1999 Era Recruiting vs Today (Derailed Maason Smith thread)

Advertisement
My view :

Yes winning is good I get it but , we have need for this player he's going to play against top flight teams , get on TV and tons of whatever exposure there is.
If he's good the NFL will see him , why these kids want for us to win before they come I don't get it come here to WIN . Were putting a team together and we want you to come and help us to win.

If a recruit tells me or through channels will only come if we win , I'm not sure if it's a tight game and the other teams driving if this kid won't collapse like many did in the past years.

I would bring it up to the recruit sharing what I'm hearing , if it's already out there than a very high percentage says it's true.

One more question , would you want a player that may only perform best when things are going good , think about it.
It's really simple. They've already seen on TV we can't out-talent the teams in the coastal. Our top talent gets drafted in the 3rd or 4th round if not later. Winning is an indication that the coaching staff has what it takes to develop them. The added bonus is they have a good chance of entering the draft as a champion.

Advertisement
Says Miami, UGA, LSU and Alabama are his top 4 schools right now. These four will definitely get OVs. Has the best relationship with coaches from these 4 schools.

"Smith indicated that right now, LSU, Georgia, Miami and Alabama have positioned themselves well to receive official visits this fall whenever the dead period is lifted.

"Those four are the teams that have stuck out the most to me so far and are recruiting me the hardest," Smith said. "I'm trying to figure out the fifth. It depends ... some of the schools I haven't been to, so I'll see how I like it or the feel for it whenever I'm there."

ON MIAMI
"It's beautiful down there. Talking to Coach (Blake) Baker and Coach (Todd) Stroud and Coach (Manny) Diaz. We talk over the phone all the time. The relationship is definitely there. The last time I went there I had so much fun. It's a really good place to be at. South Beach is right there. So is Miami, but Miami is in Coral Gables, so it's close to all the fun."

ON LSU
"I talk to them every day. I talked to them before I got over here. It's an every-day thing."

ON ALABAMA
"The standard there is unlike anybody else in the country. They put top players in the league every year. The relationship with Coach (Pete) Golding and Coach (Nick) Saban and Coach (Freddie) Roach, the new strength staff, I talk to them, too, and they're good people. They want to see the best in me, and anyone who wants to see the best in me has a chance of getting me."

ON GEORGIA
"Just like LSU, I talk to them every day. I have a great relationship with Coach (Dan) Lennings, Coach Tray Scott, Coach (Kirby) Smart and Coach (Scott) Cochran. Even though I haven't been up there, it feels like I've been there five years already. They're all down-to-earth dudes. It's a great program I can see myself in."

Oklahoma, UF, USC and Oregon are battling it out for the last OV. Per Rivals national writers, they Expect this race to come down to LSU, Georgia, Alabama and Miami. Smith has not yet made up his mind and feels very confident leaving the state of Louisiana at the moment. He's putting a heavy emphasis on finding a spot that's also going to help him with life after football.

Based on those comments I'd rank it.
1. Alabama: "They want to see the best in me, and anyone who wants to see the best in me has a chance of getting me."
2. Georgia: "It's a great program I can see myself in."
3. LSU
4. Miami

He has good relationships with all. He's talking with Georgia and LSU every day. Talking frequently with Miami.

Miami provides the fun atmosphere, but he's going to be focused on the business of getting into the NFL, so it appears Alabama with Georgia a close second due to relationship.

THIS IS A KID YOU FIND THE BAGS FOR.

THOSE MIAMI MEDIA DEALS I WOULD HAVE SIGNED UP ALREADY.

I CAN SEE HIS FACE ON A GUS MACHADO DEALERSHIP NOW

"I'm Maason Smith and I get my pastelitos at Plaza Bakery on SW 24th. Mention my name and get a free ham croqueta. Remember- That's Maason with two A's."

Advertisement
This kid has given our coaches the blue print on how to recruit him.

We have the fun atmosphere hes looking for in a big city so expand on that once he gets to town. Show him all the glitz and glamor the city of Miami offers. No other city in his top 4 can remotely come close to this.

Id expand on his idea of wanting the coaches to want the best out of him buy selling the education that the university of Miami offers. This young man seems to have a good head on his shoulder, why not take advantage of that and use that to our advantage. Push having a degree from Miami is no joke and you will have to push your self if you choose to come to Miami. But also then sell him on the small class room sizes compared to a cookie cutter degree from those other schools. kid sou

I get it that we have been down for a decade but we still rank high on number of players in the league and we should sell the heck out of that. **** maybe even high light that fact. Tell him look we have been down for some time but even with that we still send loads of kids to the league. Put that little tidbit in the back of his mind.

As far as LSU talks to me every day, well coaches wake your *** up and send him a text every dam morning. Take a pic of something Miami that triggers that fun exciting Miami lifestyle. Again he told you he loves the Miami life style, well sell the ****t out of it to him.

This kid has given our coaches the blue print on how to recruit him.

We have the fun atmosphere hes looking for in a big city so expand on that once he gets to town. Show him all the glitz and glamor the city of Miami offers. No other city in his top 4 can remotely come close to this.

Id expand on his idea of wanting the coaches to want the best out of him buy selling the education that the university of Miami offers. This young man seems to have a good head on his shoulder, why not take advantage of that and use that to our advantage. Push having a degree from Miami is no joke and you will have to push your self if you choose to come to Miami. But also then sell him on the small class room sizes compared to a cookie cutter degree from those other schools. kid sou

I get it that we have been down for a decade but we still rank high on number of players in the league and we should sell the heck out of that. **** maybe even high light that fact. Tell him look we have been down for some time but even with that we still send loads of kids to the league. Put that little tidbit in the back of his mind.

As far as LSU talks to me every day, well coaches wake your *** up and send him a text every dam morning. Take a pic of something Miami that triggers that fun exciting Miami lifestyle. Again he told you he loves the Miami life style, well sell the ****t out of it to him.
That would only make sense!

Holy crap that kid is fast. He moves like a DE.

While we may not land this kid it’s great to see we’re grinding behind the scenes and putting in the work. Kinda reminds me of when kardell Thomas was semi interested in us
We've had linebackers that can't move like that.

Advertisement
My question would be, are we seriously in this recruitment or is this about an official visit? We've all seen it play out before. Even with 10 or 11 wins, like can we really pull a 5* out of Bama and LSU country? I'd like to think I'm one of the optimistic guys on the board, but idk about this one.

maybe not out of Bama and Louisiana, but were in it for a top guy every year. Haselwood, Flowe, etc. We completely **** the bed on the field every year. Hopefully winning and Manny having something up his sleeve with NIL will have us land a guy like this.

It's really simple. They've already seen on TV we can't out-talent the teams in the coastal. Our top talent gets drafted in the 3rd or 4th round if not later. Winning is an indication that the coaching staff has what it takes to develop them. The added bonus is they have a good chance of entering the draft as a champion.
Good points here true..

Advertisement
This Nil or wateva, is gonna have to be our equalizer along with winning! For these 4 or 5* but enhances bigger payouts from bama, uga, etc now they don't have to disguise it anymore its basicly a signing bonus!!

"I'm Maason Smith and I get my pastelitos at Plaza Bakery on SW 24th. Mention my name and get a free ham croqueta. Remember- That's Maason with two A's."

I'm Maason and i wanna see ya at Hollywood Kia

images

“I’m Maason Smith, Star DT for your Miami Hurricanes, and when I want shop I only trust Trader Joe’s to get me right!! Stop by today to get the freshest produce, meat, and the greatest customer service! Mention my name at the cash register and receive 15% off your purchase.”

Advertisement
Back