IT’S TIME: Why Miami should leave the ACC and go to the AAC

Advertisement
Interesting, I would of that is was too radical for most. At least it’s an option to consider.
2D614005-2A3A-43A3-A991-C02BEDCE27D4.jpeg

Dude I was a consultant in the 90s when I was young and trying to climb the corporate ladder. I’ve been on the claims side of the insurance industry for the past 5 years. People are allowed to be and do more than one thing in life you know.
You should try it, I believe you can be anything you want to be, even if it’s a Chise groupie - I’m cool with it.

Why the hostility. It was just a question. I actually appreciated the thought out into this.

Advertisement
Firstly, let me say that I was a Managing Consultant for Fortune 500 companies in the past but I always took a different approach to considering whether a project was profitable or not. My time in the entertainment industry taught me that every successful project should tell an impactful story and I applied this knowledge to consulting. So I would always prepare a clear, concise, one-page treatment to any MC project just like a producer would; the difference being that I would present a spreadsheet instead of a synopsis of the script. No matter what, I would always let the numbers tell the story.

Thus I present several reasons as to why Miami should move to the AAC:

Miami is not a cultural fit for the ACC.
  • The ACC is primarily a wannabe Ivy League conglomerate that emphasizes basketball.
  • They only tolerate Miami for access to a primary market.
Miami is also an outlier geographically.
  • The bulk of the ACC is located in or near the Carolinas.
The ACC does not want to be represented by a school like Miami.
  • Therefore we will always get treated unfairly
  • Whether it’s biased officiating or out right racism which is documentable.
The ACC does not promote Miami, the most recognized brand in college football.
  • The ACCN is a clear example of of where the marketing priorities of the ACC lie, and it’s not UM.
The locations of ACC are not in ideal marketing locations.
  • The only rapidly growing areas outside of Miami are the research triangle and Tallahassee.
  • Both of these areas are negligible due to school loyalty and the meaningful population that impacts growth being transient students.
Miami is the largest metropolitan area and only primary market in the ACC but has no leverage.
  • The conference alignment is not set up correctly and the championship game is in Charlotte.
  • Neither of these are favorable for Miami.
The ACC only has 1 consistently ranked playoff team (Clemson) and is just as weak as the AAC.
  • The ACC is weaker now than its ever been on every level.
  • The national perception of the ACC is just as bad or worse than the ACC.
We have no built in rival in the ACC. Why are we traveling to Pitt or Duke on rivalry week?
  • The ACC didn’t provide any advantages in football or basketball.
The marketing value of cities in the ACC is far less than the AAC.

On the contrary:

The AAC misses Miami, the former Big East appreciated and celebrated Miami.
  • Miami instantly legitimizes the AAC as a Power conference.
  • UCF is consistently ranked and needs another high profile opponent.
Miami is a much better cultural fit in AAC.
  • The AAC has has much better metropolitan locations.
  • If you look at the states that produce the most NFL talent.
  • The AAC provides a much better recruiting advantage and marketing exposure.
  • Tampa, Orlando, Houston, Dallas, New Orleans, DMV, Philly, Ohio, Memphis, Ohio & Connecticut.
The AAC presents new marketing and greater opportunities for networks and sponsors.
  • Conference realignment could have UM playing in Florida or warm climates most of the season.
  • AAC locations would increase fan support due to ease of accessibility and desirable locations.
Because of weaker teams in the AAC, UM could schedule more high profile out of conference games.
  • AAC have several primary markets in cities that are thriving and growing.
  • We have built in rivals in the AAC.
  • We could possibly play FSU, UF, UCF, USF, FIU, FAU & FAMU In one season. True state champs.
We could add an up and coming Georgia State team and retain the ATL/GA market.
  • Adding Miami would make the AAC better than the ACC in football and closer in basketball.
We need our own conference.

It’s time - if you have UM connections, please submit this for real analysis. Thank you.
It’s always all about The U

View attachment 97063

They would lose over 40 percent of their budget...now with the ACC Network might be more $ they are giving up. So this ain’t ever gonna happen unless another Power 5 with matching or more guaranteed revenue steps up to the plate.

