Little things + Position Groups from the Traz Scrimmage

kgranger17

Data Driven
I’m not in a Tate naysayer, I’m a nobody naysayer. Not enough information to have an intelligent opinion as to who should start August 24
I mean, I’ve made judgements before based off of scrimmage and minimal gameplay tape. He has enough at OSU tape for one to digest.

Can throw 10-15 yards. Long ball sucks. Not enough arm-drive for college demands. He got some nice little feet tho. Runs around like a rabid goose.

I pray to god he makes it half as far as Unc Rico.

YA BOY STILL CURIOUS THO

twes.305

Sophomore
we have bad OL, LB, and for rn DB depth. Once the 2019 recruiting class come in the depth at DB will be fine, but at LB and OL we are in some trouble. That being said, things like this situation come up while being a head coach and it is your job to fix it. As long as Manny is aware I believe he will fix the problem.

MotoSniper

Sophomore
we have bad OL, LB, and for rn DB depth. Once the 2019 recruiting class come in the depth at DB will be fine, but at LB and OL we are in some trouble. That being said, things like this situation come up while being a head coach and it is your job to fix it. As long as Manny is aware I believe he will fix the problem.
The rest of the Coastal has worse depth issues and talent.

demcanes26

Freshman
If you told me about a team with a 3 qb competition where qb1 was the 4 star incumbent qb the previous year, qb2 was the 4 star recruit backup, and qb3 was a 4 star transfer, and asked me to guess 3 weeks into practice how they would be ranked, I'd predict 1, 2, 3 in order. No surprises here. Martell is the only qb on the rooster with a HS completion % above 60%. I'm sticking with my theory that completion % is the best predictor of success.

I think he only threw for 160/gm though. Enos has been a OC or a QB coach in the SEC the last 4 seasons. His QB's have finish 1st, 1st, and 3rd in passing yards. All three guys were drop back passers. You pull up any Alabama tape from last year, and Tua is trying to push the ball down the field.
Same with Austin Allen and Brandon Allen. You don't average 8.6, 9.3 and 11.2 yards per pass, if that's not the case. Those QB's took 3 step drops, 5 step drops, and 7 steps drops, and push the ball down the field, I don't see that with Martell. I know he's exciting, and I get why guys like him. Plus, the QB play was so bad last season, people would put their hope on anyone new, but when I think about this offense, I don't see a good fit.

When Enos was hired, the other two teams looking for his service had drop back passers too.

LuCane

Administrator
Staff member
Perry and Williams are pretty close in my eyes. Perry has more natural arm talent but Williams is more consistently accurate and steady when things break down. At the same time, Williams also made more mistakes against the 1s.

Tate did some good things but is clearly behind the other two. He just doesn’t have the natural arm talent to make accurate downfield throws when his feet aren’t set. The problem is that his lack of height and our o line (particularly when going against our d line) exacerbate this problem by forcing him into situations where he needs to throw without having the opportunity to get set.

I do agree with Lu that Williams seems like a better fit for what Enos seems to be looking to do offensively. However Enos is so multiple and we kept things fairly conservative yesterday so that it isn’t all that clear yet what Enos plans to do here. At Arkansas they would look completely different week to week particularly when things weren’t going well towards the end. Williams may be closer to Brandon’s allen’s skill set but that doesn’t mean that Enos wants to run what he ran at Arkansas with Allen under Bielema who has his own philosophy Enos was tasked with implementing.

Nothing too surprising from the offensive skill guys. Osborn seems really solid fundamentally and will be a dependable safety blanket. I would like to see more Pope.

I was expecting the worst from the O line and they were better than I feared. I think Campbell and Hillary can be serviceable for us. I don’t think Scaife is an LT and I expect more shuffling before August 24th, for better or worse.

Our first team defense will be good. We are just incredibly thin everywhere on that side of the ball. We have plenty of young guys coming in but not many that will be ready day one.
This is good stuff. I'm not sure if we see perfectly eye to eye on Perry, but I'm happily willing to wait to see what happens over the summer and, if I'm afforded the chance(s) to watch Fall practices, see him prove it then. His feet did seem a bit cleaner than I expected, as I mentioned elsewhere.

Something I didn't get too into, but is a highly positive aspect from yesterday's scrimmage was the increase in drags and shallow crossers. I think I gave a 2 min standing ovation when we hit a couple consecutive ones. At worst, it seems like Enos at least attacks running and passing plays from multiple angles. It's a low bar to beat, but nice to see.

TimeB0mb

Junior
I think he only threw for 160/gm though. Enos has been a OC or a QB coach in the SEC the last 4 seasons. His QB's have finish 1st, 1st, and 3rd in passing yards. All three guys were drop back passers. You pull up any Alabama tape from last year, and Tua is trying to push the ball down the field.
Same with Austin Allen and Brandon Allen. You don't average 8.6, 9.3 and 11.2 yards per pass, if that's not the case. Those QB's took 3 step drops, 5 step drops, and 7 steps drops, and push the ball down the field, I don't see that with Martell. I know he's exciting, and I get why guys like him. Plus, the QB play was so bad last season, people would put their hope on anyone new, but when I think about this offense, I don't see a good fit.

