• Attention: Register today to view CanesInSight Ad-Free for 7 days.

Off-Topic January 6 committee

CFLCane

Junior
Premium
L O FUCKING L

Trump's defense head called attache in Rome to investigate baseless election claim about Italian satellites​

At the request of former chief of staff Mark Meadows, then-Defense Secretary Christopher Miller reached out to the defense attaché in Italy to investigate a baseless claim that an Italian satellite had switched votes from Donald Trump to Joe Biden, according to testimony at Thursday’s House Jan. 6 committee hearing.

The conspiracy theory, which CNN has previously reported was among those pushed Meadows pushed top national security officials to investigate, was characterized as “pure insanity” by former DOJ official Richard Donoghue, who was also asked to look into the claim.

After the DOJ refused to meet with the man who was pushing the baseless claim online, Meadows went to Department of Defense and asked Miller to follow-up on it.

“The ask for him was, can you call out to defense attaché Rome and find out what the heck’s going on? Because I’m getting all these weird crazy reports and probably the guy on the ground knows more than anything,” Miller told the committee during his closed-door interview, according to video of his deposition played Thursday.
Rep. Adam Kinzinger said Thursday that the committee confirmed a call was actually placed by Miller to the attaché in Italy to investigate the claim about Italian satellites.

Last edited:

CFLCane

Junior
Premium
Hang them all for treason. Let the birds eat their flesh.

“President Trump asked me to send you this letter. This letter is also pursuant to a request from Matt Gaetz,” the email said. “As such, I recommend that president give general (all purpose) pardons to the following groups of people,” which included one group of “every congressman and senator who voted to reject the electoral college vote submissions of Arizona and Pennsylvania.”

ItsMeD

Recruit
A lot of people in this country aren't grasping the severity of everything coming out of these hearings. Despite your political leanings, the former President of the United States knew he lost the election and, with a select group of followers, tried to prevent the transition of power. He, and at the very least everyone who requested a pardon, if not everyone else who was somehow complicit, should be tried for treason.

CaneinBroward

Recruit
A lot of people in this country aren't grasping the severity of everything coming out of these hearings. Despite your political leanings, the former President of the United States knew he lost the election and, with a select group of followers, tried to prevent the transition of power. He, and at the very least everyone who requested a pardon, if not everyone else who was somehow complicit, should be tried for treason.
Great post. The scary thing is it wasn't really a "select" group of followers. There seem to be a larger number of key players who were okay with that course of action and those who prevented it were relatively few. Over 120 House members and 6 Senators (14 were going to vote to reject, but after the riot, 8 of them were brought to their senses), state office holders, fake electors, really quite amazing.

Unfortunately, I don't think anything is going to happen. Too much tribalism nowadays. As long as "my" team wins, that's all that matters. Nixon is rolling around in his grave because he was born 50 years too early.

hotshot

Sophomore
Great post. The scary thing is it wasn't really a "select" group of followers. There seem to be a larger number of key players who were okay with that course of action and those who prevented it were relatively few. Over 120 House members and 6 Senators (14 were going to vote to reject, but after the riot, 8 of them were brought to their senses), state office holders, fake electors, really quite amazing.

Unfortunately, I don't think anything is going to happen. Too much tribalism nowadays. As long as "my" team wins, that's all that matters. Nixon is rolling around in his grave because he was born 50 years too early.
Yes. Nixon's offenses seem trivial now, compared to Trump's and those of his abettors.

CaneinBroward

Recruit
Enough of this Jan 6 mumbo jumbo, on topic boo shiz… back to oil!

I'm shocked you'd want to change the subject. The thread is only called "January 6 Committee". Like there is not an "Inflation" thread already.

1656033247309.png

ithacane

Original Grassy Gangster
Premium
I'm shocked you'd want to change the subject. The thread is only called "January 6 Committee". Like there is not an "Inflation" thread already.

