Jordan Scarlett de-commits from FAU, talks other schools

View as article

Nash Williams

Freshman
On December 27, 2013, St. Thomas Aquinas running back Jordan Scarlett shocked everyone when he pledged his commitment to the Florida Atlantic Owls.

Scarlett had plans to follow his former high school coach, Roger Hariott, who had just accepted the position as FAU's new running backs coach.

However, Scarlett has made the decision to de-commit from the rising Owls program on Friday.

"I just had to sit back and realize that it wasn't the best decision for me," Scarlett said. "Playing running back, I would have had to put the whole team on my back and I wasn't ready to have to carry the whole team on my back. I wasn't up for that challenge."

The six-foot, 215-pound freak of an athlete said he knew it was time to open up his recruitment back up.

"I am going to take a couple of visits in the future and see what I like," said Scarlett.

Scarlett, along with his cousin, 2015 South Plantation linebacker Rodrick Archer, and teammate 2016 wide receiver Sam Bruce all visited the University of Miami on Thursday.

"It was a great visit. I had fun with the coaches of course. For the most part we just talked to the coaches and some of the guys and it was just fun to chat it up with all of them," said Scarlett.

It was the third time in as many months that Scarlett has been on campus that we know of.

Scarlett says that he is now considering South Carolina, Ohio State, Florida State, and Miami.

What will it take for a school to win his services come his newly planned National Signing Day decision?

"First, education is huge to me. Second, how early I can get in and play and if I feel at home like a family atmosphere," said Scarlett.

While Miami does have three running backs already committed in the 2015 class, Scarlett would arguably the best of the bunch if he ended up choosing Miami.

Scarlett has given many indications that he would like to stay in-state to play his college football. However, he plans to visit all four of the schools he is still considering.

Advertisement
Wow everybody thought he was a FAU "Lock"

466.jpg

Education first.... ahh if I had a dollar every time I heard that...

Still like our chances for landing him especially if Dexter decommits

Advertisement
Kid doesn't want to get worn out. That is big plus for us. With the other backs committed he we share carries. But with Duke gone and only Joe in front, all three or four could get PT early. Watching those SEC backs at USCe, UGA, and Bama getting beat up each year might finally be turning the lights on in some kids heads.

Kid doesn't want to get worn out. That is big plus for us. With the other backs committed he we share carries. But with Duke gone and only Joe in front, all three or four could get PT early. Watching those SEC backs at USCe, UGA, and Bama getting beat up each year might finally be turning the lights on in some kids heads.

+1^^^^Let's Hope he wants to team up at Miami, like Georgia RB's seem to be doing

this is what makes me beleive we have him

Scarlett has given many indications that he would like to stay in-state to play his college football.

he has said this so many time. FSU vs UM just like Bruce

FSU will be a threat too but UM has exactly what he would be looking for. Let's be real he'll have the size that NFL teams will look for also and if he goes and shares carries he'll get drafted high so I hope he thinks like that and is smart on where to get the ball but also save his body like young rbs need to do

Advertisement
The staff, like us, probably doesn't believe Williams will stick. He playing too loose for a commitment. Plus these new offenses are more pass oriented, so though still important, the are not "as critical" as they once were. FSU won with just good backs. Heck Oklahoma beat Bama with average backs. Same with Clemson beating Urbies team. Key now is being able to run effectively, being able to control the LOS and timely run calls. RB's don't make or break a class anymore. Of course that's not to say the more really good ones the better. I would giddy if we could land all 3 top SoFl rb's.

Advertisement
STA does not allow handlers for their players, so if he had a handler it has to be immediate family or no one. You have to really like UM's chances in a fair fight for a STA kid.

Go Canes

Advertisement
dexter may be a little better of a prospect, but, i think getting scarlett has further reaching implications in landing a few other top prospects in south florida and at this point, i'm willing to swap dexter for scarlett today.

Bruce deciding soon, Scarlett de-committs the day after Bruce made a statement about committing soon, both coming off visits to UM and are now at a UM friendly school...seems like all the stars are aligning for us. But then again, he's from South Florida so I'm not holding my breath.

If we had to pick, Scarlett or Williams?

I pick Williams over Scarlett but I will pick Scarlett over Cronkrite. This is going to get very interesting very soon. I wish Mark Walton would have stayed as a 2016 kid, if that would have happened I honestly think we could have had a strong chance to land all 4 of these studs.

Advertisement
Back