1999 Era Recruiting vs Today (Derailed Maason Smith thread)

Hoyacane1620

All American
Premium
Says Miami, UGA, LSU and Alabama are his top 4 schools right now. These four will definitely get OVs. Has the best relationship with coaches from these 4 schools.

"Smith indicated that right now, LSU, Georgia, Miami and Alabama have positioned themselves well to receive official visits this fall whenever the dead period is lifted.

"Those four are the teams that have stuck out the most to me so far and are recruiting me the hardest," Smith said. "I'm trying to figure out the fifth. It depends ... some of the schools I haven't been to, so I'll see how I like it or the feel for it whenever I'm there."

ON MIAMI
"It's beautiful down there. Talking to Coach (Blake) Baker and Coach (Todd) Stroud and Coach (Manny) Diaz. We talk over the phone all the time. The relationship is definitely there. The last time I went there I had so much fun. It's a really good place to be at. South Beach is right there. So is Miami, but Miami is in Coral Gables, so it's close to all the fun."

ON LSU
"I talk to them every day. I talked to them before I got over here. It's an every-day thing."

ON ALABAMA
"The standard there is unlike anybody else in the country. They put top players in the league every year. The relationship with Coach (Pete) Golding and Coach (Nick) Saban and Coach (Freddie) Roach, the new strength staff, I talk to them, too, and they're good people. They want to see the best in me, and anyone who wants to see the best in me has a chance of getting me."

ON GEORGIA
"Just like LSU, I talk to them every day. I have a great relationship with Coach (Dan) Lennings, Coach Tray Scott, Coach (Kirby) Smart and Coach (Scott) Cochran. Even though I haven't been up there, it feels like I've been there five years already. They're all down-to-earth dudes. It's a great program I can see myself in."

Oklahoma, UF, USC and Oregon are battling it out for the last OV. Per Rivals national writers, they Expect this race to come down to LSU, Georgia, Alabama and Miami. Smith has not yet made up his mind and feels very confident leaving the state of Louisiana at the moment. He's putting a heavy emphasis on finding a spot that's also going to help him with life after football.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Advertisement
So many elite kids from LA have interest but I’ve never seen one come. Winning a kid like that in the midst of a bag war is almost impossible.

Yep unlike S. Fla. kids like that have a tendency to stay home in places like LSU...would love to have him but I’d definitely have a back-up plan.

We may not get this kid but I think it says alot about what's going on behind the scenes in recruiting. We've heard very little about him in months. He says he has a good relationship with the staff -good enough we made his top 5 list. Recruiting has a different feel right now -

Last recruit I wanted bad and let hope sink in that we would land them was Joe McKnight. His high school highlights are up there with anyone.

I basically already knew not to ever really believe a recruit from that state would come, at least the elite ones. Still hoped against hope and he picked USC.

Also really wanted Early Doucet from the state as well. Sick high school player as well.

Advertisement
We've got some highly-rated players from the state, but it's a lot easier to do if you win.

Pat Riley, Carlos Jones, Vegas Franklin, Akieem Jolla and Standish Dobard are the ones that come to mind.

And Berlin and Gerald Willis as 5-star xfers from UF.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Holy crap that kid is fast. He moves like a DE.

While we may not land this kid it’s great to see we’re grinding behind the scenes and putting in the work. Kinda reminds me of when kardell Thomas was semi interested in us

Advertisement
Back