View attachment 191607
Well, isn't Jan 6th committee on break until mid-July or something? And there was already oil/gas hijacking of this thread already... so figured ramp that baby back up! :LOL:

But I'll chat about Jan 6... I listened into some of it today. It was the most boring of all the testimony so far today I thought. What were your impressions? I'm still curious tho... is there going to be a smoking gun coming out or they just repeating all the stuff we already knew/know... just drawn out?

Empirical Cane

We are what we repeatedly do.
L O FUCKING L

Trump's defense head called attache in Rome to investigate baseless election claim about Italian satellites​

At the request of former chief of staff Mark Meadows, then-Defense Secretary Christopher Miller reached out to the defense attaché in Italy to investigate a baseless claim that an Italian satellite had switched votes from Donald Trump to Joe Biden, according to testimony at Thursday’s House Jan. 6 committee hearing.

The conspiracy theory, which CNN has previously reported was among those pushed Meadows pushed top national security officials to investigate, was characterized as “pure insanity” by former DOJ official Richard Donoghue, who was also asked to look into the claim.

After the DOJ refused to meet with the man who was pushing the baseless claim online, Meadows went to Department of Defense and asked Miller to follow-up on it.

Rep. Adam Kinzinger said Thursday that the committee confirmed a call was actually placed by Miller to the attaché in Italy to investigate the claim about Italian satellites.
Maybe, MAYBE it's possible. However, SECDEF does not call MAs.

Ever. They are miles apart on org chart.

Show me the transcript.

SECDEF probably asked about the pee tape...

oh wait....

CaneinBroward

Recruit
Well, isn't Jan 6th committee on break until mid-July or something? And there was already oil/gas hijacking of this thread already... so figured ramp that baby back up! :LOL:

But I'll chat about Jan 6... I listened into some of it today. It was the most boring of all the testimony so far today I thought. What were your impressions? I'm still curious tho... is there going to be a smoking gun coming out or they just repeating all the stuff we already knew/know... just drawn out?
To me, the committee is the formal, public presentation of the evidence and sworn testimony. So, it's not going to be too exciting. Yes, much of it was already reported by the news media, but many people don't trust the MSM. At least here, you see who the "sources" are, and it is sworn testimony. The vast majority of witnesses are Republicans and were part of the administration.

I do hope the DOJ does take up the investigation as there are so many witnesses who refused to participate and/or defied subpoenas. Plus, I would like to see the cross-examination of these witnesses because I'd like to see how the witnesses respond to a hostile inquisitor. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone will really be held responsible unless Eastman becomes Trump's "John Dean" to avoid taking the fall or something like that.

No matter what happens, Congress needs to provide some legislation so something like this doesn't happen again.

JD08

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
Maude
To me, the committee is the formal, public presentation of the evidence and sworn testimony. So, it's not going to be too exciting. Yes, much of it was already reported by the news media, but many people don't trust the MSM. At least here, you see who the "sources" are, and it is sworn testimony. The vast majority of witnesses are Republicans and were part of the administration.

I do hope the DOJ does take up the investigation as there are so many witnesses who refused to participate and/or defied subpoenas. Plus, I would like to see the cross-examination of these witnesses because I'd like to see how the witnesses respond to a hostile inquisitor. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone will really be held responsible unless Eastman becomes Trump's "John Dean" to avoid taking the fall or something like that.

No matter what happens, Congress needs to provide some legislation so something like this doesn't happen again.
Look at all the accusations of voter fraud, the whole mailboxes conspiracy, all these accusations about electors, all of it. Nobody will ever do anything about it because then they won't be able to cast doubts on the legitimacy of an elected official. There was a 0.00001% chance anything would overturn the election. Yet here we are going through this whole exercise that the GOP will ignore as a partisan investigation and nothing will happen.

I've always been one to call for an investigation of any misconduct, but do it with a commission that doesn't constantly have leaks, not a partisan congressional hearing. That just allows opponents to ignore the conclusions.

ithacane

Original Grassy Gangster
Premium

Yeah I get what u mean. I was a huge fan of Breaking Bad, but there were some episodes that were slow but necessary to setup the story.

I’ll be there for the finale! We’ll see if they deliver