When Enos was hired, the other two teams looking for his service had drop back passers too.
All good points. Maybe my theory is wrong (Weldon was actually more accurate in HS than all 3). However absent Martell being a pothead, I still think he gets it figured out by the start of the season.

So how are we feeling Canes Fam?!? We fückin this season, or getting fücked?!?
If we beat the turds, hang on.

We don’t have playoff talent or depth, but with our schedule, we can catch lightning in a bottle.

The QB job is like a big juicy plum for someone willing to study hard enough and work hard enough.

So QB is a question, the O line is a question, and overall depth is a question.

Several things have to go right, including not a rash of injuries, but we have a potential to do something this year.

What’s different is that there is hope. We will probably have an offense that doubles its output from last year. Might not even make top 50, but it’ll be much improved.

How much hope were you feeling before the resignation and the hire of Manny?

I’m hopeful but realistic. I think we could catch lightning in a bottle and do some amazing things, and I think we could lose several games we have no business losing due to the newness and meshing of the staff, and lack of depth and talent in some positions.

It’s really hard year to handicap but I’m optimistic

CaneDog66

Junior
I’m optimistic as well that Enos will be successful in scheming the offense to make that leap to a Top 35-45 offense especially given the defenses we’ll face this year. The thoughts on injuries is valid; I’m praying that with the rash of key injuries we’ve had so far that this is the gods way of getting them out of the way early, and that we won’t see a ton of them come season time. If Enos gets the right system around whichever QB he settles on as the QB for Game #1, then I strongly feel very solid about what kind of season we can have - like 11-1 heading to Charlotte.

craval85

The Marathon don't stop.
The system is different but Perry and Williams threw to many of the same WRs last year. If you honestly dont think that familiarity with the WRs gives an advantage, then nothing I say is going to change your mind. Yes I think Martell will make a big improvement. Gut feeling. Diaz watched Perry make an ass out of himself all offseason and he's not going to trust him with the keys to the car. It will be Williams or Martell, and I just think Martell is going to catch fire as he gets more reps.
Rapport with the WRs is certainly important, but in my opinion his biggest issues at the moment have nothing to do with being on the same pg with the WRs. It appears to me that he is currently struggling with some of the fundamental aspects or subtle nuances of playing the QB position. It is definitely plausible or conceivable to think that in 3 months he will be able to address some of his deficiencies, but at the same time I think the other QBs will make improvements as well. Regardless I am glad that Martell is currently on the roster. At the minimum he provides much needed competition, and even if he is not the starter Enos most probably will have packages designed to utilize his mobility.

Last edited:

kgranger17

Data Driven
This is good stuff. I'm not sure if we see perfectly eye to eye on Perry, but I'm happily willing to wait to see what happens over the summer and, if I'm afforded the chance(s) to watch Fall practices, see him prove it then. His feet did seem a bit cleaner than I expected, as I mentioned elsewhere.

Something I didn't get too into, but is a highly positive aspect from yesterday's scrimmage was the increase in drags and shallow crossers. I think I gave a 2 min standing ovation when we hit a couple consecutive ones. At worst, it seems like Enos at least attacks running and passing plays from multiple angles. It's a low bar to beat, but nice to see.
It took only one good opposing DT to break our entire run game. Looks like Enos has the ability to game plan around special talent. Richt would just say "F**K IT, I'LL GET HIM NEXT TIME"

***wouldnt get him next time***

brcane1

Sophomore
Lu, SIAP, but I'm curious why you think Harris is "the guy" over Dallas?
There's a mixture of smoothness and burst to Harris' game that feels like its on another level.

Swampcity

Sophomore
If Tate can’t win the QB competition then that is highly concerning IMO. Really makes losing out on Hurts that much worse.

Jarren and NKosi couldn’t beat out Rosier for a reason. Neither are good QB’s. I’m not expecting anything from those two, and if they are the best we’ve got, then we ain’t got ****...sad to say.

Couple this with the fact that our o-line is still garbage and I’m expecting another 7 win season.

Disappointing. Just when you think we were starting to turn it around, reality comes back to bite.
Watch out ... The sky is falling ... :6fps6:

6ix Natty's

Recruit
If Tate can’t win the QB competition then that is highly concerning IMO. Really makes losing out on Hurts that much worse.

Jarren and NKosi couldn’t beat out Rosier for a reason. Neither are good QB’s. I’m not expecting anything from those two, and if they are the best we’ve got, then we ain’t got ****...sad to say.

Couple this with the fact that our o-line is still garbage and I’m expecting another 7 win season.

Disappointing. Just when you think we were starting to turn it around, reality comes back to bite.
You must be a hit at the cocktail parties.