Little known fact

O

OrionsBelt

Did you know that we went the whole decade of the 80s without having returned a Kickoff for a touchdown? Consider that was our decade of dominance and we were always known for having great special teams during our run that fact surprised me. Have we had any big time return guys (KO or PR) before Kevin Williams?

I guess I didn't realize how spoiled we were during the Davis/Coker years when we have the best collection of KO return men in college football for that period. (Hester, Tremain Mack, etc)

Little known fact #2
Travis Benjamin has more career receiving yards then Andre Johnson, Micheal Irvin, Eddie Brown, Lamar Thomas, and Randal Hill all future number 1 picks.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Didn't know #1

Not surprised at #2, considering our motto was "**** it I'm going deep" the majority of the time TB was here

Did you know that we went the whole decade of the 80s without having returned a Kickoff for a touchdown? Consider that was our decade of dominance and we were always known for having great special teams during our run that fact surprised me. Have we had any big time return guys (KO or PR) before Kevin Williams?

I guess I didn't realize how spoiled we were during the Davis/Coker years when we have the best collection of KO return men in college football for that period. (Hester, Tremain Mack, etc)

Little known fact #2
Travis Benjamin has more career receiving yards then Andre Johnson, Micheal Irvin, Eddie Brown, Lamar Thomas, and Randal Hill all future number 1 picks.

#2 doesn't surprise me b/c he was basically a starter for 4 years whereas most of the others had people in front of them that were good and/or left early.

Little known fact #2

#2 doesn't surprise me b/c he was basically a starter for 4 years whereas most of the others had people in front of them that were good and/or left early.

Benjamin left UM as 4th all time on the career receiving yards list just a hair behind Hank

Johnson,Brown, Irving all left after having monster Junior Years all probably would have had a 1000 yard years if they come back

Advertisement
And they all have at least one more MNC ring than TB3, so what's your point?

Surprised we never returned a kick during the 80's. Not really shocked that TB is so high up on the list. Like others said, he was here for 4 years whereas others weren't. That's like saying Tyler Hansborough is a better player than Michael Jordan because he scored more points at UNC.

Advertisement
To be fair to the OP, I dont think he is suggesting TB is better than any of those other players, just that it is surprising.

Wish to **** we could stop all the ragging on former players. With all the coaching changes, including Coordinators we've had the last several years, it's a damned wonder we won anything, or anyone ever accomplished anything.

Our past several years have been one interruption in coaching philosophy after another.

TB did alright by us. ****, as far as stats go, Jacory did well by us. He just had more coaches and offenses than Wal-Mart has suppositories.

This

Off Topic but the championship argument always confuses me (especially in football) because a lot of bad players win championship and a lot of really good players never do.

Are you saying that if Johnson, Irvin, Hill, Brown, and Thomas had played instead of TB that they would have won a title? Because that never would have happened.

If TB would have took the place of those guys would have those teams suddenly been so much worse that they wouldn't have won a championship?

Is Darrel McClover a better LB then Spence because he won a championship on the 2001 team?

Advertisement
i think once we return to the top people will forget about those teams.

Wish to **** we could stop all the ragging on former players. With all the coaching changes, including Coordinators we've had the last several years, it's a damned wonder we won anything, or anyone ever accomplished anything.

Our past several years have been one interruption in coaching philosophy after another.

TB did alright by us. ****, as far as stats go, Jacory did well by us. He just had more coaches and offenses than Wal-Mart has suppositories.

This

Off Topic but the championship argument always confuses me (especially in football) because a lot of bad players win championship and a lot of really good players never do.

Are you saying that if Johnson, Irvin, Hill, Brown, and Thomas had played instead of TB that they would have won a title? Because that never would have happened.

If TB would have took the place of those guys would have those teams suddenly been so much worse that they wouldn't have won a championship?

Is Darrel McClover a better LB then Spence because he won a championship on the 2001 team?

I don't believe TB would have had the impact any of thse receivers had on their respective teams.

Advertisement
Back