How in the **** does the whole Co-Defensive coordinator thing work anyway?

Canez1

OG
With neither guy having any DC experience, does one call the shots until they **** the bed then the other one gets a crack at it or do they just split it by quarters or halves? Reminds me of our QB situation.

Note: I edited my original post to more accurately phrase my question.

Last edited:
Advertisement
4FF8D558-F145-4D43-A8D2-A856A801D9A5.png

A guess would be that they come up with the plays together and one gives a set of suggestions for a play and the other picks from the list. So patke could say hey we should run one of these 3 and banda choses one or the other way around. Or this could have been a way to keep patke cause this also comes with a raise.

Advertisement
Does one call the shots until they **** the bed then the other one gets a crack at it or do they just split it by quarters or halves? Reminds me of our QB situation.
This was a smart move by Richt. It is obvious that Banda and Patke were headed to Temple with Manny. The promotion solved the problem of a DC and prevented 2 more staff members from leaving. Since Banda had been with Manny for so long, I would expect that he will make the "in-game" decisions. My expectations is that we role with the same defensive blueprint that Manny laid out. This way Banda and Patke can start working on the decommits to try to get them back in the fold and also sure up the recruits already committed. Had Banda and Patke left, we would have lost most of our defensive recruits.

This buys Richt a year to find another DC if Banda and/or Patke are not up to the task, but I think Banda will show his chops after working several years with Diaz.

Advertisement
One stays upstairs in the box and the other on the field. The man upstairs relays how the defense is setting up and the man on the field calls the play that , presumably, works best against the defensive formation.

One stays upstairs in the box and the other on the field. The man upstairs relays how the defense is setting up and the man on the field calls the play that , presumably, works best against the defensive formation.
I expect Banda to be on the field. He has spent many years with Diaz so I would expect that he could call the plays in his sleep. Let's not forget that coaching is a fraternity. Banda will be bouncing things off Diaz whenever he needs to.

Advertisement
Both call a play, and a coin is flipped, with the respective coaches side of the coin being the call that ends up on the field. This will be our missing coach position instead of an OC by the way, coin flipper.

Advertisement
Does one call the shots until they **** the bed then the other one gets a crack at it or do they just split it by quarters or halves? Reminds me of our QB situation.

Whoever answers the most questions during Richt's Weekly Bible Study, calls the game.

Hit, Stick and Walk With The Lord.....

They have to share headsets , call sheets and the occasional coaches jackets. Think of the movie “ stuck on you “

Possibilities:
- Both provide joint framework for overall defensive plan
- One is probably "first among equals", other is more "deputy"
- One has responsibility to review opponents air attack, other ground
- One focuses on up front prep, other backend
- Curious how final call is made when presenting plan to HC prior to game
- Etc. Etc. Etc.

Actually not a bad way of doing it provided they work as an effective team. Any quality leader(s) could execute this blind folded.

Being a OC/DC/HC is really not that hard. Doesn't take away from skill or professionalism, but it's not that hard.

Advertisement
Back