Miami offer "shocked" DE Carter

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
The search for defensive line talent never stops at any level of football. Despite already having an impressive haul at D-Line for this recruiting class, the Miami Hurricanes have continued to look for players who can make an impact for them in the front four.

Dallas area defensive end Trey Carter is the latest target for the ‘Canes at that position.

“I’m a big-time pass rusher, but I’m an all-around player. I’m the type of player that everybody loves on their defense. Everybody likes to see someone who is running to the ball on every play no matter who gets it. I’m the type of player who can fit any team,” said Carter.

A few schools are talking to Carter more than others right now.

“Miami just came into the picture. I’ll be going down to OU this weekend for an official visit. Oklahoma State and Arkansas are in it too.”

The 6-5, 255-pound prospect explained how Miami came into the picture.

“It was a big shock to me how fast they offered, but it was very exciting to me because that’s a big-time program in the ACC. I had gotten in touch with Coach (Jethro) Franklin on Facebook and my coach texted me telling me that he wanted me to give him a call. I got on the phone with him and he told me he had five defensive linemen leaving and they were looking at me to be in the mix and they had watched my film and liked what they had seen. As soon as I got off the phone with him, I checked Twitter and it said Miami had offered me so I called my coach and he told me they had offered me. I thank God for it.”

What sticks out to Carter about the University of Miami?

“Miami is a good place to live and I’ve been reading that Michael Irvin came from there and some other big-time Hall of Famers and guys in the NFL so they have a good program, good facilities. I can’t wait to get in touch with Al Golden to see what type of character he is as a Head Coach. I’ve been doing my research.”

Although the other schools that Carter is considering are closer to home, his family would approve of him making Miami his future home.

“I’ve talked to my dad about that already and he said he would have no problem with it. He told me that Miami is close enough to home.”

Carter knows what he will base his final decision off of.

“Basically it needs to have a good environment for me and if my family can make it to a lot of games. They need to have a good coaching staff and the team needs to be on the same page with brotherhood. The school also needs to provide a good education for me.”

He is planning an official visit to Miami for January.

Advertisement
**** all of a sudden pete and Tito churning out articles left and right, good **** man

Advertisement
Trashing coach and DC probably doesn't help keep talent interested as they do their research on the U.

I hope the young lad visits and sees the promise that is the U.

How did they offer him if he didn't even know? Mind blown

Probably told his coach, which is how offers are generally given because this is the most "reliable" method. Kids sometimes don't realize they've been offered or believe they have an offer when they don't.

Advertisement
Kid seems to move pretty fluid for his size. Has good length. Like the fact that he plays basketball. Need long pass rushers with athleticism.

“I’m a big-time pass rusher, but I’m an all-around player. I’m the type of player that everybody loves on their defense. Everybody likes to see someone who is running to the ball on every play no matter who gets it. I’m the type of player who can fit any team,” said Carter.

Doesn't appear to lack confidence.

Advertisement
Kid seems to move pretty fluid for his size. Has good length. Like the fact that he plays basketball. Need long pass rushers with athleticism.

Yes, to the basketball factor. Many of our best players also had some basketball talent, even if not good enough to play college ball. Jimmy Johnson first saw Greg Mark when he jumped center for his HS basketball team. Body control, fluidity, explosion, all are important in basketball.

No kidding.

"reading that Michael Irvin came from there and some other big-time Hall of Famers and guys in the NFL"

doesn't seem like he knows much about the U....

Advertisement
No kidding.

"reading that Michael Irvin came from there and some other big-time Hall of Famers and guys in the NFL"

We will begin to hear more of this over the next few years, unfortunately. High school seniors were 5-6 years old in 2001.

No kidding.

We will begin to hear more of this over the next few years, unfortunately. High school seniors were 5-6 years old in 2001.

Tell us more about that time Pete. Reminisce with us about that time in your life when you were a lad.

If the kid is just now doing research about UM I can only imagine how he'll light up when he's seen who we have churrned out along the DL. We need some strong athletic kids on the DL and he fits the bill. Our DL class is looking sick.

Advertisement
Back