, much costlier to acquire a customer than to keep it.

The only problem with that story is that it didn't take into effect that streaming services also lose customers. DirectTV Now which AT&T bought has lost 83K customers just in the 1st quarter alone. They are in the process of losing even more because they pulled NBC local stations from their lineup over pricing. Streaming is really in its infancy at this point. Just because you own some hot movies, doesn't mean you can start up a successful streaming service. Customers want to watch a diverse selection of programming, not just the latest hot movie of the week.

Disney is going to kill itself. They just raised prices again. If anyone thinks they will keep the introductory price of $7 for very long, you are kidding yourself. They are like Apple. They have some diehard fans who will buy anything at any price, but they have reached the tipping point on just how much some of their users will buy or pay for their products. At some point there will not even be enough diehards to keep the profits rolling in.

Not necessarily true. If you have diversified sources of income, you focus on those revenue generating streams to offset and even surpass your declining revenue streams. Just like Apple is doing now. They are transitioning from being a hardware company, to being a services, software and subscription company. They are still going to sell a ton of hardware, but phone replacement rates are slowing, and their other hardware sales won’t keep up to make up for that shortfall. But what is making up for that shortfall are the other software, services, and subscription revenue streams.

I’m happy with both Apple and Disney stock. Got in Disney around 50, and Apple as well around 50. They may be near a short to mid-term ceiling, as they transition into their latest revenue iterations. But I think they’ve got some more upside left yet. I’m more concerned about a general downturn in the economy as I am about these companies’ performance.

Advertisement
Back