Let’s talk tackling and wrasslin brother

Yeah, I don't think you need a jerk, you just need somebody who holds the kids accountable. You aren't being a jerk by benching somebody who drops a pass or misses tackles too frequently. Sometimes you have to put those guys on the bench as Manny is finally finding out

I think that Manny had too much patience for certain guys. If he coaches long enough he'll figure out which guys to give some latitude too and which guys to keep on the bench.

Surprised he still hasn't figured out the difference between gamers and practice players.
First step in accountability is to not call grown *** men "kids."

But it's the difference btwn being Kind and being nice. Being nice is bringing in donuts, a slip & slide, and a DJ.
Being Kind is holding myself and all of you accountable to the standards of performance in the program.

Advertisement
How we should tackle:

Dolph Ziggler Reaction GIF by WWE
Off-topic I know but people who still say wrestling is fake (I used to be one of them) don’t know what they’re talking about.

**** near separated his head from his body. My goodness.

Manny is coaching scared....period. he's "afraid" of losing his guys to injuries, I mean isn't everyone afraid of that? There's no way the University of Miami should be anywhere close to last in missed tackles. Idk how-to fix it, some say it's deeper than CMD, some say it's even deeper than Blake....

Wild take: Manny is a fix it guy, public speaker etc.....how about firing Blake, replace with Manny as AD, THEN let Manny hire Mario.... (I'm getting roasted for this one but I'm standing my ground lol)

Advertisement
Church Pray GIF

The Oklahoma drill made people change sports. It was the highlight of practice for the dogs. And the softees would hide in the back of the line. So Sunday thru Friday all we're really doing is playing touch. Same applies with blocking. A blocking sled or dummy doesn't fight or move towards the ball. So we resort to holding in games. Mandy never played so he doesn't understand any of this.
On point. Oklahoma drills were my ****. Easily my favorite drill. Used to love looking around to see who the scared p’ssys were. Our coaches always made sure those guys got throttled. That made them either quit, grow some heart, or improve.

Another thing: when I missed a tackle it would bother me so much. I’d barely sleep after the game worrying about going over the film with my coach my teammates. They haunted me. I worked hard AF to make sure I wouldn’t miss next time though. Point is, these kids really don’t care. There’s no accountability. Not even with themselves.

I didn't see this thread the first time around.

It is 100% true. When I'm coaching da kids, most of them, when they are just getting started with football are scared if hitting and/or getting hit...but, its a bump card, the more you hit, the easier it is. Just got to teach'em proper technique.

Church Pray GIF

The Oklahoma drill made people change sports. It was the highlight of practice for the dogs. And the softees would hide in the back of the line. So Sunday thru Friday all we're really doing is playing touch. Same applies with blocking. A blocking sled or dummy doesn't fight or move towards the ball. So we resort to holding in games. Mandy never played so he doesn't understand any of this.
Breh… the Oklahoma Drills made a whole lot of dudes into basketball players. Some of dem cats ain’t want no parts of dat drama. 🤣😂🤣.

Advertisement
Bruh. Spring and fall camp had dudes reevaluating their life choices.

At the beginning, you have 60 or 70 guys coming out. But once that chinstrap get buckled and and mu****ers start laying that wood, the attrition is like special operations pipelines. The weak start falling off real quick.
Facts.

Advertisement
I was listening to a Manny Diaz interview where he said it’s hard to practice tackling because of possible injuries and depth at rb. Which made me think of an old wrasslin reference that kinda connects with tackling. Growing up I was a big wrestling fan, I was a smart mark before that was a term.

I listen to a lot of podcast’s by former wrestlers that talk about their days on the road. they always mention that taking a bump isn’t natural to your body , kinda like tackling They also say the less bumps you take the worse your body reacts when do take them. Your body eventually gets used to the contact with the mat , the more reps the better your can handle it , It’s like your body gets callused / hardened by the constant bumping and the reps become second nature with how you fall.

Which brings me back to tackling . Tackling is like anything else , you need reps. Just like a jump shot or taking swings in the batting cage. Using a tire , a sled or thud isn’t tackling another man. Injuries are part of the game but you have to take that chance with something as big as tackling. It’s the most important part of the game. I mean it’s called “tackle “ football.

Back when I started playing ball I was very tentative and intimidated by tackling and tackling drills. But one thing our coaches did was have multiple tackling days , different drills that challenged you from different angles and different positions to help with reaction. I ended up one of our better tacklers and tbh we were a really good tackling team. Thats a far lower level but I know for a fact it’s necessary, practice makes perfect.

