Mark Richt's term at Miami has all kinds of support

pimpcane1

Junior
Here's a new banner for 2016: - ACC Blog- ESPN

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- Edgerrin James stood on the sideline throwing up a U with athletic director Blake James. Jessie Armstead signed autographs.

Russell Maryland, Jon Beason and Randal Hill chatted with friends. Down the sideline at the other end zone, former coach Howard Schnellenberger stood in his usual shirt, tie, slacks and suspenders. They were not the only ones watching the Miami football game so intently.

Former players from across different eras all came together to see Mark Richt and what he has in store for their beloved alma mater, giving the entire program a collective bear hug that has been missing for years.

They are not the only ones. Fans have shown their support, too, doubling attendance at the spring game at Lockhart Stadium, about an hour north of campus. The turnabout is noticeable. Remember, this is the same school that drew embarrassing headlines for the ubiquitous banners that flew on game days urging former coach Al Golden to be fired.

“So far, it’s like coach Richt is the president of Miami,” quarterback Brad Kaaya said.

A record 300 former players attended a get-together Friday, held every year before the spring game. Last year, Miami had around 80 attend. Richt was one of the last to leave. "We just shot the breeze and told war stories. Just had fun talking about old memories and what could be in the future,” Richt said.

This is the same program that saw one former player after another openly bash Golden, splintering what is traditionally one of the most unified alumni bases in college football between those who chose to quietly support and those who chose to vocally oppose.

But in just four short months, Richt has changed the dynamic. Vitriol has been replaced with candy hearts that might as well spell out “We love U!”

“He’s one of us,” Edgerrin James said. “He’s a Hurricane. He understands what it takes. You look at the turnout we had, you look at the former players who came back. Everybody’s excited. There’s just a difference when you have one of your own in the stable.”

Richt is suited for the job perhaps more than any other coach in America. His background as a quarterback at Miami clearly helps. But so does his track record at Georgia, where he averaged nearly 10 wins per season with the Bulldogs.

On top of all that, Richt easily handles being a program ambassador and is never shy about shaking a few hands, speaking on the rubber chicken circuit or voicing his opinion when he needs to.

“We all know we got a gift from Georgia,” said Dave Heffernan, who roomed with Richt for one season when the two played at Miami.

Richt is no dummy. He understood the need to get former players unified and the value in getting them pulling in the same direction. Miami has not been allowed to welcome them back to the sideline for actual games while it is under NCAA probation. Getting them on the field for the spring game was just a taste of what should come once probation is over in October.

The good will extends beyond former players. Blake James said season-ticket renewal rate is at 85 percent, the highest number he can recall. Over 6,000 new season-ticket packages have been sold. There is renewed hope for an indoor facility to finally gain approval, with Richt taking the lobbying lead.

Players have noticed all the positivity, too. Let Kaaya explain how it felt to go to a game knowing there would be a banner flying overhead.

“It’s hard when I know any bad decision I make on the field is going to affect my coach,” Kaaya said. “If I throw a pick, or if I do something that’s going to lead us losing this game, there’s going to be a banner up at our next home game. We’re 3-0 and I’m going into the Cincinnati game and there’s a banner. I’m just thinking, ‘I hope we don’t lose this game. I hope I play well so my Twitter mentions aren’t going to have, ‘I hate coach Golden’ or ‘Fire coach Golden.’

“We put in all this work and there’s a banner saying, ‘Bring back Butch.' ... 'Throw it in the tank for the season.’ Geez you’re giving up on us, too? That part right there, it was hard to take at times as a player. It was a bit nerve-wracking.”

The pressure is not necessarily off. Buy-in is always high when a new coach is going through the honeymoon phase. His credentials made him the perfect choice, but Richt will be held to the same expectation as every coach before him: win a national championship.

“He’s got to,” Edgerrin James said. “The city of Miami isn’t going to accept anything but getting this thing back.”

Advertisement
“It’s hard when I know any bad decision I make on the field is going to affect my coach,” Kaaya said. “If I throw a pick, or if I do something that’s going to lead us losing this game, there’s going to be a banner up at our next home game. We’re 3-0 and I’m going into the Cincinnati game and there’s a banner. I’m just thinking, ‘I hope we don’t lose this game. I hope I play well so my Twitter mentions aren’t going to have, ‘I hate coach Golden’ or ‘Fire coach Golden.’

“We put in all this work and there’s a banner saying, ‘Bring back Butch.' ... 'Throw it in the tank for the season.’ Geez you’re giving up on us, too? That part right there, it was hard to take at times as a player. It was a bit nerve-wracking.”

Worst fanbase in football. ******* embarrassing. Brad had it good compared to Jacory too, it's amazing we can even recruit top QB's with the way we treat our players.

Worst fanbase in football. ****ing embarrassing. Brad had it good compared to Jacory too, it's amazing we can even recruit top QB's with the way we treat our players.

SMH. Crazy that the palyers had to deal with that.

