K9Cane's Korner - The Slow Bleed in Lincoln...

View as article

k9cane

Senior
343 yards rushing. Yeah, read that again, that's what I'll take away from my otherwise enjoyable trip to Omaha/Lincoln, Nebraska this past weekend where I saw the Hurricanes get emasculated, molly-whopped, taken to the woodshed, beaten to a pulp( you an add your own description here, I'm sure some of you will be much more graphic than I was). But on a weekend where the Nebraska Cornhuskers celebrated the 20th year anniversary of their 1994 title team - which ironically beat UM for the championship - it seemed as though they were paying homage to the likes of Tommie Frazier and Lawrence Phillips by rag-dolling the Miami defense for the better part of sixty minutes.

343 rushing yards.

Just think about that. Most teams would love to pass for that amount. Nebraska did that on the ground and they weren't even tricky about it. This was just line'em up, and give the ball to Ameer Abdullah or have Tommy Armstrong keep the ball and just keep gashing Miami over and over for huge chunks, taking valuable time off the clock and Brad Kaaya and his cohorts off the field for seemingly quarters at a time. Nebraska and Miami both knew what was coming - and the 'Canes could do nothing to stop it. It was like having a knife stuck in you deeper and deeper. A slow bleed if there ever was one.

There's no justifying this performance, it's horrendous and it proved that the early season statistics of the supposedly improved Miami defense was nothing more than a mirage( like a parched man in the desert who has visions of a jug of Aqua Fina) and the product of playing teams that you're supposed to man-handle and pad the stats. Against a legitimate ( but one-dimensional offense) they got body punched into submission.

Nebraska made Dr. Tom Osborne proud on this night, they passed just 13 times( for 113 yards) and ran 54 times. They made their intentions clear and the players and defensive staff( led by the much maligned Mark D'onofrio) could do nothing about it.

343 yards....

Some other random thoughts from the game, much of which I'm sure has already been echoed on this fine forum. I got in this morning and had to take care of some other personal matters and my day gig( talking about boxing for UCNLive.com) and I haven't had a chance to re-watch this massacre yet. OK, seriously, should I even put my self through that agony, I mean, watching it live at Memorial Stadium was enough, right? But here goes...

- OK, not only did Miami get consistently knocked off the ball but our ends seems to have a terrible time in either holding the edge( especially Tyriq McCord, who seemed to get engulfed as he engaged blockers on the line of scrimmage) or keeping contain as Nebraska went with the read option. It seemed that Chick was having a really tough time in that department. And it didn't seem like Denzel Perryman was in on many plays, which signals huge problems for UM defensively. But it was maddening to see Abdullah turning the corner like Usain Bolt in the 200 meters as Miami's set soft edges defensively, time and time again.

- The secondary is/was a mess. Artie Burns for all his athleticism is heading towards Nick Ward-ville, in other words, a premiere athlete but not a very good football player. He gave up a key 3rd and 11 to Kenny Bell that extended a TD drive for the Huskers. When Miami can't get off the field in these situations versus the Huskers, you know they were in trouble. Also, safety play was bad, run support looked weak and tackling was awful across the board. Yeah, Abdullah is good but once again tackling in space was below par.

Another thing, one of the guys I was sitting with coaches high school football and is a knowledgeable guy. He kept mentioning how Miami's safeties were slow to align( actually the D in general) and I noticed more than once that the times NU went trips on certain occasions, that Miami would have only two defenders to that side. Again, I'm not Bud Carson, but can someone like the likes of Lu, DMoney, or Dynasty explain if my slanted eyes deceive me? And yeah, I saw linebackers covering WR's in the slot. On the Huskers first TD to Bell, UM ran a blitz, and he ran unimpeded down the seam where there was no safety help in sight( in fact, he was essentially uncovered as Miami was out-manned on that side of the formation. I could see it developing right in front of me as I was sitting in that end zone)

But I'll admit, I thought UM would be upgraded at safety this season season with the likes of Dallas Crawford, Deon Bush and Jamal Carter. Quite frankly, they have been a huge disappointment. Forget getting Ed Reed type of play, I'm pining for the likes of Casey Greer and Terris Harris, who were solid and dependable guys.

- Each time Miami had the lead at 7-0 and 14-7, the Miami defense gave up long TD drives. That not only tied the game but kept our offense on the sideline. That's the maddening thing, Miami had to play from ahead and make Armstrong throw the ball and each time our defense couldn't hold serve. It took away all the momentum the offense had gained and also kept them off the field. It was demoralizing on many fronts.