I also believe like taking a bump tackling and being tackled trains both parties on how to handle the contact and how to go to the ground. I don’t recall one injury in our tackling drills in the three years I played. I’m not saying you should have physical war daily but the results match what I’ve always heard about our practices , they lack physicality versus other programs.

The proof is in the pudding , Miami is the worst tackling team in the country. We have a minimum of 20 every game and 30 last game. If that doesn’t tell Manny about his practice habits nothing will.

This is why I’m so pro Mario and Alonzo. Smart people that are competitive , believe in physicality , toughness and knows what Miami is supposed to look like.
I have some very educated and experieced thoughts on football in its current tackling blocking state.
Here is my background: I wrestled two years in Jr. High, 3 years in high school, coached high school wrestling 5 years with multiple state champions. I also coached football at Cape Coral High School where I was the varsity DE coach and the freshman head coach. We actually had two players fron the freshman team make it to the pros later on.
As for the wrestlers I coached many that were not very good in the begining but they had heart and drive so I could work with them to help them be the best they could be.
Next I went into jiu Jitsu and after 11 years became a black belt in BJJ.
When I watch Canes games as well as others I see so many errors from a wrestling and judo jiu jitsu take down view that I get very frustrated. There are so many things I do in wrestling jiu jitsu that could be used in football which would help our players exponentially. A player does not have to be the best athletee on the field to be a very good tackler.
There are so many instances whether it's offensive and defensive line or linebacker play that could be improved dramatically if wrestling/judo/jiu jitsu techniques were added. The art of bringing the big booming hit has been lost and outlawed for the most part. There needs to be grappling techniques added from the pros all the way down to Pee Wee football.
Offenensive and defensive players should train certain techniques from wrestling jiu jitsu which would make them better overall football players the first game of the season.
Furthermore we rarely have concussions or many other serious injuries in wrestling jiu jitsu.
With just a few techniques added even to our current roster from the jiu jitsu wrestling world our team would be much better seemingly overnight. Everything we do in those sports is about grips and grip breaks. Football is the same way for everyone except for the QB/Punter/kicker.
Anyhow I'm off to Jiu Jitsu training right now where I will use the techniques that would make our team much better.
Go Canes!

Question: If our players employ Jiu Jitsu techniques when tacklin, do they have to bow before they tackle their honorable opponent? That could be a problem.
No real bowing in Jiu Jitsu other than in the very begining much like a the coin toss in football.

Advertisement
Two of the most highly respected minds in wrestling history and great managers on top of it. Both could talk circles around 99 percent of the current wrestlers. Paul is a sleaze ball human but his genius can’t be questioned.
Manny is babyface and not a heel... he tries very hard to win the crowd support. I think he is the baby face Jimmy Hart , not the one that managed the Heart Foundation but the one that ruined the Mega powers...

I have some very educated and experieced thoughts on football in its current tackling blocking state.
Here is my background: I wrestled two years in Jr. High, 3 years in high school, coached high school wrestling 5 years with multiple state champions. I also coached football at Cape Coral High School where I was the varsity DE coach and the freshman head coach. We actually had two players fron the freshman team make it to the pros later on.
As for the wrestlers I coached many that were not very good in the begining but they had heart and drive so I could work with them to help them be the best they could be.
Next I went into jiu Jitsu and after 11 years became a black belt in BJJ.
When I watch Canes games as well as others I see so many errors from a wrestling and judo jiu jitsu take down view that I get very frustrated. There are so many things I do in wrestling jiu jitsu that could be used in football which would help our players exponentially. A player does not have to be the best athletee on the field to be a very good tackler.
There are so many instances whether it's offensive and defensive line or linebacker play that could be improved dramatically if wrestling/judo/jiu jitsu techniques were added. The art of bringing the big booming hit has been lost and outlawed for the most part. There needs to be grappling techniques added from the pros all the way down to Pee Wee football.
Offenensive and defensive players should train certain techniques from wrestling jiu jitsu which would make them better overall football players the first game of the season.
Furthermore we rarely have concussions or many other serious injuries in wrestling jiu jitsu.
With just a few techniques added even to our current roster from the jiu jitsu wrestling world our team would be much better seemingly overnight. Everything we do in those sports is about grips and grip breaks. Football is the same way for everyone except for the QB/Punter/kicker.
Anyhow I'm off to Jiu Jitsu training right now where I will use the techniques that would make our team much better.
Go Canes!
Was nate Allen one?

Advertisement
Back