Joe Brady Interview

AllAboutTheU

Junior
Premium
Clearly we aren't getting this guy as an OC, but this is the type of guy who we need here. This whole interview is pretty good, but these two different responses to questions show to me why this guy is a rising star and a stud. He's not out here thinking he's God's gift to coaching or he knows the only way to do it. Dude is innovative, but simple. Not married to one way of doing things, and willing to adapt to the personnel on the roster. We need someone running the offense with this outlook for sure.
Is there an in-game moment that you’re most proud of?

I think the play that stands out the most this year, to me, is the touchdown at the end of the half against Alabama. I study the touchdowns across the NFL every week. That’s my Wednesday thing. I study the biggest plays, the touchdowns, and that play was hitting for touchdowns in three straight weeks. So we had put that play in the Thursday before. We had repped it once in practice. We repped it once in a walk-through, and it was the perfect opportunity, the perfect play. We got the perfect look. And to see that to come full circle, just to see that, ‘Hey, this was working for the Raiders, this was working for the Texans, this was working for these people,’ and for that to come in and work. And then you see last week, you’ll see we scored a touchdown in the back of the end zone to Justin Jefferson, and you rewind back a few weeks ago, you’ll see Mike Thomas score the exact same touchdown against the Tampa Bay Bucs. It’s a copycat league, and we did the same thing in New Orleans. We studied what other teams were doing. We all do it in the offseason. So if you had an opportunity to see what was working across the NFL and across college throughout the week, we were going to do it. Those are what’s fun, is seeing it having success at that level, having an idea, matching it up against defenses that you’re seeing from that standpoint and then seeing your guys being able to execute it just like they’re seeing some of their favorite players do. That’s what’s been kind of fun and rewarding.

I think what I’ve learned from some of the best coaches, it’s not about running a system and just plugging it in and saying, ‘this is what we’re doing.’ It’s about finding out what they do well and running those plays and putting them in the position to have success. I think from an offensive staff standpoint, I think that collectively, we did a great job, and it’s showed this year of putting those guys in the best position to have success.

So the system allows it to be fluid?

Yes. And what the system is, I have no idea. The system is going to change year to year. It’s all a product of what we have. If you’ve got four dynamic tight ends or four dynamic running backs, you have an extremely dual-threat quarterback—I don’t know what that system entails, but it’s our job as coaches to figure that out and work with things in the spring and fall and find a niche of who we’re going to be as an offense and what our system’s going to look like and kind of go from there.
Joe Brady Interview

Advertisement
"it’s not about running a system and just plugging it in and saying, ‘this is what we’re doing.’ It’s about finding out what they do well and running those plays and putting them in the position to have success."

Why is this so hard to understand for play callers at Miami? For ***** sake

Last edited:
"it’s not about running a system and just plugging it in and saying, ‘this is what we’re doing.’ It’s about finding out what they do well and running those plays and putting them in the position to have success."

Why is this so hard to understand for play callers at Miami. For ***** sake

Meyer has been saying this for years , make your system fit the players, not the other way around.

But how many times did we hear that from Enos in the summer and into the beginning of fall?

Advertisement

Because if the players just execute the plays that have worked for last 30 years then they would work!

As smoke has stated, we have had coaches to say that isht in the past. SUre wouldn't pay for me to be a local beat writer. They'd probably put my *** out. I'd bring up all of those soundbites that were obviously bs.

Advertisement
Why are we so bad at identifying (and hiring) young coaching talent? It completely baffles me.
Because the head coaches are incompetent
Meyer has been saying this for years , make your system fit the players, not the other way arou
Meyer has been saying this for years , make your system fit the players, not the other way around.
Square peg round hole philosophy. Martell perfect example brought in and forced to play under center. Clearly not what Martell does well. So make it work anyway. Result Martell is a total bust.

WE’VE been saying this for yrs since Golden. Not sure y ppl who have gone out their way to blame kids not see this crucial problem. I appreciate when a coach actually says this, but I guarantee we’ll see a coach defender come in to say the opposite.

There’s no doubt in my mind that if LSU’s coaching staff was here and Miami’s coaching staff was there, LSU would struggle to get to 6 wins while we would be in a dog fight w Clemson in the ACC Championship game, and in the discussion for a CFP (no I don’t think we would go undefeated, but for SURE no more than 2 losses on the season). I honestly feel this

Brady's responses made me mad. But in a good way. That's what coaches are supposed to do. Fit their "system" to the players that have. Its quite simple, but our coaches always seem to miss that. One day, one day....maybe

Advertisement

Our OC's continue putting a square peg into a round hole.

1576079690820.png
Want to wake up Christmas morning with the miracle gift of a new and excellent staff.

Advertisement
It's not only the problem that they don't fit the system around the players. It's that they're **** bent on making it work and refuse to adjust when it's pretty 'bleeping' clear.

Why is this so hard to understand for play callers at Miami? For ***** sake
Because our OC's and other coaches have huge egos and think their way is the only way.

It seems like an easy concept, to adjust your scheme to your players strengths, but sooo many coaches seem to lack the ability to honestly assess their players strengths and adjust their playcalling, system, etc accordingly.

Whether its Golden and his Big10 defense or Richt trying to make Kaaya a dual-threat when he's clearly a pocket passer. And this isnt just a problem at UM.

When you coach at a powerhouse with boosters that ensure you get your guys, its easy! But when you have to take who you can get, and adjust how you approach a game depending on what you can get, it really separates the coaches from the corches. That why guys like RHULE, MATT CAMPBELL, and PJ FLECK should be names we remember next year this time;)

Advertisement
Back