- Brad Kaaya, what more needs to be said. I think the only negative is that, again, he threw multiple picks. The first one was really a nice play by the NU linebacker, who showed more ball skills than our corners, so that's forgivable. The second one was head-scratching and it seemed like he had pre-determined on 4th and 4 that he was throwing the quick out to Malcolm Lewis. Braxton Berrios looked like he was wide open down the seam on that play. Regardless, this kid has 'it'. I'm willing to live with freshman mistakes and growing pains. I don't want to hear any talk of Ryan Williams and Jake 'From State Farm' Heaps getting any real burn this season. There's no future in those guys, if Kaaya's healthy, he is our starter, now in the present and in the future.

From our seats, you can really tell he sees the field very well and he's the best passer we've had attacking the middle of the field since one Ken Dorsey. He's a lot like ol' #11 except I think he has a higher physical ceiling. DMoney mentioned this to me, but at this pace he's on pace to break a lot of freshman and team records in 2014. We have something here, I firmly believe that.

The best thing about this young man, well, after the game as the players went onto the bus, it seemed to me that he and Berrios were the most bothered by the loss. The other guys, uhhh, well.... lets leave it at that....

- Berrios is as advertised, he is our Wes Welker. Yeah, he had a key 3rd down drop, but again, I'll ride with this guy. He's a fiery competitor that will be extremely productive. He's already getting as many snaps as the upperclassmen at WR. By the way, Stacy Coley, Im puzzled by how Miami is using him. Not once this year have they gone up-field with him. Perhaps it's his injury but all night long NU was bracketing Phil Dorsett and kept him from being a major factor for much of the game and Coley was basically a non-factor. Clive Walford continues his solid play, Kaaya and him have a real nice chemistry.

- Despite the loss, I think James Coley called a very good game, for the most part( although, I thought running bubble screens deep into the 4th down big was a waste of downs and time) but I'll say it again, my opinion is that Miami's better off going 3, 4 and 5 wide, shotgun and going a bit of up-tempo and letting Kaaya do his thing. For the first time, I saw a real utilization of Duke Johnson in the passing game( early crossing pattern and later on a wheel route out of the backfield) and I hope this continues. And here's the reality: our Oline simply isn't very good at run blocking from under center in traditional sets. Seriously, they're kinda bad and Duke has to do some special things just to carve out 3 yards most of the time. Yeah, Art Kehoe, I don't know what to really say at this point. This line is below average at the point of attack and doesn't seem to play with much leverage or explosion.

But from the spread sets, at least they create lanes just by formations and getting defenders out of the box and letting Duke find space. There has to be a realization that Miami's defense will struggle( again) and the philosophy should be to try and score 50 every game( I'm being dead serious) and put away any pre-conceived notions - and this is on Golden - about what the identity of this particular team should be. Don't wanna be redundant, but let Kaaya be Kaaya and live with his mistakes for the time being.

- Speaking of Duke, I'm not absolving him off that disastrous fumble when they had the ball in NU territory and had the Huskers on their heels( Gregory, was flat out gassed too, was the last guy to line up) at 24-21. Flat out, as a junior and a guy who's that good, that can't happen. However, I get the sense that instead of losing 41-31 as they did, Miami would have just lost 48-45 because the reality is that they forced what, one punt and recovered a fumble. In other words, they weren't stopping Nebraska on this night. But that fumble was an absolute killer. Miami's offense needed to be perfect on this night because the defense was so bad, unfortunately, they weren't.

- Gus Edwards, yeah, he's big and that's about it. I think he's a liability, he takes too long to get started on most runs and his whiff of a block on Gregory essentially killed UM's last chance at really making this a game inside the red zone to begin the 4th quarter. Maybe I'm being harsh but I just don't see it from him.

- And yeah, I don't know if the seat is hot for one Alfred James Golden but four years in, I expected better. We all saw the ESPN GameDay stat, Miami is now 1-17 in it's last 18 games away from home versus ranked opponents. That isn't all on Golden, but a good bulk of it has come under his watch. And this from Jorge Milian on Twitter: Golden's teams are 3-7 vs Top 25 teams four games into his fourth season, which just happens to be the same as.... Randy Shannon.