5458e1dbe4ec62c7ba68593396f81f8433841ce897284e99ccf769e3f65b1424.jpg

I hope we don’t lose this game. I hope I play well so my Twitter mentions aren’t going to have, ‘I hate coach Golden’ or ‘Fire coach Golden.’

Advertisement
Folden was like an even more paranoid Captain Queeg. He didn't want any former players around because he knew he was a fraud and that they'd see through him even if they publicly praised him.

And so much for the banners having no affect and being ignored by everyone.

Makes me sad that Kaaya took the banners personal like that. We had to get rid of Golden. He was wasting Brad's career like he had others. Brad was the major reason for hope the last two years. Let's hope seeing all the greats around will make him understand why we spent all that money so more greats could join the family in the future. Kid, you are family, Al was never anything but hired help who tried to make us another psu. The banners were never about the players.

Worst fanbase in football. ****ing embarrassing. Brad had it good compared to Jacory too, it's amazing we can even recruit top QB's with the way we treat our players.

The arrogant faqcits at UM caused the players to suffer by thinking they could mind meld UM fans into keeping quiet about Folden with dopey hashtags.

Fck UM for putting the players through that by keeping Folden around way past his expiration date and forcing desperate measures from fans who cared enough to save the program.

BS. Randy wasted poor Jacory's career. Al waste even more. I have never been part of picking on players and I know Jacory got a lot of crap he should not of, but the administration insisted on bad hires and then keeping them. We protected the program, our history and the careers of our future players. Brad will go top 5 this year or next thanks to Mark being here(I wanted Butch but Mark is gold for Brad). Another year of Golden and kid drops to 2nd maybe 3rd round or worse. I hate he was hurt by it, but Golden would STILL be here without it.

Advertisement

The arrogant faqcits at UM caused the players to suffer by thinking they could mind meld UM fans into keeping quiet about Folden with dopey hashtags.

Fck UM for putting the players through that by keeping Folden around way past his expiration date and forcing desperate measures from fans who cared enough to save the program.

Amen. Don't blame the grunts when the CIC sucks. Had we "behaved" Golden might have gotten ANOTHER extension. Administration sucks and only got lucking Mark got fired.

Win games and you don't have to worry about it

Wtf r y'all talkn about... All of that is the reason Golden is gone, Kaaya is just the type of person that cares about what other ppl are dealing with but he never had any hate aimed towards him. Jacory is the one UM qb that was terrotized by this fan base mainly bc we had a black HC that wasn't getting it done

Last edited:
Folden was like an even more paranoid Captain Queeg. He didn't want any former players around because he knew he was a fraud and that they'd see through him even if they publicly praised him.

And so much for the banners having no affect and being ignored by everyone.

Chise, yet again you seem to have had another lucid moment - and you're dead-on.

Folden belonged at UM like a rabbit in a wolf den.

Kudos to those who flew the banners - they worked. Sometimes it's more merciful to put a badly wounded animal down. And Golden was completely mangled.

Advertisement

Wtf r y'all talkn about... All of that is the reason Golden is gone, Kaaya is just the type of person that cares about what other ppl are dealing with but he never had any hate aimed towards him. Jacory is the one UM qb that was terrotized by this fan base mainly bc we had a black bc that wasn't getting it done

When the stadium is empty and the fanbase does nothing but bash coaches how could that not be viewed as hate his way? Golden getting fired was a foregone conclusion the banners were just added embarrasment. You idiots wanted blake james gone too but its clear now he had a plan and was 5 steps ahead your beligerance.

If you idiots had your way golden wouldve been fired 2 years ago and shalala wouldve picked another coach and truly buried this program

Last edited:
Brad will be thankful for those banners when he's a top 15 draft pick. With the dog**** coaching he was getting from Coley and Golden he was gonna end up on a stretcher. And maybe just maybe he would have survived he would been a 4th or 5th round pick!

Makes me sad that Kaaya took the banners personal like that. We had to get rid of Golden. He was wasting Brad's career like he had others. Brad was the major reason for hope the last two years. Let's hope seeing all the greats around will make him understand why we spent all that money so more greats could join the family in the future. Kid, you are family, Al was never anything but hired help who tried to make us another psu. The banners were never about the players.

Advertisement
The players with NFL potential, and especially Kaaya, just put a lot of money in their pocket by having a new, quality staff....

I'm sure their aches from the banners from last season are melting away quite readily....

Worst fanbase in football. ******* embarrassing. Brad had it good compared to Jacory too, it's amazing we can even recruit top QB's with the way we treat our players.

These statements are softer than Charmin. We need players that want to shut a fan base up for calling out their coach. Not start with all the boo-hoo bullsh!t.

And Twitter mentions?!?! Our QB is worried about Twitter mentions?!?!

Kaaya has all the tools but needs to sack up and quit complaining like a soft-shouldered little girl.

What would Ed Reed have said about a banner?

Nothing's more soft-shouldered and girl-like than message board p*ssies pretending to know what's tough, and then telling the players that actually do the work how to act tough.

very smart fanbase who knew 3-0 was fools gold

Advertisement
Back