Miami closing in on two OOS QBs

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
QBU.jpg

Although Hialeah’s Alin Edouard is currently committed to Miami, James Coley has been hot on the trail of multiple out of state signal-callers. Malik Rosier of Mobile, Alabama and Brad Kaaya from West Hills, California could be Miami Hurricanes within the next month if everything goes as planned.

In an interview yesterday with CanesInSight’s Tito Benach, Edouard said he hasn’t been speaking to Coach Coley.

“I haven’t talked to him often at all. I’ve even tried calling him and he doesn’t answer.”

Edouard also had this to say, “When I say that my commitment isn’t strong, that doesn’t mean I’m going to de-commit. I want to be a Hurricane, its just more that I’ve been getting contacted by a lot of coaches and my head has been spinning.”

The full story on Edouard can be seen here: http://canesinsight.com/content/1713-Edouard-Gives-the-Latest. As for Kaaya and Rosier, both hold Miami offers and have the ‘Canes on top. Interestingly, both also plan to compete at the June 1st Al Golden Football Camp. Kaaya was on campus back in March and told me last week that Miami was his leader and he plans on announcing in June: http://canesinsight.com/content/1710-Miami-leads-for-QB-Kaaya-plans-on-announcing-next-month

While Kaaya has had his offer since mid-March, Rosier received his offer from Miami last Monday. The night before Rosier was offered by the ‘Canes, this is what he had to say about the possibility of the offer coming.

“It would be hard for me not to commit, but me and my mom talked and she’s one of those people that doesn’t want me to commit until the season because she wants me to see places so she’s not gonna let me commit until actually right before the season starts. Me and Coach Coley talked and I already told him it’s gonna be hard not to take that opportunity. Right now, Miami is my number one so it will be a dream come true if they offer.”

I spoke with Rosier tonight and he had some interesting comments.

“I found out about the offer through Coach Coley and I was excited about the offer. It was a little tough not to commit, but I don't wanna commit too early. I wanna see the campus and feel the environment before committing. I plan on making my choice at the beginning of football season,” said Rosier.

The 6’2”, 210-lb Alabama product will get a look at Miami’s campus on June 1st and that could help seal the deal for the ‘Canes.

The California native Kaaya had some Cane-friendly tweets this week.

KaayaTweet3.pngKaayaTweet2.jpgKaayaTweet1.jpg

Advertisement
Thoughts on Alin, Rosier, and Kaaya? I'm assuming we take 2 who would you guys take and why? Personally, I would take Alin for his upside and connection locally then Kaaya just based off film but I really like Rosier too.

I'm not a coach or talent evaluator but there benefits to getting eiether oos qb. As far as Edouard if he is looking else where because other schools are contacting him Coley has to do the same thing as well. I think Edouard is trying to see where he stands with Coley which is the right thing to do. I like all three but my favorite local qb is Flowers.

I agree. I think Kaaya due to his size and film. Then Alin or Rosier. Two different styles. Would prefer Alin because he is local and has been committed for a while. It wouldn't look good if the U is trying to fight for local talent, then take a scholy away for a kid OOS.

coaching staff cant have kids saying im trying to call them and theyre not taking my call. That's not cool at all just call the kid and tell him we changed our mind doesn't sound like he's gonna give us the easy way out by decommiting. This is gonna get ugly gotta fix this before it get worse.

Advertisement
if you go best talent and production right now, it has to be kaaya and rosier. but i am really high on flowers if we can take him and not alin i would be happy (i still have d.robinson flashbacks) we can let that buch talent leave south fl because 2 or 3 inches

I really like Alin. I'll take Kaaya and Alin. Alin is a Cane through and through, and I'm not a fan of how they are pushing him out.

If I remember correctly Alin was commited before Coley had a chance to look at him? Seems he's higher on other QB's, sucks for Alin as he seems like a hard working kid and someone worth the look. I would love to see him camp here this summer and make Coley change his mind.

Advertisement
Edouard also had this to say, “When I say that my commitment isn’t strong, that doesn’t mean I’m going to de-commit. I want to be a Hurricane, its just more that I’ve been getting contacted by a lot of coaches and my head has been spinning.”

I know it's difficult for 17/18 year olds to make early commitments and to stick with them, but if I heard comments like this, I would keep recruiting other prospects too. From Antoine Smith to Keith Bryant, nothing is a given in the world of recruiting.

coaching staff cant have kids saying im trying to call them and theyre not taking my call. That's not cool at all just call the kid and tell him we changed our mind doesn't sound like he's gonna give us the easy way out by decommiting. This is gonna get ugly gotta fix this before it get worse.

I completely agree. I thought we stopped doing dumb sh*t like this under Shannon. No need to burn bridges and humiliate a kid

This is what big-boy recruiting is all about. There will be some butt hurt along the way but if there is someone better Golden and staff need to examine all options. Alin committed to Cristobal, not Coley. If he's not what Coley wants as a QB it's better to move on now than later, so the kid has a chance to look at all other options. It will be interesting to see if Cristobal extends an Alabama offer to Alin. If not, then that would tell you all you need to know about what Mario thought of Alin.

Noone is humiliating the kid. He is looking and so are we. Its the recruiting game and like it was said over and over again, he wasn't Coley's pick and I don't see Cristobal trying to extend him an offer at his new place. If we keep him cool, but if not, at least he still has plenty of time to get other looks which came in BECAUSE we offered him. So lets not for a minute not take into consideration that our offer to him helps Alin out either way.

I completely agree. I thought we stopped doing dumb sh*t like this under Shannon. No need to burn bridges and humiliate a kid

Advertisement
I'd like to see the staff figure out this Alin thing sooner rather than later. Whether or not they are justified in ignoring him or whatever, it would still be a good idea to cover our bases and preemptively stem any type of bad feelings in SFla from a perceived "diss."

I'd like to see the staff figure out this Alin thing sooner rather than later. Whether or not they are justified in ignoring him or whatever, it would still be a good idea to cover our bases and preemptively stem any type of bad feelings in SFla from a perceived "diss."

Yeah we don't want anymore of these "I can't trust the staff" kids

Alin didn't commit to cristobal he committed to the University of Miami and coach G has to okay anybody before they're offered. shouldn't have given him a solid offer if they weren't sure, kid said if he got the offer he'd commit and he did. He stuck to his word now the staff needs to stick to theirs.

Advertisement
Alin didn't commit to cristobal he committed to the University of Miami and coach G has to okay anybody before they're offered. shouldn't have given him a solid offer if they weren't sure, kid said if he got the offer he'd commit and he did. He stuck to his word now the staff needs to stick to theirs.

Since Coley is the recruiting coordinator you have to think he likes Alin enough that he would ok it so I think he likes Alin but Alin doesn't fit the 6'3, 6'4 height that he wants

I wouldn't mind signing all 3 personally. Love Kaaya, very intrigued by Alin, and Rosier seems legit too. We will only have Williams, Dewey / Crow (not both) and Olsen next year. And Williams gone after that. Bring in the 3, and let it play out. Either Alin can't keep up and gets moved to another position or one of the three transfers and we are no worse for the effort. Competition at every position.

I wouldn't mind signing all 3 personally. Love Kaaya, very intrigued by Alin, and Rosier seems legit too. We will only have Williams, Dewey / Crow (not both) and Olsen next year. And Williams gone after that. Bring in the 3, and let it play out. Either Alin can't keep up and gets moved to another position or one of the three transfers and we are no worse for the effort. Competition at every position.

If Dewey had transferred then it would be possible but now I don't think so

Advertisement
Back