Little things + Position Groups from the Traz Scrimmage

LuCane

Administrator
Staff member
Just some notes I thought might be good for discussion:

- Coaches seem to have a better sense for testing situations and scenarios that carry over to actual game play. This had been a tremendous issue in previous regime and I had complained about it since first watching practice "success" and wondering how that could realistically carry over to games. The example I usually gave was watching Berrios (play X WR, outside) and closely protected Kaaya play pitch and catch on in-breaking routes. Then, of course, fail miserably in key situations (like FSU 2016).

Some examples from the adjustment by this regime include 1s vs 1s. Another more subtle example was rotating QBs with specific combination of players. Instead of just letting Martell, for example, do work against 3s, he'd intentionally get rolled into play against the 1s, for example. In past years, you could basically climb the depth chart or simply "look good" by being a 1 playing against 2s.

- QB situation. Without having watched absolutely anything other than this scrimmage, you'd have a hard time convincing me anyone is going to play over Jarren Williams. And, it has nothing to do with the stats. His footwork is better. He's a better fit for what I suspect this offense is being molded to become. Some subtle things stick out: he has better touch. There seem to be a lot of timing routes and, especially in the redzone, attacks on the corner.

When N'kosi threw his corner route, he literally tossed it out of bounds. When Jarren threw his corner route to the right side of the same endzone, it'd have likely hit the pylon, and ultimately went off the fingertips of Osborn. Is the competition over? Obviously not. But, ask yourself who reminds you most of Brandon Allen's skill set. He's the QB who had the most success with Enos (while calling plays). It'll likely be a fight over the summer off the field and then in Fall camp again.

Again, I'm extremely limited in terms of watching practice and drills so far, but Tate was seemingly out of whack today under center (and even otherwise). He can fire the hell out of the ball, as seen on a couple darts toward the sideline, but his feet were all over the place. N'kosi made some throws, but then also sailed a couple balls (like an out). He did show better touch than I expected. Let them all continue to fight it out.

- RB situation. About what you'd expect. I think Cam is the guy here unless Lingard makes a move. Speaking of Lingard, he looks noticeably better molded from a body type standpoint. His bottom half now better matches his strong upper body. Look forward to seeing him on those draw plays!

- OL situation. Bring in Mr. Miyagi. Whatever is necessary. We need more, healthy and better bodies. If anyone has a clear opinion on the OL now, I'm all ears. What they're going to be significantly helped by is the amount of diversity in our run game. It makes a tremendous difference when we run delays, draws, shift players, etc. I will say I'm curious to see how much more of that diversity Enos introduces because I don't think we have the horses just yet to line up under center and play smash mouth football down hill.

- DL situation. Pray for Jon Ford's wrist. We need another DT to step up badly. Tried to key on Jordan Miller and I don't see the leap coming from there just yet. Bethel will be helpful, but would be great as a 3rd or 4th rotational guy (think Moten). Nesta needs to continue to diversify his moves, as I'm sure he's doing, but he should be solid. The DEnds are going to be nasty for us. Garvin is Garvin. Rousseau will exceed the reset expectations, I think. All he does is make plays. Patchan looks better than I expected and Hill is on his way.

- LB situation. Depending on what finally happened with Bradley Jennings today, the depth is, as has been discussed, scary. Keep the experienced guys off the field as much as possible for now. Pinckney looks better than I've seen him and is still one of the better sneaky blitzers I've seen at UM since my guy Nate Webster. Need the kids to come in, eat deer antler, and contribute to depth.

- DB situation. Feel a little better about our CB situation. But, still razor thin. Watched Hall almost the entire time. He'll be fine. Need a second Safety with a skill set closer to Redwine. Right now, if I'm an opponent's OC, I attack us via twins and through the slot. We'll see how this comes together in the Fall.

Overall, it was relatively sloppy out there, but it's a scrimmage. Gotta watch for little things that carry over, can be developed over summer/Fall or are red flags. The coaches weren't lying, it seems: we need significant work, but nothing to panic over.

BeauxBeaux

Recruit

- Coaches seem to have a better sense for testing situations and scenarios that carry over to actual game play. This had been a tremendous issue in previous regime and I had complained about it since first watching practice "success" and wondering how that could realistically carry over to games. The example I usually gave was watching Berrios (play X WR, outside) and closely protected Kaaya play pitch and catch on in-breaking routes. Then, of course, fail miserably in key situations (like FSU 2016).