The bad part is I peruse the upcoming schedule, do you see an absolute,'Bet-your-life-on-the-Canes' game the rest of the season? I'm being dead serious, as you look at the upcoming game, where is that guaranteed Miami victory? And this may sound like blasphemy, but I think Duke is a 50-50 game even on UM's home field.

Who knows if Golden has lost the faith of the administration and the Board of Trustees, but this much is clear from being at the game and talking to some Miami die-hards who made the trip, he's lost the fans.

And quite frankly, can you blame them?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Other than being a little harsh on Gus who is still just a sophomore I agree with your sentiments. Its become pretty clear that it doesnt take much in the way of offensive game planning to out think Donofrio and Golden.The last two national games featured color commentators mentioning how poor conceptually our defense was. Frankly they have been lost since the first game they coached here at Maryland. Unless the have an epiphany our defense will force us to outscore everyone we play in an offensive slugfest. Thats hard to do.

This is all spot on. I don't get who these people are saying "our D is improved," but I knew better until they could show better. The O played very well over all, especially Kaaya, but when you can't stop the run all night, bad things happen. And despite the fact we got chippy, which I liked, NU was clearly the more physical team.

Golden, sadly, is on no hot seat of any sort. He's signed through 2019. The scheme on D is, and has proven to be, a complete disaster. We are still saying things like "guys didn't wrap up" and "we didn't execute." I have no idea how that's still a problem four years in. Been saying since last season, the administration will force Golden to get rid of D'Onofrio at the end of the season, and Golden will get one more year to step up and step up big. It won't matter though because Golden will continue to run the same scheme on D (which he has noted in the past is what he wants to run). Hopefully he can continue to recruit well, but guy can't coach. Maybe Mark Stoops will be looking to move up around then.

Our defense is hideous. If Golden wants to keep his job he has to bring in someone that can re-vamp the whole thing. It's either that or he needs to be gone and a whole new staff needs to take over.

Advertisement
A couple thoughts on your post:

I think your title is perfect. What was so depressing about their offense/our defense was that it really was a relatively slow gashing. Abdullah's longest run was 26 yds, so he got his 225 yds mostly through runs of 7-15 yds at a time. Nebraska was almost always ahead of schedule, since it seemed like they got at least 3 (and usually 5+) yds on every first down.

To that point, it's amazing to me how we didn't have one single TFL in the game. This passive, hold the gap scheme is just brutal to watch. It seemed like on most runs, AA had 7 yards before we had anyone even touch him. So frequently, Nebraska's OTs or TEs easily sealed our DE/LB, or we were just outflanked as a result of our alignment, allowing Abdullah huge running lanes outside the tackles. Along those lines, this was probably the least disruptive game I can remember from a Miami D. Not only did our DL not make any plays in the backfield, but our linebackers weren't shooting through gaps to blow up plays, and it seemed like they were always chasing. Perryman had the quietest game he's had in a while. And our secondary has to be the most disappointing part of our D.

A unit that is probably the most talented unit on the team (maybe WR), with the experience we have, is non-existent. Other than Bush's hit and Howard's pick of a terrible throw, those guys were invisible. When is the last time our secondary jumped a route and made a play, even if it was just a pass deflected. Our secondary always seems to be out of position or unaware of the flight of the ball. It boggles my mind that with the talent we have in the secondary that the unit can look so poor.

At the half, when Nebraska had 175 rushing yards, I told my friend that if they got to 300, we were doomed. They had that I think by the end of the 3rd quarter. You can't expect to go on the road in a hostile environment and give up 350 yards to a team that is a clear run first team and expect to win. To me, what makes this worse than having GT run over us a few years ago is that this Nebraska read option offense isn't a unique gimmick that only a few teams run. This is a staple of college football, and we knew they were going to run it over and over, and we did nothing to try and disrupt their gameplan.

It was a great place to see a game and the fans were bizarrely friendly, but ultimately, I didn't want to go to Lincoln to watch another in the series of embarrassing defensive performances. We got rolled by a Nebraska team that has a great RB, an average but athletic QB, a couple okay WRs, and one DE that was an impact player. Otherwise, they are not some great team. However, as usual, we managed to make another offense look like a juggernaut. Something has to change.

props...great write up and on point. Golden needs to go. Simple. If he loses to duke and compiles the same (although I think it will be worse) record as Randy his 4th year, he gotta go. thanks for hanging around during the NCAA thing. If anything that may buy him 1 extra year...MAY. But if he loses 7/8 games...he gotta be gone

good writeup

the part about Artie Burns being a **** of an athlete, but a non-impact football player is interesting. Sort of reminds me of another speedster who looked absolutely out of his element playing corner for the U a few years ago...and is now an NFL starter.

