Lewis III Goes In-Depth About Senior Day

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
2013 ATH commit Ray Lewis III was at Sunday’s Rising Senior Day event and had big expectations heading into it. He was not disappointed.

“I was looking forward to see the coaches again and seeing how the scrimmage was gonna be just to see what I would be going up against next year. I also wanted to see the rest of my recruiting class. When I got there, I met everybody, but I don’t really know everybody’s names, but if I saw them I would know who they are. I just got to know them. We got a nice look at the school where I will spend the next 4 years of my life at.”

There was a lot of talk about Lewis III backing off of his commitment based on some comments he made in an interview a few weeks ago, but he put those rumors to rest.

“My commitment was always solid. Somebody on twitter was hitting me up with all this weak stuff about de-committing, but I didn’t respond because those were just rumors. The original interview that started speculation was a question about the investigation at Miami and if it affected my decision, and all I said was it was unfortunate. It’s always been Miami for me though, like ever since I was born. Nothing’s changed; I’m still going to Miami. Before and after the allegations it’s always been the same.”

There were a lot of activities planned today for the visitors.

“First we got there and we ate and then they took us on a little tour of the new building. They took us to the construction of the new locker rooms. Then we went to the scrimmage and after the scrimmage we looked at dorms. Then we went to the virtually library and then finished it off with a nice little barbecue after that, and everybody went home.”

Lewis III says there were some impressive performances from the scrimmage.

“Duke Johnson scored a few times. He made the most of his time when he did get in, and he’s only a freshman. I was watching Tracy Howard, he did good. Stephen Morris did good and the back-up quarterback did pretty decent too. All the running backs in the rotation did real good. The defense looks like it’s stronger than the offense from what I saw today.”

Seeing a lot of young guys make plays gives Lewis III hope that he can come in early and make an impact.

“Just looking at everybody that was young and playing was great. You start looking at them and comparing size and where you would fit in and there was really nothing that I saw that made me say it was a huge difference. We got corners out there that are 5’9, 5’10 170, but that’s irrelevant because of their will to get better and will to work. That’s what I love about Miami, they pick the passionate players that wanna get better and help the team. Looking around, I honestly felt like it was family and where I should be. It’s a bunch of people that want to get to the next level like me and achieve great things.”

One of the questions with Lewis III is what position he will play at Miami, and that still hasn’t been completely resolved.

“I talked to Coach Richardson, I talked to Coach Hurlie Brown, I talked to all of the coaches and they are all great people. I feel like I am going to end up playing DB. One of the reasons I think that is we have a lot of running backs already with another one coming in this class, but one of the areas we lack is DB. There’s a lot of guys who had to switch positions, like Deon Bush and Highsmith, who was a QB. And then there’s guys like Telemaque and McGee graduating so I feel like I’ll have an opportunity back there. If that’s where the coaches need me, I’ll go and do what I need to do to help the team be successful. The only time I really get time at corner is in one-on-one drills, all my life I’ve been a Safety. I love Safety and having the responsibility of roaming the field. If Coach Golden wants to play me at corner, I’ll play it. It’s not my natural position, but I can still do it. It would probably take my a little longer to adapt than if I played Safety, but I could definitely do it.”

Advertisement
2013 ATH commit Ray Lewis III was at Sunday’s Rising Senior Day event and had big expectations heading into it. He was not disappointed.

“I was looking forward to see the coaches again and seeing how the scrimmage was gonna be just to see what I would be going up against next year. I also wanted to see the rest of my recruiting class. When I got there, I met everybody, but I don’t really know everybody’s names, but if I saw them I would know who they are. I just got to know them. We got a nice look at the school where I will spend the next 4 years of my life at.”

There was a lot of talk about Lewis III backing off of his commitment based on some comments he made in an interview a few weeks ago, but he put those rumors to rest.

“My commitment was always solid. Somebody on twitter was hitting me up with all this weak stuff about de-committing, but I didn’t respond because those were just rumors. The original interview that started speculation was a question about the investigation at Miami and if it affected my decision, and all I said was it was unfortunate. It’s always been Miami for me though, like ever since I was born. Nothing’s changed; I’m still going to Miami. Before and after the allegations it’s always been the same.”

There were a lot of activities planned today for the visitors.

“First we got there and we ate and then they took us on a little tour of the new building. They took us to the construction of the new locker rooms. Then we went to the scrimmage and after the scrimmage we looked at dorms. Then we went to the virtually library and then finished it off with a nice little barbecue after that, and everybody went home.”

Lewis III says there were some impressive performances from the scrimmage.

“Duke Johnson scored a few times. He made the most of his time when he did get in, and he’s only a freshman. I was watching Tracy Howard, he did good. Stephen Morris did good and the back-up quarterback did pretty decent too. All the running backs in the rotation did real good. The defense looks like it’s stronger than the offense from what I saw today.”

Seeing a lot of young guys make plays gives Lewis III hope that he can come in early and make an impact.

“Just looking at everybody that was young and playing was great. You start looking at them and comparing size and where you would fit in and there was really nothing that I saw that made me say it was a huge difference. We got corners out there that are 5’9, 5’10 170, but that’s irrelevant because of their will to get better and will to work. That’s what I love about Miami, they pick the passionate players that wanna get better and help the team. Looking around, I honestly felt like it was family and where I should be. It’s a bunch of people that want to get to the next level like me and achieve great things.”

One of the questions with Lewis III is what position he will play at Miami, and that still hasn’t been completely resolved.

“I talked to Coach Richardson, I talked to Coach Hurlie Brown, I talked to all of the coaches and they are all great people. I feel like I am going to end up playing DB. One of the reasons I think that is we have a lot of running backs already with another one coming in this class, but one of the areas we lack is DB. There’s a lot of guys who had to switch positions, like Deon Bush and Highsmith, who was a QB. And then there’s guys like Telemaque and McGee graduating so I feel like I’ll have an opportunity back there. If that’s where the coaches need me, I’ll go and do what I need to do to help the team be successful. The only time I really get time at corner is in one-on-one drills, all my life I’ve been a Safety. I love Safety and having the responsibility of roaming the field. If Coach Golden wants to play me at corner, I’ll play it. It’s not my natural position, but I can still do it. It would probably take my a little longer to adapt than if I played Safety, but I could definitely do it.”

Great Info..... I think Ray Lewis III is going to be a playmaker at the Safety position for us. That's where he wants to be, that's where Miami needs him at.

I want him on the defensive side of the ball, preferrably as the 2nd or 3rd safety in this class, especially if it allows us to play Burns at CB.

Advertisement
Coach Hurlie Brown? Is he the new Assistant Equipment Manager?

Hurlie has a really important role on the staff actually...one of his major jobs is making sure the kid's academics are in order and laying out the qualification plan for them, etc. he is one of the reasons nearly everybody qualified from the last class.

And Ray is a great kid btw... I know there has been some concern about taking him in this class, but I'm on bord with him. He has a great head on his shoulders

Advertisement
Could be a real sleeper lurking at safety. Seems like a good kid, then again who would get out of line with Big Ray in the next room.

Advertisement
Back