how do we compete?

sitzee

Freshman
FootballScoop Staff @FootballScoop

The Denver Post is reporting that Florida is paying CSU $5 million cash now & $2 million in the future w a game to be played at UF

Here's a school that won't except mediocrity, not only do they buy out Muschamp, but they are willing to pay above and beyond to get the Coach they want...

Maybe, we can't compete dollar wise but the administration has to make an attempt to upgrade the Staff.. Whether that's forcing Golden's hand and replacing No'D and some of his position coaches or ousting Golden and most of the staff..

If they sit and do nothing what kind of signals are they sending to recruits? It's ok we have continuity and we'll get them next year?

These kids aren't Dumb and they'll see right through that BS.. They know Golden's MO, win against the Arkansas State, FAMU, and pull out a win against a mid level opponent (Duke, Virginia Tech, etc...) but bring in a real opponent FSU and it's all downhill after that...

If the administration sits on their hands and do nothing, then 2015 will be a lost year and our team will be a year older, we will have lost out on some recruits that belong at The U but made their way to other schools and made those programs stronger....

Advertisement
Maybe, we can't compete dollar wise but the administration has to make an attempt to upgrade the Staff.. Whether that's forcing Golden's hand and replacing No'D and some of his position coaches

Not good enough.

Compete by making good decisions to begin with. UM has hired bad coaches. Cash wise we can't compete with the UFs of the world but I doubt UM is hurting for money. Don't let all the talk about lack of money fool you.

Miami has money but shalala has executed her plan of planting an absurd amount of academic only focused bodies on the board of trustees who don't know the importance of financially backing a football program as it should be. Over the last 13 years she has elevated her power by reducing coaching salaries and by hiring a puppet of an ad in Blake james who has no real power....

Advertisement
sick of all these "making golden change staff" statements. nothing will happen. golden needs to go

Miami loves to play the victim role in saying they don't have any money. I don't care any way you slice it if miami can raise 2 billion in fundraising they can pay a 7 million dollar buyout with ease..... After all Miami's football program was used as a sacrificial lamb by shalala to reinforce her academic agenda in the early 2000s when the money that we gained from the national championship should have upgraded football facilities and ultimately should have went back into the program.

Because Florida has a ton of money. Why on god's green earth is Jim McElwain a slam dunk? Yes, he's done a good job with Colorado State this year, but it's the Mountain West. If you take his 4 years at Alabama out of the equation, he has a relatively pedestrian resume. Good position coach and coordinator at 1AA schools in the late 80s and 90s. Position coach at Louisville. Followed John L. Smith to Michigan State. His offenses were decent but hardly speculator. Goes to the Raiders, gets fired after one year with Art Shell. Goes to Fresno for 1 year then gets hired by Saban. McElwain leaves Alabama for Colorado State and Alabama offensively doesn't miss a beat with Nussmeier. Nussmeier splits for Michigan and he's getting canned with Hoke.

All I can say is Foley may be reaching here. I think Bernie Machen had more to do with hiring Urban Meyer than Foley. The Gates are spending a lot of money on this guy. It's not like they're buying out a Nick Saban or Les Miles or even a Gary Patterson or Art Briles.

Miami can buy out Golden and hire a good football coach. Whether it happens in the next few weeks or next year, it's pretty much a foregone conclusion at this point barring a miracle. After going through 3 coaches in under 10 years I don't think money will be the major player with the next guy. I can see you paying out in the $3.5 million range per year for the right guy.

Last edited:
Because Florida has a ton of money. Why on god's green earth is Jim McElwain a slam dunk? Yes, he's done a good with Colorado State this year, but it's the Mountain West. If you take his 4 years at Alabama out of the equation, he has a relatively pedestrian resume. Good position coach and coordinator at 1AA schools in the late 80s and 90s. Position coach at Louisville. Followed John L. Smith to Michigan State. His offenses were decent but hardly speculator. Goes to the Raiders, gets fired after one year with Art Shell. Goes to Fresno for 1 year then gets hired by Saban. McElwain leaves Alabama for Colorado State and Alabama offensively doesn't miss a beat with Nussmeier. Nussmeier splits for Michigan and he's getting canned with Hoke.

All I can say is Foley may be reaching here. I think Bernie Machen had more to do with hiring Urban Meyer than Foley. The Gates are spending a lot of money on this guy. It's not like they're buying out a Nick Saban or Les Miles or even a Gary Patterson or Art Briles.

Miami can buy out Golden and hire a good football. Whether it happens in the next few weeks or next year, it's pretty much a foregone conclusion at this point barring a miracle.

I agree with this, Foley is putting his neck on the line with this hire. Freeze turning them down kind of forced them into it, but man... you have to think there are better options out there for a program with as much money as UF.

Advertisement
Blake James could easily fire D'Onforio which would cause Golden to go out an look for another job. Just a note, I'm aware that D'Onofrio is not the main problem here.

Advertisement
Back