1999 Era Recruiting vs Today (Derailed Maason Smith thread)

We should always be in play for elite DTs and TEs. Both of those positions eat more in our schemes than basically anywhere else. DTs here dont just hold the point to allow the LBs to flow, they attack the gaps and make plays. If this kid or Taylor come here expect 2018 Gerald Willis type numbers in their 2nd or 3rd season.

Advertisement
Was never an elite recruit. That is why posters always bring him up to support the argument for the 2 star undiscovered diamonds.

He likely would've been today. He came up during the infancy of recruiting rankings.

He was all-state at two spots, DB and kick returner. He was the New Orleans all district MVP on defense.

His ranking at the time was more of an error than anything. He also was on a state winning 4x100 team.

He certainly wouldn't have been a 2 star when there's so few diamonds in the rough these days. While just a guess, no worse than a three star and likely four star today.

We may not get this kid but I think it says alot about what's going on behind the scenes in recruiting. We've heard very little about him in months. He says he has a good relationship with the staff -good enough we made his top 5 list. Recruiting has a different feel right now -
I think the NLI has something to do with that, Now’s the time to strike white the iron is hot. We have to, HAVE TO put it together on the field. We do that, it wouldn’t surprise me at all to see more op flight talent take a seriously hard look at Miami.

Advertisement
He likely would've been today. He came up during the infancy of recruiting rankings.

He was all-state at two spots, DB and kick returner. He was the New Orleans all district MVP on defense.

His ranking at the time was more of an error than anything. He also was on a state winning 4x100 team.

He certainly wouldn't have been a 2 star when there's so few diamonds in the rough these days. While just a guess, no worse than a three star and likely four star today.
Well if Ed Reed was a 3 star prospect today, Miami fans would still hate him. 4 star, now you're talking nice.

I dunno, but I feel like when top tier players mention us compared to other schools regarding recruiting, it’s the same story.

With us, they always mention one or two coaches, three at the max, in communication with them; and we hear “we talk often or talk every other day.”

With other schools, they are sending the whole darn infantry to communicate with them. And we hear, “we talk daily.”

Have any of ya’ll notice that w the high 4 star - 5 star players?

Advertisement
I dunno, but I feel like when top tier players mention us compared to other schools regarding recruiting, it’s the same story.

With us, they always mention one or two coaches, three at the max, in communication with them; and we hear “we talk often or talk every other day.”

With other schools, they are sending the whole darn infantry to communicate with them. And we hear, “we talk daily.”

Have any of ya’ll notice that w the high 4 star - 5 star players?
I think it was the Zach Smith podcast - he said most big time colleges had an army of interns sending these prospects kid each day. He told kids he was recruiting (because of course HE didn't do that) to text back a question only the coach 'recruiting' them could answer and demand an immediate reply.

So I guess we don't have a bank of interns sending texts to recruits like Alabama / LSU etc.

We should always be in play for elite DTs and TEs. Both of those positions eat more in our schemes than basically anywhere else. DTs here dont just hold the point to allow the LBs to flow, they attack the gaps and make plays. If this kid or Taylor come here expect 2018 Gerald Willis type numbers in their 2nd or 3rd season.
Exactly maybe this kid doesn’t want to be a 3-4 NT space eater type. Not super knowledgeable on schemes but that seems like a waste for a kid like this

Advertisement
Advertisement
My view :

Yes winning is good I get it but , we have need for this player he's going to play against top flight teams , get on TV and tons of whatever exposure there is.
If he's good the NFL will see him , why these kids want for us to win before they come I don't get it come here to WIN . Were putting a team together and we want you to come and help us to win.

If a recruit tells me or through channels will only come if we win , I'm not sure if it's a tight game and the other teams driving if this kid won't collapse like many did in the past years.

I would bring it up to the recruit sharing what I'm hearing , if it's already out there than a very high percentage says it's true.

One more question , would you want a player that may only perform best when things are going good , think about it.

So, that's what a 5 star looks like. A guy like this should be able to go right to the league...not sure what he can learn in a few years in College.

My question would be, are we seriously in this recruitment or is this about an official visit? We've all seen it play out before. Even with 10 or 11 wins, like can we really pull a 5* out of Bama and LSU country? I'd like to think I'm one of the optimistic guys on the board, but idk about this one.

My question would be, are we seriously in this recruitment or is this about an official visit? We've all seen it play out before. Even with 10 or 11 wins, like can we really pull a 5* out of Bama and LSU country? I'd like to think I'm one of the optimistic guys on the board, but idk about this one.

Fair question. Guess we'll see what the staff does here in the next couple of months. This kid isn't committing any time soon.

Advertisement
Back