Lame *****in. A class act.

Cane Dynasty

Thunderdome Survivor
......suddenly FAU went silent on Charles, the versatile defensive back/running back who was instrumental in getting the Panthers to this past season’s Class 8A state title game.

The silence ended last week. Charles had feared the worst when he was met with nothing but voicemails during his attempts to contact members of the coaching staff. Then he finally connected with Kiffin’s brother and new FAU defensive coordinator Chris Kiffin on Twitter last week.

“He actually had reached out to me. He followed me on Twitter, so I followed him back and then he hit me up on DM, saying, “Hey D.J., what’s up?” … and then he asked me, “Why did I decommit from FAU.”

Charles never decommitted and whether it was all a ruse to give FAU leverage to pull his scholarship, we’ll possibly never know, but that’s how it was presented to Charles.

“I said, ‘I never posted anything saying I decommitted from FAU,’ and I told him, ‘I was just wondering why I hadn’t heard from anybody since the new coaching staff came in,’” Charles said. “And then he said he’d have to get with Coach Kiffin [the head coach] and have him watch my film and he’d get back to me soon. A couple days later I asked him [on Twitter] if there was any update, and he was like, ‘Let me find out today.’ So I guess he never got with Coach Kiffin and it was left at that.”

Lane Kiffin latest coach to pull scholarship from committed player - Orlando Sentinel

Advertisement
That's absolute scumbag level operating right there...

If you don't want the kid, just tell him straight up that you're moving in a different direction & wish him well on his future.

No need to string the kid along & bull**** with him like he's a debt collector looking for money you owe.

......suddenly FAU went silent on Charles, the versatile defensive back/running back who was instrumental in getting the Panthers to this past season’s Class 8A state title game.

The silence ended last week. Charles had feared the worst when he was met with nothing but voicemails during his attempts to contact members of the coaching staff. Then he finally connected with Kiffin’s brother and new FAU defensive coordinator Chris Kiffin on Twitter last week.

“He actually had reached out to me. He followed me on Twitter, so I followed him back and then he hit me up on DM, saying, “Hey D.J., what’s up?” … and then he asked me, “Why did I decommit from FAU.”

Charles never decommitted and whether it was all a ruse to give FAU leverage to pull his scholarship, we’ll possibly never know, but that’s how it was presented to Charles.

“I said, ‘I never posted anything saying I decommitted from FAU,’ and I told him, ‘I was just wondering why I hadn’t heard from anybody since the new coaching staff came in,’” Charles said. “And then he said he’d have to get with Coach Kiffin [the head coach] and have him watch my film and he’d get back to me soon. A couple days later I asked him [on Twitter] if there was any update, and he was like, ‘Let me find out today.’ So I guess he never got with Coach Kiffin and it was left at that.”

Lane Kiffin latest coach to pull scholarship from committed player - Orlando Sentinel

Low class on Kiffin's part, not surprised.

Advertisement
So Dingle wasn't hearing from us, eventually decommited, and....?

I personally think you should always be straight up with whatever recruit, but sometimes they get lost in the shuffle or forgotten about. It isn't nice, but I've seen ever school phase out recruits.

He's not the first coach to take over a program and dump the old coach's recruits. It's happened a lot. A lot of kids have been screwed, left holding the bag.

Of course, some kids want to be released from LOI's when their coach leaves after signing day. I think we got a recruit that way, can't remember who.

Remember how Darren Krein wanted so badly to get out of his scholarship when JJ bailed right after signing day?

His career wasn't hurt by the change.

So Dingle wasn't hearing from us, eventually decommited, and....?

I personally think you should always be straight up with whatever recruit, but sometimes they get lost in the shuffle or forgotten about. It isn't nice, but I've seen ever school phase out recruits.
It's not the same situation as with Dingle... Kiffin was telling the kid he was going to meet with him & that Chris & Lane would look at his film then get back to him, even though they never did or had any intentions to.