Miami is dead in terms of elite status just deal with it.
ESPN wants to make sure Miami stays that way. See https://www.espn.com/college-footba...he-bottom-10-welcomes-acc-former-pal-maryland

5. #goacc
Looking back, we should have seen this coming when the conference's Week 3 opener was contested by UNC and Wake Forest, two ACC teams playing in what didn't count as an actual ACC game. From there, it was like 24 hours of watching Howard's Rock roll down The Hill toward a bushel of crushed Oranges. BC became the first Power 5 team to lose a home game to Kansas in more than a decade. Florida State lost to Virginia for only the fourth time in 18 matchups. The Citadel used the same too-antiquated triple option playbook that essentially pushed Paul Johnson out at Georgia Tech... to beat Georgia Tech. Meanwhile, NC State and Pitt lost out-of-conference games that were actual out-of-conference games, while Virginia Tech should have lost to Furman. The ACC anchor weighed so heavy that No. 21 Maryland was upset by Temple, and the Terps left the conference six years ago.

ESPN/The Mouse have a conflict of interest between ACC contract and SEC contract.

You also do not understand how this works.

I'm a UM alum. I just got my e-mail from Julio Frenk, and we dropped in the academic rankings again. By the way, Miami does 5-year contracts with University presidents, and Frenk has 1 more year left, period. Donna got 3 contracts, Foote got 4. Stanford went 20 years. Pearson went 10 years. Ashe went 25 years.

So, yeah, the BoT has a lot on their plate, and I'm hoping we get a clean sweep on University president and UM AD in 2020. But this nonsense about the BoT "not caring" and "wanting to be cheap" is just insane.

The US News Rankings are the #1 issue on their minds. And one of the key factors (and way to jack yourself up in the rankings) is based on SELECTIVITY INDEX. That means, we need a ****e-ton more people to apply to UM. And one of the key drivers of that metric (because, hey, we ARE talking about 17 year olds) is having a winning football team. That is why F$U climbed the academic issue when Jimbo and his rapists were winning football games, and it is why UM has been sliding since the early days of Shalala and the dominance of the 2000-2002 teams.

They get it. But we have also been hamstrung by sub-standard ACC and Nike revenues. We are catching back up, and when we start posting 10+ win seasons, I can "visionary-like" predict the future, which is that UM's academic rankings will begin to climb again.

The UM Board of Trustees is not like the owners of the Pittsburgh Pirates or Kansas City Royals (at least until a few years ago), content to field losing teams while raking in cash. The UM BoT doesn't get a dime for running a "cheap" football team. If anything, they would try to divert more resources if they could be guaranteed wins (and the eventual bump in academic rankings).

So, yeah, it's time to flush Julio and Blake and start fresh, but it would also be helpful to give Manny and Dan slightly more than 2 games to change the offense that Richt left us with.

It's funny you say this. I remember after we hosted gameday and beat the **** out of ND in 2017, the school said it received an influx of applications the next week. I'm not exactly sure the scale of it, but I feel like they said it was more than they could keep up with

Not a fan of the ACC but I've seen UCF have back to back undefeated seasons with no chance of getting a playoff invite. Simply because the AAC is a crappy conference. Moving Miami, who's been an 8 win program for 15 years, into that conference doesn't do much to legitimize it either.

I say we take some of our old Big East buddies (BC, VT, Pitt, Syracuse) grab FSU and Lousiville and a handful of the better AAC teams (UCF, Cincinatti, maybe USF and/or Memphis) and make our own football-centric conference that doesn't revolve 100% around tobacco road and basketball schools. None of these schools outside of Syracuse is a super serious basketball school. It's got a good balance of power. It's a majority east coast affiliation so no ridiculous traveling or playing to fans on the other side of the country who don't care. It gives some of the AAC programs who are desperate for a chance to compete at the highest levels some legitimacy too.

Total pipe dream, I know but it would be a cool conference.
The more I think about it and after seeing how trash the ACC is already this season, I think you’re right. It’s going to take at least a 16 team conference and more than just UM.

Advertisement
Firstly, let me say that I was a Managing Consultant for Fortune 500 companies in the past but I always took a different approach to considering whether a project was profitable or not. My time in the entertainment industry taught me that every successful project should tell an impactful story and I applied this knowledge to consulting. So I would always prepare a clear, concise, one-page treatment to any MC project just like a producer would; the difference being that I would present a spreadsheet instead of a synopsis of the script. No matter what, I would always let the numbers tell the story.

