The Unthinkable I: IMG as a Pipeline School? It's a Miami Takeover

Advertisement
Building a pipeline from IMG sounds great but it's easier said than done. Most of their kids aren't from Florida. A lot of them play two or three years out of state before transferring to IMG late. We've been able to land Williams, Mauigoa and Wayne because they were all west coast kids that Mario had been recruiting at Oregon for years. If you wait for these kids to transfer to IMG before you recruit them, you're already way behind the game.
I tried to explain this in a prior post discussing the same thing.

IMG will never be a pipeline for a certain school...BECAUSE majority of thier kids are from out of state and are kind of placed or nudge by the schools. They appeared to be an SEC school...because alot of their kids were from SEC states (TX, Louisiana, Georgia ,etc)...are you really gonna call the Jayden Wayne types an IMG kid when he will be there for a semester?. **** Malik Bryant is an Orlando Jones kid even though he also played at IMG.

Also like i stated b4...IMG seldom has SOUTH FLORIDA kids....when Jacorey Brooks transferred to IMG that signaled he was locked in to Bama for me.

IMG will never be a pipeline for a certain school...BECAUSE majority of thier kids are from out of state and are kind of placed or nudge by the schools.
And a related point. For a true pipeline, kids in one class influence kids in the classes below to attend a specific university. Since IMG has massive turnover every year, that legacy bonding never happens. You've got to building that bond prior to the kid getting to IMG and/or have the kid placed at IMG. So this is a totally different pipeline to build.

Advertisement
And a related point. For a true pipeline, kids in one class influence kids in the classes below to attend a specific university. Since IMG has massive turnover every year, that legacy bonding never happens. You've got to building that bond prior to the kid getting to IMG and/or have the kid placed at IMG. So this is a totally different pipeline to build.
CORRECT thats how you do it. They have a kid one year the next year kid transfers back home, etc.

The key is to hone in on kids BEFORE. A good thing to do would be to hit those states like Mass,CT, Oregon,Washington for kids and get them placed at IMG for a year..States with not so good high school ball.....but might be a high 3 star/4 star level kid your targeting...and put it in play.

Building a pipeline from IMG sounds great but it's easier said than done. Most of their kids aren't from Florida. A lot of them play two or three years out of state before transferring to IMG late. We've been able to land Williams, Mauigoa and Wayne because they were all west coast kids that Mario had been recruiting at Oregon for years. If you wait for these kids to transfer to IMG before you recruit them, you're already way behind the game.
They ain't from Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina or Ohio either.

So, it's still an advantage because the kids get a taste of life in Florida.

Let's face it. NIL is a game changer with top level recruits. With big NIL money, families are able to move to where their son is going to school which makes Miami even more attractive to the top prospects.

No Pipeline...... more like a Super Mario Highway to Canes.
I get your point re: Highway but if we are going with a Super Mario theme, you have to stick with pipeline!

1659122667249.png

Advertisement
I tried to explain this in a prior post discussing the same thing.

IMG will never be a pipeline for a certain school...BECAUSE majority of thier kids are from out of state and are kind of placed or nudge by the schools. They appeared to be an SEC school...because alot of their kids were from SEC states (TX, Louisiana, Georgia ,etc)...are you really gonna call the Jayden Wayne types an IMG kid when he will be there for a semester?. **** Malik Bryant is an Orlando Jones kid even though he also played at IMG.

Also like i stated b4...IMG seldom has SOUTH FLORIDA kids....when Jacorey Brooks transferred to IMG that signaled he was locked in to Bama for me.
Definitely not a pipeline school and never will be, but it is a huge benefit to us that it gather so many elite kids so close to us that we normally wouldn’t have a lot of access to

Like you correctly pointed out it’s not SFLA kids there very often

Advertisement
Well, well, well. IMG DT Will Norman wearing a Miami hat and throwing up the U

1659131393882.png

Last edited:
Advertisement
True...but I have a feeling Mario hasn't been and won't be waiting for them to transfer to IMG....

Well, well, well. IMG DT Will Norman wearing a Miami hat and throwing up the U at FNL

View attachment 201810

That was IMG earlier not at FNL

Our staff is making a conscious effort to turn IMG into a "pipeline".
As much as it can be.
We can't get ALL of their best kids obviously, but IMG is becoming very pro-Miami.

@Coach a question and maybe @LCE or @lindend can chime in to answer.

What is the benefit of a kid going to IMG for a year? Is it the coaching? The competition?

I know it’s an expensive private school but most states have those private schools that recruit the top players to them so what’s the draw to leave home and head to IMG for a few months….

Advertisement
Back