Idea for a JUCO in South Florida

80s

Sophomore
Why hasnt this happened ever?

Why do the top recruits who dont qualify go to JUCOs located in states like Kansas or small hick towns?

Why doesnt some rich ppl get richer but setting up a junior college based in South Florida?

They could make tons of money fielding a football team full of the myriad of 4 & 5 star kids who dont qualify or get kicked out of school?

It would be nice for the Canes to have a reputable JUCO in our backyard to pluck a few kids from each year

Advertisement
Junior colleges are state run. From what I understand, the cost of football programs at Florida junior colleges has been deemed too high.

$.
I'm sure there could be a statewide JUCO football program except for the money.
You think it would be easy to convince the Florida population to institute something like an income tax to pay for JUCO football?
We can't even convince 50K to attend football games 6 times a year.

JUCO football in Florida would do well. Kansas, Texas, Mississippi, Arizona and California are strong, with California and Texas being the strongest. Funding would have to come from local corporate sponsorship and not every CC in Florida could financially support a team. Sixteen teams would be a good size with 8 from Orlando south and 8 from Volusia County north and into the panhandle. It would create a good opportunity for student athletes to continue playing football in school and hopefully continue at a 4 year school. Non-scholarship financial aid based tuition.

Would b perfect for kids like Terry & EJ

Let them stay local, keep bond with UM teaammates, straighten up for a year or 2, then bac to UM

It is actually a brilliant idea now that i think bout it

Advertisement
$.
You think it would be easy to convince the Florida population to institute something like an income tax to pay for JUCO football?

It should be able to pay for itself.

Junior colleges are state run. From what I understand, the cost of football programs at Florida junior colleges has been deemed too high.

Just use the money they obviously aren't putting into the academic system

$.

Alabama bagmen themselves could keep the system running.

Broward Community College would be a great starting point and they can have their games at Lockhart Stadium. ijs

Advertisement
$.

Alabama bagmen themselves could keep the system running.

Where the **** are they getting all this money in Alabama? There's probably more money in Coral Gables than all of Alabama put together.

This is actually brilliant

Would benefit us so much

Imagine being able to save an AJ Leggett or AJL send them to JUCO and get them back

I played JUCO ball in at Laney in Oakland, California. This year they are building a first class student center, training complex with coaches offices and press box. Hard to believe in bankrupt California, but the Peralta College district is one of the better one's in the state. JUCO is a good option.

Advertisement
It would not pay for itself. Junior college football would not generate revenue in South Florida...the Marlins can't even draw a crowd when they are making a World Series run.

Advertisement
State legislation banned community colleges from having football programs

I know the state legislature was talking about lifting the ban in the late 80's then again about 6 or 7 years ago. I'm not sure if they lifted the ban then.

State legislation banned community colleges from having football programs

I know the state legislature was talking about lifting the ban in the late 80's then again about 6 or 7 years ago. I'm not sure if they lifted the ban then.

Great idea, who is going to pay for this?
Folks forget that each of the 3 main Miami-Dade campuses used to have their own athletic teams, and several years ago these sports teams
were contracted to one team representing all Miami-Dade campuses for each sport.
All this because of budget issues with the Florida community colleges.
So who is going to pay for football, which is a very expensive sport to run?

To add to what everyone else has said, majority of JC are located in the country, far away from major cities. So there's really no distractions for the players, all there is is football and school. In SFL not so much...Majority of the kids at JCs' goofed off in high school, hence, why there at JUCO. Now put them in SFL and you can pretty much guess the outcome.

Advertisement
Back