Miami legacy Handy making a name for himself

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
BryceHandy.jpg

The amount of talent in South Florida each year is always staggering. That leads to some prospects flying under-the-radar who deserve more attention, but spring practice normally reveals a number of these “sleeper” prospects.

2016 Columbus LB Bryce Handy (6-1, 220) is one of those individuals who has made a name for himself this spring with a strong performance at Friday’s FIU high school scrimmages. Handy recently made the transition from outside linebacker to the middle. The Explorers faced a talented Hallandale squad.

“I think I played fairly well. It was my first game playing middle linebacker, so with that being said I think I played well and I can get used to it,” said Handy.

Handy knows he has work to do, but the foundation is certainly there.

“I feel like I can improve a lot at middle linebacker. Going from outside to inside was a change as far as responsibility, but I feel like I have the instincts so it’s just a good fit for me.”

The junior backer doesn’t mince his words when asked to describe his style on the field.

“I would say I’m shifty, quick, and if I get the chance I’m going to hit you in the mouth as hard as I can.”

Handy explained his current recruiting situation.

“I have Army, Kentucky, and FAU offers right now. I’ve only been to FAU so far and they treat me very well but I wouldn’t say that anyone is ahead because the other coaches from other schools talk to me too, I just haven’t been there.”

Bowling Green, Louisville, USF, Duke, and Syracuse have all been in contact with Handy recently.

A school that the hard-hitting prospect would like to hear from more though, is the University of Miami. His father, Darren, was a starting offensive lineman on the 1989 Miami National Championship team.

“It would mean a lot (to receive an offer). My father went there and was a really good player so for them to offer me would be great because I grew up a fan and I wanted to experience that one day."

Handy likes what he has seen from his team as he heads into his senior year.

“As a team, we have the athletes to go really far. The only thing that could hold us back would be our communication, because we are a really young team. I put it on myself to step up for my team this season. I knew that I needed to be that leader on-and-off the field.”

Advertisement
When i was watching the hilites of the FIU scrimmage of Columbus in the other thread he stood out and had a big hit. he seems like a super sleeper.

I really like this kid a lot. Whoever gets him is getting a great football player.

Advertisement
His old man coached me at Columbus, awesome guy and great coach. He has biceps the size of Volkswagens and calves bigger than Smart Cars.

I would take Handy as a replacement for Simmons.

Miami NFTC (2/28/15) MVP LB - Bryce Handy - 2016 Columbus (Cane Legacy)
Linebacker MVP Bryce Handy of Miami (Fla.) Columbus came away with top honors in a rather loaded position group. The 6-foot-1, 220-pound prospect played with aggression during pass rushing drills.

Bryce Handy
16 LB FL
Columbus
5-11.5 213
40: 4.82
SH: 4.41
PB: 35.5
VJ: 30.8
SPARQ: 83.19

Gregory Simmons
16 LB FL
Fort Pierce Central