• The ACC is primarily a wannabe Ivy League conglomerate that emphasizes basketball.
  • The ACCN is a clear example of of where the marketing priorities of the ACC lie, and it’s not UM.
  • The only rapidly growing areas outside of Miami are the research triangle and Tallahassee.
  • Both of these areas are negligible due to school loyalty and the meaningful population that impacts growth being transient students.
Miami is the largest metropolitan area and only primary market in the ACC but has no leverage.
  • The conference alignment is not set up correctly and the championship game is in Charlotte.
The ACC only has 1 consistently ranked playoff team (Clemson) and is just as weak as the AAC.
We have no built in rival in the ACC. Why are we traveling to Pitt or Duke on rivalry week?

On the contrary:

• Tampa, Orlando, Houston, Dallas, New Orleans, DMV, Philly, Ohio, Memphis, Ohio & Connecticut.
The AAC presents new marketing and greater opportunities for networks and sponsors.
  • Conference realignment could have UM playing in Florida or warm climates most of the season.
  • AAC locations would increase fan support due to ease of accessibility and desirable locations.
Because of weaker teams in the AAC, UM could schedule more high profile out of conference games.
  • We could possibly play FSU, UF, UCF, USF, FIU, FAU & FAMU In one season. True state champs.
  • Adding Miami would make the AAC better than the ACC in football and closer in basketball.

It’s time - if you have UM connections, please submit this for real analysis. Thank you.

View attachment 97063

Absolutely INSIGHTFUL take and what not. I've been opining approximately 80% of your talking points for the past six or seven seasons now. Albeit NOT in the same educated precise numbers-laden manner. hUh

Also, the PAC-12 conference would be an awesome place for Miami. Because one takes away small-town obscure Oregon St. and WSU, the conference is is URBAN ORIENTED and what not. dUh In other words, Miami wouldn't have to deal with GOOD OL' BOY-ism and all that! Heck, have both Central Florida and Miami, Florida join the PAC-12 now!

Yeah, yeah, yeah. The PAC-12 is too much of a BLUE STATE conference. SO WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, Cane hoops fans could listen to that eccentric HIPPIE ( William Theodore Walton, III. ) on ESPN college basketball telecasts.

Advertisement
OP’s proposal is dead on arrival when the outcome is moving down to a G5 conference.

I don’t care how well argued and well presented the proposal is, when the outcome is horseshlt, why bother?

In all fairness, and in the interest of full disclosure, here are some of OP’s past marketing campaigns and business proposals.

Apparently these sere also very well written and were accepted for distribution.

0BDD0E08-7CE8-4336-B5CE-32888F166D3E.jpeg

534B0AE2-CB6E-47CE-9D6D-51EF36EBAAC8.jpeg

3D08E620-DFB1-4237-91C2-F6B892822FDE.jpeg

4A8A87AD-8451-4147-B2F2-817B303E1870.jpeg

CFD8AF60-295C-4E73-BCCA-6471D2034FD8.jpeg

DAA78AF4-A216-45DB-A91C-1E0A8C2F21FC.jpeg

So you propose we leave a power 5 conference and join a conference that will never play for a national title and makes up national championships?

Advertisement
What do pitt,va tech,Syracuse and B.C. do it we explore other options.Will they do the same since they followed us into the acc. and fsu how do they feel about the acc.acc might make a few concessions knowing they'd be losing over half it's market value.I'm sure espn/Disney would be having nightmares over that scenario.

OP, appreciate the laugh...

Let me share with you exactly what would happen the moment Miami leaves for the AAC. Drum roll please....……….UCF joins the ACC!

The other piece to this is that no one would show up to Canes games if they joined the AAC. Biggest draw would be USF every other year bringing in maybe 45,000.

On the contrary:

View attachment 97063

Miami is a private school in need of outside revenue streams.

adidas pays the University of Miami an assload of money. You know who else pays a huge amount; the ACC with their shared rev deal—even bigger with the new ACC Network.

Money talks—and UM needs cash. Going to the AAC would be a huge blow financially. Period, end of story.

Advertisement
Back