Kevin Olsen gets Elite 11 finals invite

CaneCounty

Senior
NEW YORK -- The New York City Elite 11 regional at Randall's Island Park was a hotly contested event with 60 quarterbacks searching for an invitation to the Elite 11 finals this July in California.

And it was Wayne Hills (Wayne, N.J.) junior signal-caller Kevin Olsen who came away with MVP honors and a ticket to the finals.

Olsen, rated the nation's No. 7 pocket passer and the No. 77 overall recruit in the ESPN 150, entered the week with offers from top collegiate programs such as Wisconsin, South Carolina, Miami and Auburn. But the MVP award at Saturday's event will certainly help to raise his profile.

Olsen is the younger brother of Carolina Panthers tight end Greg Olsen. His older brother, Christian, was a quarterback at Virginia.

"It was a great chance for me to come out here and compete with some of the country's best quarterbacks," Olsen said. "That's what the quarterback position is about -- competing. I think I did OK, there are a few throws I wish I could have back, but I'm excited to go out [to California] and compete with the best of the best."

Olsen completed 124-of-205 passes (60.5 percent) this past fall for 1,686 yards and 20 touchdowns with only six interceptions. Wayne won a second consecutive North 1, Group 3 title.

Among the quarterbacks Olsen beat out for top honors were Connor Mitch of Wakefield (Raleigh, N.C.), Shane ****erille of Gilman (Baltimore), Brogan Roback of St. John's (Toledo, Ohio), Jeff Farrah of Monmouth (Tinton Falls, N.J.) and Tim Brady of Friendship Collegiate (Washington, D.C.).

Advertisement
ArmclobCMAAvor1.jpg

Advertisement
Family is one reason why many have pegged Olsen as a Miami lean because the program is not only one of his finalists but because older brother Greg was a star tight end for the Hurricanes before heading to the NFL. While the familiarity with staff and campus undoubtedly give the program a leg up for the quarterback's services, the youngest Olsen is just trying to keep an open mind about all of his schools.

"Obviously Miami is a little closer to me than the other schools are but it doesn't really play a big role," he said. "It's not really going to effect my decision much. I really like Coach (Jedd) Fisch and really, really like Coach (Al) Golden and had prior relationship with him because of when my brother Chris played there. I really think they have the program going in a great direction."

Things are a little bit different in Coral Gables from when Olsen's brother was catching passes a few years ago, most notably because of the looming NCAA sanctions that will stem from the Nevin Shapiro investigation. School officials took a one year bowl ban in 2011 to help stave off the worst and the highly regarded quarterback is at ease with what might happen in the future.

"I've talked to them about it and they've told me this is what is going to happen and we're going to go from there," Olsen said. "They said there shouldn't be much more (sanctions), everybody knows they took a self-imposed bowl ban last year. I guess they're hoping that it's just a couple of scholarships and that will be it."

The number five quarterback in 2013 according to Maxpreps visited Wisconsin last week for what is almost certainly his final unofficial visit before making a commitment. The Badgers are on the shortlist for Olsen and running high in the pecking order after getting to know the program better.

"It was great. I didn't really know a lot about them before coming out," he said. "I got a chance to meet with coach (Bielema) and coach (Matt) Canada, I really enjoyed my visit there. Wisconsin has a great type of offense there, they really develop guys. They're a true pro-style, run the ball first and throw it second type of offense. To be an elite team in college football you need to have some type of run game so you can do play action, deep balls and stuff like that."

South Carolina and Auburn are also getting strong consideration from Olsen to round out his top four. The Gamecocks are able to offer something unique and have certainly pitched him on playing for a former Heisman winning quarterback and national championship coach.

"Obviously being a quarterback under Steve Spurrier would be a great experience and is something not a lot of people get to go through," Olsen said. "They have great talent period and they have a great talent at running back in Marcus Lattimore. They also have great talent at wide receiver and a great defense. And they play in one of the best leagues in the country."

With Elite 11 MVP in his pocket and a trip to California on the docket, all Olsen has to do the next few months is focus on school work and finally pull the trigger on a commitment. The date isn't set yet but it is something the quarterback is looking to get things over with very soon.

"I would be shocked if it went far into the summer," he said. "I think that by the time my school ends, sometimes in June, it will probably be decided by then."

Advertisement
Advertisement
We get Olsen, we good.

Olsen and more quality recruits in 2013 and 2014, and we'll be like a sore dik.

Hard to beat.

Advertisement
Bakas posted in his recruiting scoop that he is hearing a decision from Olsen could come as early as next week.

Also a few people had mentioned this but according to Mike, Olsen is the only QB with a legit offer that he knows of.

Advertisement
Back