Some examples from the adjustment by this regime include 1s vs 1s. Another more subtle example was rotating QBs with specific combination of players. Instead of just letting Martell, for example, do work against 3s, he'd intentionally get rolled into play against the 1s, for example. In past years, you could basically climb the depth chart or simply "look good" by being a 1 playing against 2s.

- QB situation. Without having watched absolutely anything other than this scrimmage, you'd have a hard time convincing me anyone is going to play over Jarren Williams. And, it has nothing to do with the stats. His footwork is better. He's a better fit for what I suspect this offense is being molded to become. Some subtle things stick out: he has better touch. There seem to be a lot of timing routes and, especially in the redzone, attacks on the corner.

When N'kosi threw his corner route, he literally tossed it out of bounds. When Jarren threw his corner route to the right side of the same endzone, it'd have likely hit the pylon, and ultimately went off the fingertips of Osborn. Is the competition over? Obviously not. But, ask yourself who reminds you most of Brandon Allen's skill set. He's the QB who had the most success with Enos (while calling plays). It'll likely be a fight over the summer off the field and then in Fall camp again.

Again, I'm extremely limited in terms of watching practice and drills so far, but Tate was seemingly out of whack today under center (and even otherwise). He can fire the hell out of the ball, as seen on a couple darts toward the sideline, but his feet were all over the place. N'kosi made some throws, but then also sailed a couple balls (like an out). He did show better touch than I expected. Let them all continue to fight it out.

- RB situation. About what you'd expect. I think Cam is the guy here unless Lingard makes a move. Speaking of Lingard, he looks noticeably better molded from a body type standpoint. His bottom half now better matches his strong upper body. Look forward to seeing him on those draw plays!

- OL situation. Bring in Mr. Miyagi. Whatever is necessary. We need more, healthy and better bodies. If anyone has a clear opinion on the OL now, I'm all ears. What they're going to be significantly helped by is the amount of diversity in our run game. It makes a tremendous difference when we run delays, draws, shift players, etc. I will say I'm curious to see how much more of that diversity Enos introduces because I don't think we have the horses just yet to line up under center and play smash mouth football down hill.

- DL situation. Pray for Jon Ford's wrist. We need another DT to step up badly. Tried to key on Jordan Miller and I don't see the leap coming from there just yet. Bethel will be helpful, but would be great as a 3rd or 4th rotational guy (think Moten). Nesta needs to continue to diversify his moves, as I'm sure he's doing, but he should be solid. The DEnds are going to be nasty for us. Garvin is Garvin. Rousseau will exceed the reset expectations, I think. All he does is make plays. Patchan looks better than I expected and Hill is on his way.

- LB situation. Depending on what finally happened with Bradley Jennings today, the depth is, as has been discussed, scary. Keep the experienced guys off the field as much as possible for now. Pinckney looks better than I've seen him and is still one of the better sneaky blitzers I've seen at UM since my guy Nate Webster. Need the kids to come in, eat deer antler, and contribute to depth.

- DB situation. Feel a little better about our CB situation. But, still razor thin. Watched Hall almost the entire time. He'll be fine. Need a second Safety with a skill set closer to Redwine. Right now, if I'm an opponent's OC, I attack us via twins and through the slot. We'll see how this comes together in the Fall.

Overall, it was relatively sloppy out there, but it's a scrimmage. Gotta watch for little things that carry over, can be developed over summer/Fall or are red flags. The coaches weren't lying, it seems: we need significant work, but nothing to panic over.
Jarren threw three balls into defenders chest on the last drive. “...you'd have a hard time convincing me anyone is going to play over Jarren Williams.” A bit dramatic.

LuCane

Administrator
Staff member
Jarren threw three balls into defenders chest on the last drive. “...you'd have a hard time convincing me anyone is going to play over Jarren Williams.” A bit dramatic.
Plus, he threw one across the field in a terrible decision. And, I stand by what I'm saying for the rationale I provided. You're welcome to try, but you'd have a hard time convincing me he's not currently leading the QB situation based on fit and projection. Might want to read and include the entire sentence, you know, like the beginning part of the same sentence, which stated "without having watched absolutely anything other than this scrimmage." You must be in the media? I didn't make a call and I don't care who wins the competition. Not sure how that's dramatic.

TheU 4ever

Freshman

Thank you for the excellent overview! I greatly appreciate it.