They basically lied to him and acted as if he had already decommitted when he had never done so...

When the kid asked them why he hadn't heard from anyone on the staff, that's the perfect opportunity for them to be adults & tell the kid they're looking in a different direction.

They gave him the "I'll pay you back first thing next week" treatment...

Last edited:
Advertisement
Lane Kiffin doesn't plan on being there more than 2 years so he is cleaning spots for impact players now. I wouldn't be surprised if he signed 30 kids an ran off a bunch of current players on the roster. I can kiffin trying to load up with grad transfers as well like Holmes and Truitt which could step into immediate playing time and have Johnson throwing them the ball.

Also FAU has a AJ Trump former UGA running back transfer.

I can see FAU hitting the JUCO's hard also.

They need quality linemen or all that skill will go to waste. They should make a run at OL grad transfers from Michigan David Dawson and Trey Klock from Ga Tech. There a bunch of others out there, they should focus on players from cold climates that would like to spend a year in south florida.

Go Canes

Last edited:
I didn't like the slow play with Dingle, and worry it hurts us with the Ridge. Fortunately, our coaches were silent on him since early in the Fall, so there shouldn't be any confusion on their intentions. Hopefully Cooney manages that.

The way Kiffin and his brother handled this situation is way, way worse. Hope Dr Phillips bans them. .. btw, article says it happened to a commit to FIU, too, which means Butch pulled the same dirty trick. Ugly business. What goes around comes around.

Advertisement
Lane Kiffin doesn't plan on being there more than 2 years so he is cleaning spots for impact players now. I wouldn't be surprised if he signed 30 kids an ran off a bunch of current players on the roster. I can kiffin trying to load up with grad transfers as well like Holmes and Truitt which could step into immediate playing time and have Johnson throwing them the ball.

Also FAU has a AJ Trump former UGA running back transfer.

I can see FAU hitting the JUCO's hard also.

They need quality linemen or all that skill will go to waste. They should make a run at OL grad transfers from Michigan David Dawson and Trey Klock from Ga Tech. There a bunch of others out there, they should focus on players from cold climates that would like to spend a year in south florida.

Go Canes

Go Canes

Respectfully, Paranos, your post sounds like a Kiffin lovefest and has nothing to do with the point the OP was making.

Kiffin >>>>> Butch

I didn't like the slow play with Dingle, and worry it hurts us with the Ridge. Fortunately, our coaches were silent on him since early in the Fall, so there shouldn't be any confusion on their intentions. Hopefully Cooney manages that.

The way Kiffin and his brother handled this situation is way, way worse. Hope Dr Phillips bans them. .. btw, article says it happened to a commit to FIU, too, which means Butch pulled the same dirty trick. Ugly business. What goes around comes around.

When you assume things without bothering to check the facts first it makes you look silly.
This article is from December 15th.

"I was just glad he gave me a call last night and let me know what was going on and that they were going in a different direction," Francis said. "I respect that he gave me a call early instead of late. Most coaches , they don't even call you. I'm just glad I got that out of the way."

Jones head coach Elijah Williams echoed Francis's thoughts.

"I was real pleased with Butch Davis. A head coach doesn't have to do that," Williams said. "He called and told me first and he said, 'Our style of what we're going to run is not quite going to be in synch to [Jones style],' ... A lot of coaches don't do that."

Calvin Francis decommits FIU after chat with Butch Davis - Orlando Sentinel

Butch Davis is a Football God.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Good call, Dynasty, you're right I didn't see that. ... Paranos, why Kiffin is dropping kids isn't in question. It's how he is dropping them that is so troubling.

Kiffin may have found his powder connection already. He may flame out before trump does at President which is saying A LOT!

FAU has a lot of money, and they are under no illusions about LK. They expect him to stay 1 or 2 years, and their hope is that he leaves enough talent that they can then hire a bigger coach than they have been able to in the past.

Advertisement
Back