K9Cane's Korner - Buzzed

View as article

k9cane

Senior
The realization hit me early in the 3rd quarter of last nights depressing loss by the Miami Hurricanes to Georgia Tech that they simply weren't going to stop Paul Johnson's option attack as they methodically came out and marched down the field to go ahead 21-14.( The game was tied at 14 at the half). The most overrated statistic in football for years - and especially now - is 'time of possession' but last night it was THE stat of the game and it said it all. Miami had the ball for just over 19 minutes, Tech was on offense for nearly 41. Miami wanted to play a quick tempo and started off well but as the defense couldn't get off the field, it looked like a Ferrari that was stuck in mud.

Once again, a one-dimensional attack was able to squeeze the life out of the Hurricanes. The total yards were about equal( 371 to 352 in favor of Tech) but with their style of offense and their tempo, it's more pronounced. Everyone knew what was coming and once again Mark D'onofrio and his unit were powerless( some would say, clueless) to stop it. GaTech threw all of seven times last night.

Here's a tweet from Tim Reynolds(@TimReynolds) that is about as damning as you can get:

"Canes have given up 300 rushing yards four times in last 15 games. That happened four times in 135 games before that." Now, beyond that, just remember this, this comes in an era where most teams throw the ball much more than they run.

Where the game really ended for me was when it was 21-17 early in the 4th and the Yellow Jackets were faced with a 3rd down and 15th, which is precisely the situation an offense like this struggles so badly. Well, in this case, Patrick Thomas floated a pass down the sideline for a big gain and a first down conversion. At this point, I knew the Canes were cooked. A few plays later the score was 28-17 and that was that.

What a sad, depressing and honestly, boring ball game. Miami is now 3-3 with two conference losses. This season is becoming a disaster, no other way to say it. Al Golden has shepherded Miami through a myriad of issues but in year four of his regime you expect a much better product than what's being put on the field. The fans are angry and former players seem irate.

Can you blame them?

- Anyone remember 1998 when Miami's defense collapsed late in the season against the Cuse, UCLA and then NCState in the bowl game? Butch Davis, who was steadily building back the UM program, released coordinator Bill Miller and brought in a young, passionate assistant by the name of Greg Schiano. I'm sure Davis didn't want to fire anybody( in fact, as I think back on his run as the head coach, I don't recall him firing any other assistant coaches) but he did what he felt had to be done to advance this program.

The question is, will Golden do the same as it relates to a defensive coordinator that just happens to be his best friend? ( And yes, I realize that the problems go much deeper than one assistant). It's become unbearable to listen to some of the post-game press conferences where Golden seems to deflect every problem the defense has and blame other facets of the team when it's clear that the biggest problems with this team lie squarely on this side of the ball.

And for those who will say there is a lack of talent. No argument, this isn't the 2001 squad, but even defensively, go ahead and grab a copy of this current depth chart and look back on it in a few years. This unit will have more than it's fair share of guy in the NFL in the next few years. I'm sure Luther Robinson agrees.

- Bright side on defense was one Chad Thomas. This kid flashed and he showed why he was so highly regarded. I really hope he gets consistent snaps the rest of the year. He's had back spasms but if he's healthy, it will be hard to keep this tall, rangy guy off the field. Thomas just looks like a natural disruptor upfront

- Another game, another special teams blunder. And this time in the form of the fake punt that kept a Tech drive alive( and therefore, another six, seven minutes of game clock that goes with it that kept our offense on the sideline). And who's the special teams coach for Miami?

- I thought the reshuffled O-line did a pretty decent job last night till a few late sacks of Brad Kaaya. But I wonder if James Coley should've just keep feeding Duke Johnson a bit more. Duke, looked really good last night despite a slight ankle ailment( 14 carries for 100 yards and a touchdown). But again, it's hard to do anything offensively if you're on the sideline for seemingly a half-hour at a time. I do think Coley is showing some growth as a play-caller.

- Speaking of which, I like some of the facets and wrinkles Coley has shown offensively in recent weeks. But regardless of whatever they do, the philosophy has to be this: score every time you get the ball and try and get to at least 40 because this defense is bad. It is, what it is. They are under a ton of pressure to basically play perfect games against decent teams.

- Stacy Coley looked more like himself on a few kick returns but did he play at all, offensively? Unless this is an injury situation, this is very puzzling. D'mauri Jones had more targets than he did versus GaTech.

- Kaaya looked really good at times but once again had two picks. Going into the second half of the season this will have to be a point of emphasis. Regardless, I love this kids future. Honestly, as this season has gone downhill, watching Kaaya is about the only thing that really gets me excited about Miami football in 2014( yeah, I'll admit it, one of my life's great joys has been reduced to this).

- Now onto Cincy where Im sure hundreds of Miami die-hards will be in attendance for a noon game at Sun Life Stadium. If that doesn't get the attention of the Miami administration, nothing will.

And that's all, quite frankly, I can't believe I got this much after that garbage this weekend.

Advertisement
I just feel bad for Duke, Denzel, Chickillo, etc... For being stuck with this inept coaching staff and pathetically passive defensive scheme.

That said, I don't even get angry anymore, as I fully expect us to lose virtually every game. The only way we pull out victories against even mediocre teams is with a couple turnovers and several unforced errors by the opponent.

Great stuff, k9.

