Mass random testing

JD08

Evidence based and data driven
No country on earth, is capable of mass testing. Not over a short period of time

Even South Korea performed only 270,000, including duplicates, in a country of over 50 million, and they were the country that was most prepared and best organized.
But you could do random antibody testing to determine how many had it and recovered, then calculate the percentage that required hospitalization.

Problem is that the people and equipment to do that are a little preoccupied right now.

But you could do random antibody testing to determine how many had it and recovered, then calculate the percentage that required hospitalization.

Problem is that the people and equipment to do that are a little preoccupied right now.
Really can’t comment about the mass antibody testing. I just don’t know what the test is, how easy it is to administer, and so forth.How do you get an accurate anybody count? Blood draw?

JD08

Really can’t comment about the mass antibody testing. I just don’t know what the test is, how easy it is to administer, and so forth.How do you get an accurate anybody count? Blood draw?
Those are details that are beyond me. But I know they can do a measles titer test to see your concentration of measles antibodies with a finger stick. I would imagine the test is probably not available just yet given the timing, but I think I saw a post on here that one was being developed.

MIA42178

All-ACC
This is exactly right. And one of the companies that supplies rapid PCR flu test equipment to clinics, urgent cares, etc. just announced that they have a FDA approved 30 minute point of service COVID test using the existing hardware.
Good news. Hope they can produce rapidly

AmherstCane

Recruit
No country on earth, is capable of mass testing. Not over a short period of time

Even South Korea performed only 270,000, including duplicates, in a country of over 50 million, and they were the country that was most prepared and best organized.
S. Korea has tested one out of every 270 people in the country. US has tested one out of every 1090 people according to today’s figures.

S. Korea has tested one out of every 270 people in the country. US has tested one out of every 1090 people according to today’s figures.
So Korea is the gold standard. I think the entire world realizes that

People saying we should’ve done this and that, are right, we should have, but could we have done it? We are still struggling now.

People say things without knowing exactly what it takes to cycle up that many tests in our system, the type of bureaucratic obstacles that the CDC puts in front of people and FDA regulations, which you just can’t throw out the window.

423Hurricane

Recruit
When they first started testing here, they were using a cotton swab stuck way up in the nose and it took 3 or 4 days for results. They’ve done an incredible job ramping up to mass testing in the last several days. Results now take just hours and if I’m not mistaken, a self test of just a swab of the nostril will soon be available.

JD08

When they first started testing here, they were using a cotton swab stuck way up in the nose and it took 3 or 4 days for results. They’ve done an incredible job ramping up to mass testing in the last several days. Results now take just hours and if I’m not mistaken, a self test of just a swab of the nostril will soon be available.
They stopped taking 2 swabs a few days ago. They just do the nasal swab now. With the shortage of swabs, they probably found that one was enough.