Leonard Hankerson to Stephen F. Austin...

Advertisement
Always liked him on and off the field too. He'll do well in this and the more young Canes that go into coaching the better.
Been sorely lacking in this department. I’ve always thought it was because so many of our guys spent so much time in the league they got a late start on coaching.

I loved Hank as a player. Hope he maxes out as a coach.

Been sorely lacking in this department. I’ve always thought it was because so many of our guys spent so much time in the league they got a late start on coaching.

Hank lacked that dog which is why he’s not still playing. He knows his game and can be a great position coach.

Advertisement

He's young enough to max out too.

Good for Hank. Having Andy Isabella ball out like he did this year really helped his resume.

Yep, good point.
Isabella balled out against UGA, caught alot of praise in that game.

This is the offense that Hankerson will be working with at Stephen F. Austin, brought over
from Texas A&M Commerce.
From the D2 National Championship game this past season against West Florida.

Advertisement
Oh, what the heck....doing a deep dive on Hankerson now....

Minutemen coach Mark Whipple, who was the offensive coordinator at Miami from 2009-2010 during Hankerson’s
junior and senior year, mentioned Hankerson’s vigorous work ethic right off the bat when describing what his
former player brings to the UMass coaching staff.

“Well he’s always been a hard worker when I coached him at Miami,” Whipple said. “He was really smart. I think he
brings a ton of things to the room, experience, presence and most importantly he’s a good teacher and a great person.”

“He’s a good coach and the things he’s learned over his time playing receiver, he brings those things, the little things,”
Whipple said. “The fundamentals, the work ethic, how to study film and all things that way. That’s why he played in
the NFL and playing with those records at Miami. He’s a great role model for those guys.”

“It couldn’t be a better opportunity to put me,” Hankerson said. “Playing with Coach Whip for two years at Miami,
I learned a lot from him. It was a good deal just to come over and get back and reunite with Coach Whip and Spencer
Whipple and to come over and help out.”

“Even when I was a player, I was still a coach. I knew everything on offense from A to Z. Older players would ask me what I
thought on this play. Even the coaches would ask what I thought,” he said. “My mind naturally goes that way.”

Whipple said Hankerson’s knowledge of the entire offense was critical in the season opening game against rival
Florida State in 2009.

“In my first season at Miami we lost the X-receiver. (Hankerson) had never even practiced there,” Whipple said.
“But he moved over and didn’t make a mistake. He made a big catch for a first down to help us win the game.”

Hankerson had been used sparingly before that in his first two seasons at Miami, but under Whipple, who became
the offensive coordinator in 2009, he blossomed.

As a junior, he caught 45 passes for 801 yards and six touchdowns. As a senior, he tied the school record with
13 TD catches as part of a 72-reception, 1,156-yard campaign that helped him become a third round pick of
the Washington Redskins.

A series of injuries conspired to limit his professional career to five years. He had stayed in touch with Whipple
during his time in the NFL and reached out when it ended.

“He’s been great. He’s always been smart. He loves the game. We always talked in the offseason,” Whipple said.
“He’s a guy that cared and had leadership abilities. You could always count on him and always trust him. We have
some young guys. With his experience and having played, he’s a great addition. It’s really good situation for those guys.”

Hankerson said starting his career with Whipple made the transition that much easier.

“He knows me. I know him well,” he said. “I had a great two years under Coach Whip. We loved him at (Miami).
That’s why I’m here now.”

Having played in the NFL, Hankerson is a living embodiment of what most of the UMass receivers want for their
own futures. So when he offers instruction, they’ve been attentive.

“He played five years in the league. He’s an inspiration to us,” sophomore Sadiq Palmer said. “He’s taught us a
lot of his moves and things to get us better. We need him. It’s helped a lot.”

Junior Andy Isabella agreed.

“Everybody listens when he’s talking,” he said. “He’s third-roundgreat to have around. He’s brought a lot of
energy to us. He’s doing a great job.”

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back