Miami Palmetto Panthers

Advertisement
I graduated from Palmetto in 99 - Markeith Cooper and Haven Fields were just ahead of me and went to Auburn. Cecil Sapp (Colorado State), Corey Collier (fsu and Corey Jr.s’ dad), Chris Myers, and Andrew Handy (Memphis) are the football players I can remember w/ D1 scholarships in that era. Corey Kinsey (IIRC, he lead Dade in rushing yards) went to a D3 I think.

I haven’t lived in South Florida full time since then, my guess is that the boundaries for Palmetto have changed. My guess is further South into Goulds - (but not sure because Cutler Bay Sr. didn’t exist when I was in school) and West (past US-1 into Howard and Richmond Heights).

Palmetto would make noise once every few years but not like this.

Miami Columbus has.

Eddie Alvarez. Nice guy with a cool story. At my old agency, we were hoping he’d blow up in the Olympics to get him some work with some sponsors targeting Hispanic market. Unfortunately, it didn’t work out.

Last edited:
I graduated from Palmetto in 99 - Markeith Cooper and Haven Fields were just ahead of me and went to Auburn. Cecil Sapp (Colorado State), Corey Collier (fsu and Corey Jr.s’ dad), Chris Myers, and Andrew Handy (Memphis) are the football players I can remember w/ D1 scholarships in that era. Corey Kinsey (IIRC, he lead Dade in rushing yards) went to a D3 I think.

I haven’t lived in South Florida full time since then, my guess is that the boundaries for Palmetto have changed. My guess is further South into Goulds - (but not sure because Cutler Bay Sr. didn’t exist when I was in school) and West (past US-1 into Howard and Richmond Heights).

Class of 01’.

Advertisement
I'm a Killian Cougar. I was born to hate the Palmetto "bugs" as our football coach, Chris Vagotas ,(who later became a coach under Schnellenberger @ um), used to call them.

If we get 3 players that help return the Canes to glory, my hate will change to forever gratitude

Note: please excuse my spelling. I'm a product of Miami/Kendall schools!
Well same thing for me. I went to Columbus and hate Belen but if don Chaney rushes for 1400 yards I’ll be quite happy

Advertisement
Isn’t he from Connecticut?
He was Born in mass, transferred to a high school in conn. That’s what usually happens with the top level guys from Massachusetts. Or they join up in the preppy ISL. Huge competition disparity in Mass, usually the same 6 public/private schools with maybe another 2 lucky ones playing some respectable ball every year.
Problem up here is that everyone’s still a 3 sport athlete so football cannot be trained for all year. As well, no 7 X 7 and besides BC camp there is no real camp circuit for the few talented guys we have to get noticed.

The states of

Alaska
Idaho
Maine
Massachussettes
Montana
New Hampshire
New Mexico
North Dakota
Rhode Island
Soulh Dakota
Vermont
Wyoming

Have NEVER produced a single 5 Star football prospect.

This one team has 3 on one unit.
Landry Jones was a 5 star and from New Mexico.

Most likely its rules that allow transfers with no sitting out and recruiting/players going to program with best coaching or following coaches they know. Happens allll over south florida

Advertisement
Advertisement

Palmetto has all of Howard & a piece of West Perrine zoned to it, that's where all the black kids historically have came from lol. I think it's been like that since you were there because my big cousin graduated from Palmetto in 2000 and it was like that then (he was from Perrine.) Cutler Bay High has a piece of Goulds (most Goulds kids don't wanna go there & choose to go to Southridge or South Dade instead lol) Killian has all of Richmond Heights & most of east Kendall.

I played football at Coral Reef & my coach hated that we were a magnet school because if we were a neighborhood school we'd be the best team in the country lol

Yea Kwame Harris is who I thought it was. His younger brother Orien went on and played at Miami but he wasn’t a 5*.
Correct. Orien was a mid to high 4* kid don't get me wrong, but Kwame was the one who garnered all the attention cause he was from Delaware.

Come to think of it....he might have been the top overall croot in the nation

He was Born in mass, transferred to a high school in conn. That’s what usually happens with the top level guys from Massachusetts. Or they join up in the preppy ISL. Huge competition disparity in Mass, usually the same 6 public/private schools with maybe another 2 lucky ones playing some respectable ball every year.
Problem up here is that everyone’s still a 3 sport athlete so football cannot be trained for all year. As well, no 7 X 7 and besides BC camp there is no real camp circuit for the few talented guys we have to get noticed.
Did not know that, thank you. We got a pretty good run down of the Conn prep circuit from a poster when TVD committed, but didn't know most Mass kids who have talent end up going to Conn for high school

Advertisement
Back