• Attention: Register today to view CanesInSight Ad-Free for 7 days.

IMG as a Pipeline School? It's a Miami Takeover

sfowler06

Junior
@Coach a question and maybe @LCE or @lindend can chime in to answer.

What is the benefit of a kid going to IMG for a year? Is it the coaching? The competition?

I know it’s an expensive private school but most states have those private schools that recruit the top players to them so what’s the draw to leave home and head to IMG for a few months….

Not them but good attention...

Coach Macho

aka Beardy Ryan

What is the benefit of a kid going to IMG for a year? Is it the coaching? The competition?

I know it’s an expensive private school but most states have those private schools that recruit the top players to them so what’s the draw to leave home and head to IMG for a few months….
Better coaching?
Clout?
Exposure?
The experience?
Development?

I'm not really sure.
Leaving your hometown and all of your friends to attend an academy and have no chance at winning a state title?

🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Maybe someone else can rationalize it to me.

Rod Is Godly

Greentree All-American
Just some random thoughts

-The key to the IMG pipeline probably won’t be building relationships with kids and then them influencing the younger classes. Probably better off building super solid relationships with the coaches and staff at IMG and having them recruit the kids for you.

-Just because a kid is sent from a school to go to IMG doesn’t mean they end up going to that school. Jaleel Skinner comes to mind.

-IMG probably has more support staff and funding than a lot of regular HS so I could see players getting better personal development there. I wonder how many IMG kids end up getting significant playing time as college freshman compared to other HS

dycane

Senior
If Florida doesn’t change its law, many of the top guys are going to move to California to play next year.

TheRichtShow

Sophomore
Premium

-The key to the IMG pipeline probably won’t be building relationships with kids and then them influencing the younger classes. Probably better off building super solid relationships with the coaches and staff at IMG and having them recruit the kids for you.

-Just because a kid is sent from a school to go to IMG doesn’t mean they end up going to that school. Jaleel Skinner comes to mind.

-IMG probably has more support staff and funding than a lot of regular HS so I could see players getting better personal development there. I wonder how many IMG kids end up getting significant playing time as college freshman compared to other HS

IMG coaches aren't going to recruit kids to any specific college (unless they want to get fired). IMG is all about maximizing opportunties, not pushing kids places.

That means Mario can do well at IMG because they at least aren't negatively recruiting Miami (unlike certain other HS).

Rod Is Godly

Greentree All-American
IMG coaches aren't going to recruit kids to any specific college (unless they want to get fired). IMG is all about maximizing opportunties, not pushing kids places.

That means Mario can do well at IMG because they at least aren't negatively recruiting Miami (unlike certain other HS).
I agree, this makes sense. I guess Mario’s job is to prove to those coaches that Miami can be the best opportunity.

While I don’t think the IMG coaches are pushing kids places, they must have their own biases that influence kids

Coach Macho

aka Beardy Ryan

That's a great question

hollyhood27

Sophomore

Most kids go to get even more college ready. They operate just like a college with how their daily schedule is set up (training table, classes, study hall, workouts, sports science etc.)

They use the same technology colleges use. Fully integrated Catapult equipment and film. The coaching staff might turnover quite a bit but the Off the field staff is top notch and do a good job.

hollyhood27

Sophomore
Better coaching?
Clout?
Exposure?
The experience?
Development?

I'm not really sure.
Leaving your hometown and all of your friends to attend an academy and have no chance at winning a state title?

🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Maybe someone else can rationalize it to me.
I wouldn't even go with exposure bc a majority of the kids that transfer are already heavily recruited. They mainly to fast track their development (in theory).

Cajuncane

Senior
Premium
Most kids go to get even more college ready. They operate just like a college with how their daily schedule is set up (training table, classes, study hall, workouts, sports science etc.)

They use the same technology colleges use. Fully integrated Catapult equipment and film. The coaching staff might turnover quite a bit but the Off the field staff is top notch and do a good job.

Thanks for the response