I just feel bad for Duke, Denzel, Chickillo, etc... For being stuck with this inept coaching staff and pathetically passive defensive scheme.

That said, I don't even get angry anymore, as I fully expect us to lose virtually every game. The only way we pull out victories against even mediocre teams is with a couple turnovers and several unforced errors by the opponent.
It's a god**** shame that Duke Johnson, a guy who is going to break the school's all-purpose yards record in just ~2.5 seasons of work, has had to play for a **** heap coaching staff like this.

To summarize...

dorito_qb.gif~original

Advertisement
Great stuff, k9.

It's a god**** shame that Duke Johnson, a guy who is going to break the school's all-purpose yards record in just ~2.5 seasons of work, has had to play for a **** heap coaching staff like this.

the thing about it is..he knows it as well...dude was frustrated a game a go with the b.s. their doing.

These guys have no goal..no real feel or want to be great......golden's goal was dashed when psu passed on him..dude doesnt have any nfl aspirations or any real want.,...hes cool with being an avg guy/coach..its the psu in him....He talks a good game but its too obvious.

New Blood is needed...and ive been a pro golden guy up until now.

Anyone remember 1998 when Miami's defense collapsed late in the season against the Cuse, UCLA and then NCState in the bowl game? Butch Davis, who was steadily building back the UM program, released coordinator Bill Miller and brought in a young, passionate assistant by the name of Greg Schiano. I'm sure Davis didn't want to fire anybody( in fact, as I think back on his run as the head coach, I don't recall him firing any other assistant coaches) but he did what he felt had to be done to advance this program.

The question is, will Golden do the same as it relates to a defensive coordinator that just happens to be his best friend? ( And yes, I realize that the problems go much deeper than one assistant). It's become unbearable to listen to some of the post-game press conferences where Golden seems to deflect every problem the defense has and blame other facets of the team when it's clear that the biggest problems with this team lie squarely on this side of the ball.

its Golden's defense. changing Dorito won't make a difference.

Its been said but it cant be said enough..I feel so bad for these kids. They deserve better. There will be 25k at that game on Sat. And the season is virtually over before it started. We will literally be in a dogfight to be eliglible for a bowl game! Imagine that with all the talent on this team...its really a **** shame.

Anyone remember 1998 when Miami's defense collapsed late in the season against the Cuse, UCLA and then NCState in the bowl game? Butch Davis, who was steadily building back the UM program, released coordinator Bill Miller and brought in a young, passionate assistant by the name of Greg Schiano. I'm sure Davis didn't want to fire anybody( in fact, as I think back on his run as the head coach, I don't recall him firing any other assistant coaches) but he did what he felt had to be done to advance this program.

its Golden's defense. changing Dorito won't make a difference.

No disagreement here. It is Golden defense, absolutely

One other point, I somehow forgot to mention this, but while I think Coley is showing some growth as a play-caller, those shuttle/bubble screens are maddening. That one he called in the redzone on 3rd down was a killer...

Advertisement
Either he fires his butt buddy or he can get the **** out as well.

The fact that he didn't fire him last year ruined golden in my eyes.

Kaaya throws some picks. Most all freshman do, but I feel like he can take us to the promise land with the right defense. Kid has a lot of poise and has looked better as the ol has played better.

He should have fired him after 2012. At this point I'm convinced he's trying to get himself fired. He got passed over for the only job he really wanted, and only came here to set himself up to get it in the first place. Like gogeta said, he's perfectly fine being slightly below/above average record wise so long as he has that extension he got in 2011. He's also a giant ******.

Advertisement

The opportunity to fire a coordinator was last year. That ship has sailed. It's Golden's *** on the line now.

Firing D'onforio serves no purposes. This is Golden's defense. They'll both go down together.

All you fools that say this are dumb as ****.

Golden firing Dorito will be him admitting guilt and acknowledging that HIS scheme doesn't work... You do understand that this is possible right? He can say, "change is needed and I need to bring someone with an aggressive system that will allow this local talent base to succeed"

Advertisement

Firing D'onforio serves no purposes. This is Golden's defense. They'll both go down together.

Golden firing Dorito will be him admitting guilt and acknowledging that HIS scheme doesn't work... You do understand that this is possible right? He can say, "change is needed and I need to bring someone with an aggressive system that will allow this local talent base to succeed"

But PUNCI, while I don't disagree with you in that regard, what are the realistic possibilities of that actually happening?

It wouldn't surprise me in the least for the players to start quitting on this regime....

"Where the game really ended for me was when it was 21-17 early in the 4th and the Yellow Jackets were faced with a 3rd down and 15th, which is precisely the situation an offense like this struggles so badly. Well, in this case, Patrick Thomas floated a pass down the sideline for a big gain and a first down conversion. At this point, I knew the Canes were cooked. A few plays later the score was 28-17 and that was that."

EXACTLY.

This was a slow, helpless death.
A mini Nebraska game all over again.

I started to get excited last week, but I'll have to go back to my post Nebraska prediction of us winning the rest of our home games, except FSU and losing our away games, except for a tight one against UVA.
7-5 and 3rd in the Coastal.

Sad.

But PUNCI, while I don't disagree with you in that regard, what are the realistic possibilities of that actually happening?

It wouldn't surprise me in the least for the players to start quitting on this regime....

I think it's more likely than not, honestly. In the end everyone turns to self preservation.

Advertisement
Back