Advertisement
K9
How do you feel about a mayweather vs. golovkin fight.. I love this new kid.. Mayweather maybe too small for him.

I was going to post something as succulent, complete with gifs, wit, and sarcasm in full bore.

But i've been fly fishing in the middle of the Rockies, and only watched enough of the game (from across a bar no less) to get the general gist of things, and the gist is as such:

At one point in time, Golden may have had a chance to right this ship, but now he will go down with it.

Bravo, 9er. Excellent piece..great job....

Comment.....

The defense: I said before the season stated that the defense would ultimately determine Golden and D's fate here at Miami. It's been evident since the first game of the 2011 season that there were serious questions about how these guys constructed and implemented their version of a multiple defense. When breaking this system down to it's core, the front seven just isn't disruptive. We react to any and everything.

I miss our roots...I miss our 40 fronts...I miss our coverages...

- agree about the safeties. I don't think we're fast at the position. I think I remember someone posting here that our fastest safety timed at 4.6ish?

- our corners from cover-2 aren't very good at being force players.

-when you play basically 3 DTs and still get your teeth knocked out verses the run, well, then something needs to be changed.

-I don't know how D no operates "quarters" coverage, but squat the entire secondary at 8-10 yards and declare. Manipulate the box with 8-9 players. ****, playside flow automatically turns it into an eight man front.

Advertisement
props...great write up and on point. Golden needs to go. Simple. If he loses to duke and compiles the same (although I think it will be worse) record as Randy his 4th year, he gotta go. thanks for hanging around during the NCAA thing. If anything that may buy him 1 extra year...MAY. But if he loses 7/8 games...he gotta be gone

To be honest, he earned some time during the NCAA "cloud" thing. But once the PSU fiasco event occurred, that good will went straight to the *******.

Besides the Arkansas State game, our 3 most talented wrs Coley, Dorsett, and Herb are constantly misused. In herbs case, he isn't even used. I feel like stacy coley doesn't even run routes. Only comes in to catch wr screen passes that go for 3 yards.

Besides that one horrific play by Clive he looked good

I said this after his freshman year gus Edwards should have no business taking snaps. He will be our fourth or fifth best back next year depending on if Williams sticks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement

Comment.....

The defense: I said before the season stated that the defense would ultimately determine Golden and D's fate here at Miami. It's been evident since the first game of the 2011 season that there were serious questions about how these guys constructed and implemented their version of a multiple defense. When breaking this system down to it's core, the front seven just isn't disruptive. We react to any and everything.

- agree about the safeties. I don't think we're fast at the position. I think I remember someone posting here that our fastest safety timed at 4.6ish?

-when you play basically 3 DTs and still get your teeth knocked out verses the run, well, then something needs to be changed.

-I don't know how D no operates "quarters" coverage, but squat the entire secondary at 8-10 yards and declare. Manipulate the box with 8-9 players. ****, playside flow automatically turns it into an eight man front.

We are taking high level athletes like Artie burns and turning them into Lord knows what. The Artie burns I saw in high school did a few things he's never done here. Played aggressive. Played instinctual. Played fast. He looks completely lost out there. I have 0 doubt in my mind if he was at LSU, Bama, or FSU he would be a stud safety for one of those teams.

These coaches are robbing the university and robbing these student athletes.

Comment.....

Where have you gone Sony Lubick?!?!

But Dynasty, once again, you proved who we thought you were( slams first on table)...

Crown you....

It's embarrassing, but the university painted itself into a corner when they hand out multi-year extensions like candy to someone who doesn't deserve it. Will they have the stomach to fire him and pay him off to go away? I just don't see it, sadly, until we get crowds of 5-10k at Son Life.

And believe me, those days are coming.

The 5 to 10k are coming I will not renew if Doritos is back. This defensive philosophy has been played for 4 years and nothing has changed. They are getting 4 and 5 star recruites and they are becoming JAGs. It is year 4 guys not year one where one can say we need more time. Answer me this, if DORITOS was fired, what school would hire him as DC. That tells you if the man can coach.

Advertisement
Back