Jalen Rivers...

Tayt21

Sophomore
Not saying if you can't do this without pads, that you suck with pads on...but you can't totally just disregard the outcome and movement
You make a good point about the movement. It is a good representation of their athleticism and footwork. You’re not wrong about that. It also does show their desire and willingness to compete. I’m just saying that losing reps in a drill designed for the defense to win doesn’t mean much to me.

He’s also taking reps at LT, and if I’m not mistaken he plays RT for his HS. Everyone thinks it’s so easy but literally everything is flipped. I’ve heard many NFL guys say it takes 3 months of training just to feel comfortable flipping sides of the line. The protections and assignments are even harder than re-training your body and brain according to many.

Tayt21

Sophomore
How are you doing Mr/Mrs Rivers... that’s a lot of excuses you presented...

I have no clue who he went up against but I feel a 4star talent should be better than that
Christ lol, I’m not a relative. I live in western Wisconsin... I’ve spent my whole life watching and following the Badgers, I know a lot about OL play. My girlfriend is a big Iowa fan, their OL is kinda good too... I’m also a huge OL enthusiast and I follow LeCharles Bentley (former Saints All-Pro C) and his OLPerformance crew and all their teachings.

All I’m saying is that saying this kid sucked bc he had a few bad reps is just foolish. Gotta look at the whole body of work.

CaneDog66

Sophomore
Agreed. He seemed to fair better on the 2nd rep but evaluating him off of just 2 in a camp setting does not make one a recruiting analyst. He plays up here in JVille/Middleburg area, will keep an eye out for him and the others were looking at from Oakleaf.

RedSquare

Freshman
1-on-1s without pads are worthless for OL. OL are set up to fail in this setting. There’s always a 2-way go for the rushers since they have no inside help, you have a stationary cone instead of a QB in the pocket that can step up, and they can’t anchor against a bull-rush or a speed-to-power rush because they don’t have the shoulder pads to lock into and anchor and settle down. I wouldn’t even take this into consideration when evaluating OL. Outside of times when players like Evan Neal dominate despite all of this, these are meaningless.
This post is on the money.

My old coach used to say to media and other interested types: "don't ask me how we look until we put the pads on!"

In camp setting for OL, about all you can see is how a players moves, get a bit of a sense of his balance, body type, flexibility, some things like that. But if you are a coach making strong evaluations in that setting? You're one step closer to being fired.

caneallday21

Senior
I haven't seen him enough to say for sure if he's a tackle or guard but those couple reps he looked disinterested but also looked like guard feet. No matter what if you win MVP you kinda were playing well so still take all day

Starts to seem like we aren't getting a kid and the threads about how he is trash anyway start up.

That train is never late...
I personally just think the games changing and am tired of fat, slow-footed, marginally athletic linemen here. Only so many times you can watch a linemen stumble after his man before he helps the QB up.

caneallday21

Senior
I've been busy lately so haven't been following his recruitment lately so are some of y'all mad because you rhink he aint comin?