Marquavius Lewis talks Miami visit and recruitment

View as article

Nash Williams

Freshman
Ranked as the number 2 overall Junior College prospect in the class of 2015 by 247Sports.com's Composite ranking system, Marquavius Lewis is one of the most highly recruited prospects in all of the country.

Lewis visited Miami this past week for two days with his teammate, and new Miami commit, Claude George.

"Well we got to see the city of course which was great. Then we saw the campus and how they plan on fitting us in their schemes. We also got to see how the coaches and the players interact like a family," said Lewis.

Both George and Lewis star at Hutchinson Community College in Kansas. While George already pulled the trigger and committed right after the visit, Lewis still has a lot of thinking to do and the official visit has just given Lewis more to think about.

"Well, Miami has been my dream school ever since I was growing up as a little kid. It was great that I had the opportunity to go see the school. So I got to make my dream a reality, I guess," said Lewis.

Lewis, who stands in at 6-foot-3, 265-pounds, was born and raised in Greenwood, South Carolina, a town about 90 miles outside of Columbia, South Carolina. As we all know, Columbia is the home of the South Carolina Gamecocks.

When asked if he felt pressured at all to play in his home state, Lewis said "It's my decision when it comes, down to it so no I don't."

The Gamecocks, along with Miami, Auburn, Alabama, and Arizona State round out Lewis' top five choices. He has already officially visited Miami and Arizona State. He says he plans to officially visit the other three schools in the future.

Down to his final five already, what will be the ultimate deciding factor when it comes time for a commitment?

"Probably just to see how the coaches and players interact with one another. What the players think about their coaches. How the coaches help their players succeed on and off the field will be most important."

Miami has thrown their hats in the Marquavius Lewis sweepstakes and it's chances of landing him are very good.

Here are Lewis' highlights from his freshman year of JuCo:
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1664253/highlights/131698378

**Photo via 247Sports.com

Advertisement
We don't stand a chance for his services IMO. The dreaded dreamschool line.

Advertisement
Advertisement
"What the players think about their coaches. How the coaches help their players succeed on and off the field will be most important."

We all know Miami's defensive coaches suck, once he visits Bama it's a wrap. they LOVE Kirby Smart there idk if anybody loves Jethro or Mark D'Onofrio

"What the players think about their coaches. How the coaches help their players succeed on and off the field will be most important."

We all know Miami's defensive coaches suck, once he visits Bama it's a wrap. they LOVE Kirby Smart there idk if anybody loves Jethro or Mark D'Onofrio
Artie loved kirby smart so much he decided to play for D'onofrio

Artie loved kirby smart so much he decided to play for D'onofrio

That's not true, he went to Miami to be close to home for his mom.

Advertisement
Honestly don't think this kids knows where he wants to go. You read more than that outta that interview I don't know why to tell ya!

Advertisement
We so used to losing top defensive recruits we see things that aren't there. Guess quotation marks means nothing to some clairvoyants here. Kid clearly said visit was great. We were his childhood favorite growing up, but wanted to visit his other schools of interest before committing. So nowhere in the article did I interpret we're not in it for him! Plus with his boy committed that gives us another positive. We trying to turn the corner without power steering whereas our competitors do. We're turning the tide, no pun intended, but we gotta stop being so pessimistic.

Just might be un-DT enough to pull away from the SEC

Looks like USCe and Auburn are after him. I guess not.

And ur point is what exactly? Are we supposed to tremble and give up Becuz South Carolina and Auburn are recruiting him also?

I wasn't conceding him to those schools. I interpreted JHall's post as him not being big enough (only 270) to truly be pursued by $EC teams.

I was just pointing out that he is being recruited by $EC teams.

I can't stand by this stock quote that almost every Miami fan seems to believe. The only reason this stands out is because of the DT situation (and we're talking about flakes like Bryant and Valentine). Other than that, every school hits and misses on prospects. Would you say we lost out on Bush? Burns? AQM? Chad Thomas? etc? Those guys were highly sought after. But we only choose to focus on the negatives (even if they aren't real and only perceived), despite the positives.

We so used to losing top defensive recruits we see things that aren't there.

Advertisement
Back