Kirkland Touches Base

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
Offensive Line is one of Miami’s needs in this year’s class and Booker T. Washington’s Denver Kirkland is the top target remaining at that position. He helped his team defeat Northwestern 32-6 last night at Traz Powell Stadium.

“Both teams came out and played good, played a great game. Miami Northwestern is a great team and the team that wanted it the most came out on top.”

Even though the season just began, Kirkland still has not made a decision of where he will be playing next season.

“The recruiting process is going good. I’m just sticking my head everywhere to see what I like.”

He was down in Coral Gables for Rising Senior Day a few weeks ago.

“It was a good experience. I had been to Miami before for one of their scrimmages, but it seemed more intense this year. They were just getting after it.”

Miami Offensive Line coach Art Kehoe is somebody that Kirkland is familiar with.

“Coach Kehoe, we got a good relationship. We’ll be on the phone and stuff like that. The main thing he tells me is just to get me down there and spend more time with the coaches."

Him and highly touted teammate Matthew Thomas have talked about paying together at the same school.

“Oh yeah, it is what it is. Whatever decision me and Matthew make, we wanna go to the same school and dominate.”

While Miami is the hometown school, Kirkland won’t be basing his decision off of that.

“I don’t wanna have to stay home in Miami for school, but if I have to then it is what it is.”

Kirkland says that the other schools he is considering include USC, Florida State, Florida, and South Florida.

Advertisement
So Basically we won't be getting him or Thomas considering he just said he didn't wanna stay here. And he said they plan on going to the same school

Advertisement
Not sure how any of what he said translates to him being a Miami lean but I guess you can't be rational and understand the recruiting game. Considering Pete is barely out of high school himself he shares the intellectual pre-pubicism that these players do I guess.

Out of the four prospects we're looking at from BTW, I'll be disappointed if we don't get three of them if all four end up with an offer. I'm confident Al will put in the work to make it happen.

I hope he realizes just how important he is to this class and the program. Many times, an OL can't see his real relevance unless they're set to "step right into an open position." Kirkland might not start as a true Frosh, but he's essential beyond that, and it needs to be effectively communicated with him.

Advertisement
Thanks Peter great job!

Offensive Line is one of Miami’s needs in this year’s class and Booker T. Washington’s Denver Kirkland is the top target remaining at that position. He helped his team defeat Northwestern 32-6 last night at Traz Powell Stadium.

“Both teams came out and played good, played a great game. Miami Northwestern is a great team and the team that wanted it the most came out on top.”

Even though the season just began, Kirkland still has not made a decision of where he will be playing next season.

“The recruiting process is going good. I’m just sticking my head everywhere to see what I like.”

He was down in Coral Gables for Rising Senior Day a few weeks ago.

“It was a good experience. I had been to Miami before for one of their scrimmages, but it seemed more intense this year. They were just getting after it.”

Miami Offensive Line coach Art Kehoe is somebody that Kirkland is familiar with.

“Coach Kehoe, we got a good relationship. We’ll be on the phone and stuff like that. The main thing he tells me is just to get me down there and spend more time with the coaches."

Him and highly touted teammate Matthew Thomas have talked about paying together at the same school.

“Oh yeah, it is what it is. Whatever decision me and Matthew make, we wanna go to the same school and dominate.”

While Miami is the hometown school, Kirkland won’t be basing his decision off of that.

“I don’t wanna have to stay home in Miami for school, but if I have to then it is what it is.”

Kirkland says that the other schools he is considering include USC, Florida State, Florida, and South Florida.

Advertisement
Some of you are taking the "I don't want to have to" a little to serious

lol. Exactly.

He never said he "doesnt want to stay". He said he "doesnt want to have to stay". In other words, he doesn't want to be forced into staying if he doesnt want to, which means he wants to see what else is out there and be able to leave the state if he wants. He is probably getting pressure from family/friends to stay home.

Advertisement
Some of you are taking the "I don't want to have to" a little to serious

lol. Exactly.

He never said he "doesnt want to stay". He said he "doesnt want to have to stay". In other words, he doesn't want to be forced into staying if he doesnt want to, which means he wants to see what else is out there and be able to leave the state if he wants. He is probably getting pressure from family/friends to stay home.

+1

Kirkland can see Erick Flowers getting the start already.

Kirkland + Flowers = Bookends of the future.

You can't worry about every little word these kids say. They're not the President.

I hope he realizes just how important he is to this class and the program. Many times, an OL can't see his real relevance unless they're set to "step right into an open position." Kirkland might not start as a true Frosh, but he's essential beyond that, and it needs to be effectively communicated with him.

At this point last year, outside of a handful of guys (yours truly included), no one thought Ereck Flowers was going to be so highly regarded, nevermind a starter going into the BC game.

Personally...I think Kirkland is more of a guard and needs some work, but we'll see what happens with him. I liked Isidora more at this point of their careers..but I am intrigued to see how Kirkland plays out his senior year.

Advertisement
Back