How in the **** does the whole Co-Defensive coordinator thing work anyway?

Advertisement
If its one helping the other come up with the game plan and one calling the plays on gameday it can work, but is kindve a waste.

If its both of them with equal responsibility it will really complicate something that is supposed to be cut and dry.

Lord help us.

Advertisement
Pre-game, I think one is focused on the run game and the other the passing game.

During the game I would imagine one would call the shots while the other (and the HC) chimes in from time to time.

Interesting, Bama lists Tosh Lupoi as Defensive Coordinator/Outside Linebackers coach and Pete Golding as Co-Defensive Coordinator/Inside Linebackers coach. Lupoi was promoted from Co-Coordinator to Coordinator. Lupoi earns $1.1M and Golding $650K. I’m guessing Lupoi calls the game. You have to think some of the titles are just to justify paying more money.

Patke and Banda will both create the game plan. And it’s on Patke to implement the game plan during the week of practice and getting it across to the players. Banda will then call the plays on game day.

Sounds right.

Go Canes

They’ll place a cracker in a bowl of water and beat their meat on top of it. Whomever sinks the cracker calls the plays that week.

Advertisement
They both call in a play and QB plays Rock Paper Scissors with the center to see which one they run..

I've seen teams have one person calling what the D-Line does, the other the secondary. Maybe that's the plan.

Advertisement
I'm not concerned about the co-DC structure that we're implementing. It happens at a number of colleges.

My concern is we have two guys that are very green that are going to be co-DCs. I would've liked more experience, but lets see how this works out.

It's lazy and exactly what I would expect from Richt. That is what any of you guys would be saying if this is what our rivals just did. Not so much the titles, but making a non-hire with no experience at said position. You would follow that up with, Miami isn't the place to learn your role.

Advertisement
My opinion:

Simpson is now top dog in the defensive meeting room, just as Richt is on offense.

Brown and Dugans are co-OCs but they answer to Richt.

Patke and Banda are co-DCs but will answer to Associate HC Simpson.

The co-coordinator title is just that -- a title.

A clever way to ensure that those guys wouldn't bolt.

Offense: Richt, Brown, Dugans, Hartley, Searels, Richt

Defense: Simpson, Banda, Patke, Rumph, TBA

38053.jpeg

Lazy hire like most of Richt's hires. He could have brought in an Experienced DC and retained Banda and Patke.
No. You don't get it. I'm sure Manny offered Banda and Patke DC positions at Temple. So, they would not have stayed at UM without promotions.

Advertisement
Back