TheChosenOne

Junior
Tate is terrible. I'm not surprised though. If you couldn't understand that the OC/QB COACH PROMOTED TO HC at Ohio State did not even fight to keep him there then IDK what to tell you. Also don't give me that "Tate isn't under the center QB" excuse, I mean he isn't, but Ohio State doesn't run that sort of offense and they couldn't have cared less whether he left or stayed.

HE AIN'T THE GOODS.

The OL, at least based on what I saw on periscope, was solid in the run game. The pass blocking was not good but Jarren Williams got the ball out of his hand so fast you could barely notice the pass blocking with him under center. He's our best QB.

Our DT situation is on defcon 2. Our constant failures to close defensively in recruiting is starting to really show. Diaz is directly responsible for the shortage of scholarship LBs.

I can't help but feel like Osborn is going to provide the reliability Berrios gave us in 2017 at the WR position.

We better hope the kickoff coverage isn't that bad.

Last edited:

Calvin

Junior
Let me say this, we not Miami if they let a guy like transfer tate walk in and take the starting job, that would mean we got alot of weak minded players, i told yall perry not with that. Look for perry to get better as well, coach richt's game plan was always to have perry and jarren compete this year for the starting job, its still working out but i do want to see what peyton got to say about it when he comes in as well.

Damiencane86

Freshman
From what I saw on live stream the o line definitely looks a bit improved, but still ways to go, I guess we gotta give some props to coach barry cuz we're definitely still lacking the horses up front. I really hope brooks, huff, couch, and williams are ready to play. Not great to hear about d tackle play outside of ford/silvera, but we have 4 dt's arriving in the summer so we'll definitely have depth there. I still think it's too early qb wise to make a determination but all 3 guys are clearly pushing each other. We'll see what happens from here on out.

RightSaidFred

Sophomore
If Tate can’t win the QB competition then that is highly concerning IMO. Really makes losing out on Hurts that much worse.

Jarren and NKosi couldn’t beat out Rosier for a reason. Neither are good QB’s. I’m not expecting anything from those two, and if they are the best we’ve got, then we ain’t got ****...sad to say.

Couple this with the fact that our o-line is still garbage and I’m expecting another 7 win season.

Disappointing. Just when you think we were starting to turn it around, reality comes back to bite.

reg

Sophomore
I, for one, am just glad that we have a legit QB competition. Based upon flipping through the threads and reports regarding the two scrimmages and throughout the spring, it really looks like Perry and Williams are starting to separate themselves. However, for anyone that thinks Martell is out of the running, you are playing yourself. We still have the rest of the spring, summer, and fall camp before this thing will be decided, imo.

I love it! Iron sharpens iron. @LuCane feels like Williams is the guy to beat, and in my opinion, that is a valid opinion. TOS, thinks that Perry is the guy to beat, which I also think is a valid viewpoint. Today, TOS had this to say about the situation...
"In our opinion, Perry was the best quarterback on the day. Perry had the best command of the first team offense and he didn’t throw any balls that were in danger of being intercepted. Jarren Williams flashed some nice passing ability, but he also threw at least two balls that should have been picked off. Judging by what we see during the media viewing portions of practice and from this recent scrimmage, Perry looks to be the front-runner for the starting job."

I can't wait to see all 3 QB's in person next week. Either way, we should be much better off at QB, than we have been in a while!

loeTed92

Recruit
Kosi and Jarren were solid today. In my opinion, Jarren seemed like a game manager in this offense. While Kosi seems like a big play or miss qb. Can’t go wrong with either. We didn’t have any deep shots today. Also I think YAC we’ll be very important for this offense.

IndayArtHauz

Mod
Staff member
If Tate can’t win the QB competition then that is highly concerning IMO. Really makes losing out on Hurts that much worse.

Jarren and NKosi couldn’t beat out Rosier for a reason. Neither are good QB’s. I’m not expecting anything from those two, and if they are the best we’ve got, then we ain’t got ****...sad to say.

Couple this with the fact that our o-line is still garbage and I’m expecting another 7 win season.

Disappointing. Just when you think we were starting to turn it around, reality comes back to bite.
Agree. Sucks, but we will expect to see you around next spring.

fincane

Senior
Most of our class isn't here yet. The incoming class is defence heavy.
Three ready to play transfers as well and then Phillips who will redshirt. Summer 1/Summer 2 means two new safeties. 4 DTs. Three DEs on the roster if Cam Williams qualifies. 2 LBs along with McCloud being back and who knows what they do in the transfer portal. Throw in two more corners as well.

Only one new defensive player enrolled for the spring. Compare that to Clemson who had 17 enrollees and 7 on defense.