Interesting NCAA development: UCF wins bowl ban appeal

and they were charged with LOIC

Reports: UCF wins appeal with NCAA

By Chris Huston | College Football Writer
April 19, 2013 4:24 pm ET

Blake Bortles and UCF can go to a bowl this fall. (USATSI) Blake Bortles and UCF can go to a bowl this fall. (USATSI)

It's rare that a school wins an appeal with the NCAA, but sources have confirmed to Bruce Feldman and Jeremy Fowler of CBSSports.com that a report on Friday from the Orlando Sentinel is true: UCF's appeal of a portion of its probation has succeeded and the Knights will be eligible for postseason play this coming fall.

The NCAA originally hit UCF with probation last August. Citing lack of institutional control, the NCAA penalized the Knights with five years of probation, a postseason ban in men's basketball and football, show-cause orders for athletics department personnel, scholarship reductions, recruiting restrictions, a vacation of men's basketball records and a $50,000 fine.

However, this past January UCF appealed the one-year postseason ban for football, which would've taken effect for the 2013 season (its first in the Big East). Those present at the appeal included UCF President John Hitt and athletic director Todd Stansbury.

They must have made a good case, for the NCAA generally doesn't like to correct itself. From 2001-2008, only three out of 29 cases before the Appeals Committee were granted reversals.

Advertisement
Actual administrators were involved and hit with show-causes, UCF got LOIC, and I believe they were repeat offenders...and they get off.

And here we are getting LOIC for a couple rogue assistants who probably only got show-causes because the NCAA believes they're lying.

This **** with us needs to be over.

Oh Mark......

****, I'm so sick of the NCAA, In my opinion they are nothing but abusing their authority. Let some schools do whatever they want and stick it to others, corrupt as ****.

Advertisement
ucf being...being, well, uh...ummm, ucf is punishment enough for them. 2* to 3* recruits year in and year out...roster filled w/ big boy school's castoff's (including usf). Players from schools w/i a 15 min. drive don't give them the time of day (Dr. Phillips, Jones, Hagarty, Timber Creek, Apopka, Seminole, etc.). O'Leary quoted as saying we're not recruiting players at the HS Football championships 'cause we already filled our class.' They're borderline 2A...or whatever that's called now.

They're doing this so that when they deny our appeal, we can't just say "well they never grant appeals"

They're preparing for this thing to go to court IMO

I think they might be throwing this one out so that maybe they can throw ours out too? I mean, is that too far out of the realm of possibility? Could Emmertt have realized that his neck is far beyond on the line with this one? I think they did it so when some people are outraged at ours being dismissed, he can refer to this, say "Hey, these guys did much worse and got off", and this will all be over.

****. I woke up

Advertisement
I think they might be throwing this one out so that maybe they can throw ours out too? I mean, is that too far out of the realm of possibility? Could Emmertt have realized that his neck is far beyond on the line with this one? I think they did it so when some people are outraged at ours being dismissed, he can refer to this, say "Hey, these guys did much worse and got off", and this will all be over.

****. I woke up

More like they are trying to get in good with the FLA legislature, so when they nail us they're less likely to get sued by the state.

"Yeah we nailed Miami but we let UCF go."

This is either to create a precedent to drop our case come June or to drop the hammer. Very strange ruling by the NCAA. It's set up I believe to set a precedent. We just won't know what that precedent is until june

This is either to create a precedent to drop our case come June or to drop the hammer. Very strange ruling by the NCAA. It's set up I believe to set a precedent. We just won't know what that precedent is until june

UCF winning an appeal isn't the same as the COI dropping our case before it ever gets to them.

****. I woke up

More like they are trying to get in good with the FLA legislature, so when they nail us they're less likely to get sued by the state.

I very rarely agree with you but I do here....

Advertisement

****. I woke up

I very rarely agree with you but I do here....

Why would the Florida legislature care? UM is a private school. I don't think that they'd have any kind of standing to sue...

I honestly don't think this makes much of a difference. UCF isn't a threat to anything, so they saw no reason for them to be given a bowl ban given the other penalties.

Miami has already had TWO bowl bans. There is nothing the NCAA can do to erase that at this point They can only add more, and this UCF ruling can only help our cause.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back